House Price Crash Forum

Interesting question...I guess my ideal house would be modern, with 4 bedrooms, with a nice big garden, easy off road parking for 2 cars and plenty of stuff nearby within walking distance.  I'm not sure that's really a "dream" home though, more just like the things I prefer.  Of those 6 wish-list requirements my current house has 4, hence why I suppose one day it would be nice to live somewhere that ticks them all. 

The idea of a true "dream" or "forever" home doesn't really work for me - what i wanted when i was single, right now with young kids, and when i'm old, are all different.  It seems natural to move house as your life evolves and not hit a single "dream".

Working on 160 acres backing onto the crown forests, with a passively-heated house that can produce its own power from solar and wind.

And bears, to discourage trespassers.

Haven't found the right piece of land yet.

Large, not near people, and with enough land for the cats and dogs to roam without fear of getting run over.

A large study, oak panelled of course, maybe with an attached library.

A kitchen with an island. Don't know why, but that to me means success.

A dining room table large enough to get an 8 player Twilight Imperium game going with enough room left for snacks.

And a bed big enough to fit those 3 laydeez on ^^^^

Working class (not benefits class or students) area within 3 miles of Leeds city centre where I work, preferably not far from the Leeds Liverpool canal green corridor. Near or overlooking a park. 4 good double bedrooms, sufficient garden for a game of 5 a side, no preference for terrace/detached etc. Massive cottage style kitchen diner. 5 minute walk to Aldi. I like entertaining. I don't like posh tw8ts.

Edited by Si1

I had a list of 5 wants in my dream flat. My current flat ticks 4 of the boxes. Alas, it does not have a lift!

As I recall, the other 'wants' were a large balcony, 2 bathrooms, in my preferred area, close to the underground.

Edited by Badhairday

I live in what most peoples idea of a dream home would be, trouble is it's not mine. And in reality I could live anywhere reasonable safe and be not too fussed about it. Worst thing with housing is having no off street parking and scummy neighbours. I had filthy druggie scum next to me in a brand new flat rented out to HA never again. I did get rid of them though.

Here 4 beds 2 baths parking for many cars and acres of woodland within a 5 min walk 

30mins to london. Cant say it's a dream living it it.

2 hours ago, HomeAlone2 said:

A cosy cottage in a village in one of the shires.  Think the vicarage in the Vicar of Dibley.

You can buy the house adjoined the vicarage, if you can afford it...

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbhershes190316

Check out the average house price in Dibley (aka Turville)...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/turville.html?page=1

4 bed, big garden, close to primary and secondary schools, easy commute to two or three big ish citys, Big drive with electric gates and with a plot that you can extend on. 

Then hopefully you never have to talk to another estate agent again.😉 

House Prices in Dibley (aka Turville)

Properties in Dibley had an overall average price of £3,021,000 over the last year.

The majority of sales in Dibley during the last year were terraced properties, selling for an average price of £542,000. Detached properties sold for an average of £5,500,000.

Overall, sold prices in Dibley over the last year were 385% up on the previous year and 56% down on the 2015 peak of £6,804,133.

An old stone house, out of town in the hills, good pub nearby - which is what I've got. There are a few details that mean it's not quite my dream home (e.g. nearby dual carriageway and the area still being busier and more developed than I'd like) but it's much closer than I ever really expected to get.

Working class (not benefits class or students) area within 3 miles of Leeds city centre where I work, preferably not far from the Leeds Liverpool canal green corridor. Near or overlooking a park. 4 good double bedrooms, sufficient garden for a game of 5 a side, no preference for terrace/detached etc. Massive cottage style kitchen diner. 5 minute walk to Aldi. I like entertaining. I don't like posh tw8ts.

Chapel Allerton or Roundhay for you maybe? 

I am not too far away but we like the North Yorkshire touch. We sound more like farmers rather than having that Leeds twang. I need someone to pronounce Latte correctly.😆😆

Dream house, stone, Victorian or Edwardian. Big big private lawn for footie and annex for the play girls. (I can hear my wife laughing in my head as I typed that last bit 🤦🏻‍♂️

interestingly why do American houses have 3/4 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms? I guess it’s all those hot dogs and burgers. 

I live in my dream home. 5 bed detached on 1/2 an acre surrounded by similar properties all worth over a million, in the middle of beautiful countryside with a lovely country pub a short walk away. Large fireplace. Private road. Just a shame I can’t afford to buy it, and have to cough up a very large part of my salary every month for renting it! Originally only planned to live here 6-12 months...turning into 2.5 years!

Could never understand why people request so many bedooms, when can only sleep in one bed and sit in one chair at any one time......is it a different bedroom for each day of the week or all the friends and family that might not want to stay?

A room that has no need for a lift with a view.;)