House Price Crash Forum

Housing crisis: The 59-year-old woman who lives in a van

Housing crisis: The 59-year-old woman who lives in a van

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-54153376

"I don't want to live like this, no-one should live like this - but I don't have any options," says Polly Richardson who finds herself at the sharp end of the lack of affordable homes in England.

For more than a year, she has lived out of a small camper van.

"This is my home. I've two sets of clothes in a box. I've got my cups and saucers in this drawer, my pans under this bed, and I have a little camping cooker.

"Winter time was horrendous because there was no heating."

The 59-year-old grandmother of four from east Yorkshire, is one of half-a-million households that aren't even counted as waiting for a council or housing association property, according to the National Housing Federation.

New research commissioned by the Federation from Herriot Watt University says the real number of people in England waiting for such homes is 3.8 million, representing 1.6 million households, or 500,000 more than is indicated by official government data.

"I've got belongings in people's garages," says Polly.

She spent years working as a retail manager but after taking time off to look after her sick father, and then having a big argument with her sister, she found herself being forced to move into the van in March 2019....

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

"She spent years working as a retail manager but after taking time off to look after her sick father, and then having a big argument with her sister, she found herself being forced to move into the van in March 2019...."

That's quite telling, sometimes life events can poleaxe you. I sort of wonder why she can't fit in with any of her adult children though...

My mother-in-law owns a log cabin on a residential holiday site in rural Wales. You can stay there 11 months a year but they close for the month of January for council tax purposes so that they houses aren't 'full residential'. Typically the well off owners have spent the month off on a cheap all inclusive in Spain or similar. 

They are definitely seeing a shift to residential instead of holiday lets. Last time I was there I saw a couple of cars parked stuffed with household stuff, kitchenware, bits of furniture, presumably things that came from their old home but don't fit in the cabin. 

Apparently it's the year of the stay cation, but a rural camp/cabin site with fairly poor reviews on TripAdvisor, and with no walking access to anywhere isn't that appealing to holidaymakers. 

Edited by regprentice
25 minutes ago, Si1 said:

"She spent years working as a retail manager but after taking time off to look after her sick father, and then having a big argument with her sister, she found herself being forced to move into the van in March 2019...."

That's quite telling, sometimes life events can poleaxe you. I sort of wonder why she can't fit in with any of her adult children though...

She has 4 Grandchildren so maybe they don't have space.  

I felt less sorry for this woman, she can't be that isolated if she managed to get pregnant 3 times.

Abigail McManus, a 27-year-old single mother lives in a two-bedroom flat in Leeds with her three young children - two daughters aged six and two and a little boy who's five months old.

Leaving her house is a daily grind as she struggles to manoeuvre her double buggy down the stairs.

Abigail has been bidding weekly for a three-bedroomed ground floor property for years, without success.

She says the council are encouraging her to search further afield to increase her chances being allocated somewhere suitable to live.

But she says: "My whole family live on this estate, so I'd like to try and stay as close as possible.

"As a single parent, who doesn't drive, it would be hard for me to get anywhere and I'd feel more isolated than I already do, if I move too far from this area."

3 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I felt less sorry for this woman, she can't be that isolated if she managed to get pregnant 3 times.

"Leaving her house is a daily grind as she struggles to manoeuvre her double buggy down the stairs."

Wtaf. As opposed to getting a job?

3 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

Absolute nonsense. She has a poor relationship with her children and it is her own fault that they don't like her enough to home her.

Haven't been to Bristol, obviously if this is new for you folks. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/20/bristol-van-caravan-dwellers-rising-rents-end-of-the-road

Under Jct2 of M32 and around, all over the Greenbank area. Vans and trailers parked up on the road with people living in them. First time I saw that I was shocked. It's been like that for years, from what locals have told me.

33 minutes ago, squeezed said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/20/bristol-van-caravan-dwellers-rising-rents-end-of-the-road

Under Jct2 of M32 and around, all over the Greenbank area. Vans and trailers parked up on the road with people living in them. First time I saw that I was shocked. It's been like that for years, from what locals have told me.

Aren't the posh parts of Bristol full of massive houses with boomers rattling around them with about 4 spare rooms?

Ahh this.

If only the BBC could have the same vast resources that SpynewsCorp has.

"I don't want to live like this, no-one should live like this - but I don't have any options," says Polly Richardson who finds herself at the sharp end of the lack of affordable homes in England.

For more than a year, she has lived out of a small camper van.

"This is my home. I've two sets of clothes in a box. I've got my cups and saucers in this drawer, my pans under this bed, and I have a little camping cooker.

"Winter time was horrendous because there was no heating."

The 59-year-old grandmother of four from East Yorkshire is one of half-a-million households that aren't even counted as waiting for a council or housing association property, according to the National Housing Federation.

