House Price Crash Forum

High street facing a “watershed moment”

HOLA441
Just now, Giraffe said:

Good job the banks have been thoroughly stress tested since the last crisis and passed with flying colours.   

Well, the article says that the banks are in much better shape than in 2008 so this puts LLs in a weaker position because the govt will be less concerned about bank failures and be less likely to step in. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
14 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Good job the banks have been thoroughly stress tested since the last crisis and passed with flying colours.   

The banks won’t necessarily lose anything here - as long as the eventual firesale covers the remaining mortgage.

And banks genuinely are in better shape than 2008 no matter what you read on HPC.

HOLA444
On 9/16/2020 at 4:09 PM, msi said:

This is good IMO.  It breaks the perception of ever increasing rents - something, as I've said before, the market desperately needs.  Rents are now being tied to the sucess of the business - turnover is a poor metric, but better than nothing.

If commercial LL (and their funds) start having to be realistic about returns, it makes them more cautious and adjust prices accordingly.

Being linked to turnover discourages you from using 'Hollywood Accounting' businesses might be tempted to use if rent was tied to profit.

HOLA445
On 16/09/2020 at 12:31, scottbeard said:

Only a tiny fraction of most pension funds are invested in property. 

LOL you say that now, but what happens is over time you'll find more of your pension ends up pushed towards the sector over the 10s of years until you get your payout.  This is so the people that run the pension can swap their money invested in commercial property for your money invested in commercial property so they make out like bandits leaving you holding the screaming baby.

So it might be a tiny fraction right now, but in 10 years expect it to be a more significant chunk.  Only so much money can chase the performing sectors, the world is awash with plenty of money looking for return, pension are so vast and so slow moving they won't get first dibs.

HOLA446
8 hours ago, Odin said:

LOL you say that now, but what happens is over time you'll find more of your pension ends up pushed towards the sector over the 10s of years until you get your payout.  This is so the people that run the pension can swap their money invested in commercial property for your money invested in commercial property so they make out like bandits leaving you holding the screaming baby.

So it might be a tiny fraction right now, but in 10 years expect it to be a more significant chunk.  Only so much money can chase the performing sectors, the world is awash with plenty of money looking for return, pension are so vast and so slow moving they won't get first dibs.

I disagree.

My own pension is a DC pension, so it's invested in whatever I choose.  No-one else can force me to invest it in property.

For DB schemes, which is really what I was talking about when I said only a tiny fraction is invested in property, they don't "look for return" - they are in the main closed, mature pension funds that are looking just to hedge their liabilities.  They invest vast amounts in bonds and more secure assets, usually with derivative overlays to minimise their exposure to interest rates and inflation, with just a increasingly smaller allocation to return-seeking assets such as equities and property.  The "people that run the pension" are a board of trustees, usually made up largely of employees of the company (often a couple from management and a could from the shop floor) plus the odd actuary or lawyer.  The idea that they are commercial property millionaires is absurd.

I have worked in pensions - mostly with DB schemes - for the last 20 years, so whist you can "LOL" at me, and of course hold your own opposing view, I'm not just making stuff up here.

HOLA447

i think the future is plain obvious. shops will once again be owned by those that operate them. the middleman will be cut out as there is no room now for a middleman. very many smaller establishments have been throughout history been able to continue due to the fact they were family run and they owned the premises and often lived above the shop. its been the advent of the investors and funds that have changed things and been as detrimental to the high streets as much as supermarkets have. just cast your eyes up a floor and see that half the buildings above street level are empty or inder-used. this never happened till the money moved in buying up all the stores. i can see things doing a complete turn-around though.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA448
HOLA449

i think the future is plain obvious. shops will once again be owned by those that operate them. the middleman will be cut out as there is no room now for a middleman. very many smaller establishments have been throughout history been able to continue due to the fact they were family run and they owned the premises and often lived above the shop. its been the advent of the investors and funds that have changed things and been as detrimental to the high streets as much as supermarkets have. just cast your eyes up a floor and see that half the buildings above street level are empty or inder-used. this never happened till the money moved in buying up all the stores. i can see things doing a complete turn-around though.

Would be great if it happened....... luckily there are many shops, restaurants, cafes, and public houses that are sole trader small businesses, they provide a great and individual service......they survive because they own the freehold, some live above them.... the profit they make goes into making their business better and providing a top class service to their customers......the best high streets are owned and run by the business that created them......no rent to pay.;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
  • 3 months later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
14 hours ago, Will! said:

FT Alphaville: Layer cake

Asda will need some impressive margins to support £3.7bn debt.

I missed a 'dont' inbetween 'I' and 'think'

Cornershop owners at the gates ...

Hmm, doesnt sound like a big seller.

In short, this is TPG shoving EU lendng (EG are the biggest use of EU debt/slush funds) into a a v high risk venture, with a couple of daft patsys.

UK has way too many super markets; no margins.

I always thought Sainso would go.

Looks like its ASDA.

Unlike the 80s, the hubris will be recorded.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/gateway-takes-on-pounds-500m-debt-as-restructuring-is-agreed-supermarket-group-ringfenced-from-parent-in-novel-deal-1453819.html

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 21/09/2020 at 01:38, Odin said:

The idea that commercial property made a good inflation hedge was pulled out of someones **** in the late 80s.

Its doesnt. never has. A big lie that the life companies propagated.

The UK life companies are destroyed now.

The commercial property is owned by the annuity people i.e. those trying to get a yield.

HOLA4417
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

The idea that commercial property made a good inflation hedge was pulled out of someones **** in the late 80s.

Its doesnt. never has. A big lie that the life companies propagated.

The UK life companies are destroyed now.

The commercial property is owned by the annuity people i.e. those trying to get a yield.

Lots of these properties will be converted to studen lets or as buy to let no planning laws make it easier to do this will provide the income needed as vasy swayes of joe public lose their homes as furlough ends and banks and lanlords start taken back their properties.  There will be huge demand for this as 3.5 million chinese and 6 million pre settled status EU migrants try to find a home in city centres where the work is.

HOLA4418
19 minutes ago, coypondboy said:

Lots of these properties will be converted to studen lets or as buy to let no planning laws make it easier to do this will provide the income needed as vasy swayes of joe public lose their homes as furlough ends and banks and lanlords start taken back their properties.  There will be huge demand for this as 3.5 million chinese and 6 million pre settled status EU migrants try to find a home in city centres where the work is.

have you see this....

Seems to be a lot of those settles status types have unsettled themselves.

HOLA4419

The future of the High Street is now to demolish most of it. Seems like a good idea as there are too many retail units that are no longer fit for purpose and will never get new tenants.  I expect the owners will be bleating for a big pay off to compensate them, at over inflated prices.  Hopefully councils will use their power to force sales through at 'market values'. 

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/feb/11/is-this-the-future-for-britain-stockton-on-tees-park-high-street

HOLA4420
3 hours ago, coypondboy said:

No they wont.

The student lets thing has long gone now.

The Unis moved in and built their own.

Uni student numbers are going to drop now EUers cannot access the (insane) student loan scheme.

• 5 months later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
4 minutes ago, BobbyZZZ said:

I have a small retail unit in Surrey on a secondary parage and had 4 offers within a week of it going to the market and a 30% increase in rent 

I have a large retail unit in Surrey on a primary parage and had no offers within a week of it going to the marketand have reduce the rent 50%.

Lucky you.

( made up stuff btw ).

HOLA4425