New research commissioned by the Federation from Herriot Watt University says the real number of people in England waiting for such homes is 3.8 million, representing 1.6 million households, or 500,000 more than is indicated by official government data.

"I've got belongings in people's garages," says Polly.

She spent years working as a retail manager but after taking time off to look after her sick father, and then having a big argument with her sister, she found herself being forced to move into the van in March 2019.

"Without a job, you can't have a house. Without a house, they won't give you a job. I'm hoping somebody out there will give me a job," she says.

The last bit, in bold, is ********.

Can we safely assume shes not working?

I have loads of arguments with my sisters. Not one has left me homeless.

How many years did she spend working as a rental manger? 40, 30, 10, 1 4 months?

What has she done with all her earnings over the last 40 years?

Grandmother or 4. or working age adult?

Maybe the BBC would like to discuss the 10m-15m migrants that have piled into the UK over the last 20 years? Discuss how they might have caused problems in housing?

The ladies FB says she moved to Hunmanby, a nice, pricey area nearFiley,

Maybe she should take her van to Ull, brid or Scabby, where she can find a HMO to live in. And maybe a job to pay for it?

Im guessing shes not got great expectations on how shes going to be housed.

She could sell her camper van and have 3 years rent then n there.

Or does she object to payign for housign with her own money? Lifes a shitter isnt it.

Abigail McManus, a 27-year-old single mother lives in a two-bedroom flat in Leeds with her three young children - two daughters aged six and two and a little boy who's five months old.

Easy.

Purpose built hostel where the kids can be looked after by onsite child care whilst the mother goes to school or training to put her in the ball park of employable. No cash benefits.

Looking at her FB I doubt anyone in her family has had a job since they built the railways.

None of these are about housing. They are about employment and paying for stuff yourself.

The local paper has a similar gormless  peice:

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/people/more-affordable-homes-could-be-way-people-scarborough-borough-2971693

The council says that demand for affordable housing in the borough is high and while good progress has been made in recent years, more needs to be done to meet ongoing housing needs and to address the gap between average house prices and average wages.

Nearly 50,000 people are employed in the borough but 18,000 of these earn below the UK Living Wage.

Workers in the borough earn on average £507 per week, compared to £574 per week for workers across the York, North Yorkshire and East Riding areas, as well as the Great Britain average wage of £587 per week.

Cut LHA so its no more than 30% of the median take home income. Simple.

They also dont spell out what 'affordable housing' is.

This makes it harder for the residents of the borough to get on the housing ladder.

Figures show that at least 40% of the employed clients of Scarborough Citizens’ Advice claim in-work benefits.

llr Liz Colling, the Cabinet Member for Inclusive Growth, added: “Now more than ever, affordability of a new home is a key challenge for many people living and working within our communities.

“We have introduced a number of economic policies to respond to and help with our recovery from Covid-19, including encouraging our employers to pay the UK Living Wage.

Thatll fix it Liz!

So, we can assume an effective unemployment rate of ~40%.These people dont have employees, more TC enablers.

Those number mangle TC incoem and earned wages.

These people are not going to get a mortgage. Ever. They dont earn enough.

Mini mortgage is somewhere between 40k/50k. Below that the costs are not worth it for the bank.

At ~500/w (Im assuming thats gross) the resident are only going to have ~500/m for housing, which well be about about enough for a ~80k mortgage over 20 years.

They dont need to get on the 'housing ladder' they need to get a fcking job.

Why not pull the stops out to reduce local housing price?

Theres loads of it up for sale.

Scabbys prices, after doubling in 199-2004, have gone nowhere for ~16 years. In real terms theyll soon be at the same level they were in the late 80,,s which is the same level they were in the 70s.

Maybe the council could halve council tax to help out. Thjats under their control. House prices are not.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

The ladies FB says she moved to Hunmanby, a nice, pricey area nearFiley,

Maybe she should take her van to Ull, brid or Scabby, where she can find a HMO to live in. And maybe a job to pay for it?

Thats what i thought, its my part of the world and east yorkshire is very cheap away from the coast, even somewhere like Driffield is an nice small town with retirement bungalows for less than £100k  we have thought of retiring there.

edit to add perfectly nice rentals are <£50pw in ull, wonder what the upkeep on the van is?

Edited by debtlessmanc
2 hours ago, squeezed said:

Meekle’s neighbour Tom Burgess, a graffiti artist who also works in home removals

:mellow:

18 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Thats what i thought, its my part of the world and east yorkshire is very cheap away from the coast, even somewhere like Driffield is an nice small town with retirement bungalows for less than £100k  we have thought of retiring there.

edit to add perfectly nice rentals are <£50pw in ull, wonder what the upkeep on the van is?

Or parking cost.

Unless shes on her estranged sisters drive ...