House Price Crash Forum

The city has become unbearable': Why are so many people leaving Los Angeles?

shlomo

HOLA441

https://www.radioexe.co.uk/news-and-features/world-news/the-city-has-become-unbearable-why-are-so-many-people-leaving-los-angeles/

The pandemic has laid bare deep-rooted problems and many Angelenos are cutting their losses and leaving the city. 

Homelessness has long been a problem in US cities such as Los Angeles.

Since the pandemic hit, the number of people living in tents in the city has grown visibly.

In the wealthy neighbourhood of Venice Beach, rows of tents now dominate the sidewalks in affluent residential streets.

One realtor, who didn't want to be identified, told Sky News one of his clients returned to her Venice Beach home to find a homeless man in her kitchen.

"It was at that point she said 'I'm out' and put her house on the market," he said.

"As a woman living on her own, she didn't feel safe living there anymore."

You hear this time and time again from people.

The city feels more dangerous, the homelessness is out of control - on top of high taxes and eye-watering rents, many are considering moving out if they haven't already.

Comedian Joe Rogan is one high-profile resident who has left LA for Texas - citing overcrowding, traffic and homelessness as the driving factors. He is not alone.

Kerstin, a British expat, posted online: "We've just left LA and moved to Ojai because things in the city became unbearable for us."

When contacted she told Sky News: "We have quite a few people in our circle of friends who are either leaving LA because of COVID or planning on it.

https://ooyala.news.sky.com/tpaDBvajE6RZCOvds_5D0l7pFCZPNG9w/DOcJ-FxaFrRg4gtDEwOjM3NjowODE7Tz 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
8 minutes ago, longgone said:

Maybe they are heading for the uk to gain bounce back loans and furlough for a NW postcode ?????

What are you drinking?

Jack-Daniels-and-Coke.jpg

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, shlomo said:

https://www.radioexe.co.uk/news-and-features/world-news/the-city-has-become-unbearable-why-are-so-many-people-leaving-los-angeles/

The pandemic has laid bare deep-rooted problems and many Angelenos are cutting their losses and leaving the city. 

Since the pandemic hit, the number of people living in tents in the city has grown visibly.

In the wealthy neighbourhood of Venice Beach, rows of tents now dominate the sidewalks in affluent residential streets.

One realtor, who didn't want to be identified, told Sky News one of his clients returned to her Venice Beach home to find a homeless man in her kitchen.

"It was at that point she said 'I'm out' and put her house on the market," he said.

The city feels more dangerous, the homelessness is out of control - on top of high taxes and eye-watering rents, many are considering moving out if they haven't already.

Comedian Joe Rogan is one high-profile resident who has left LA for Texas - citing overcrowding, traffic and homelessness as the driving factors. He is not alone.

Kerstin, a British expat, posted online: "We've just left LA and moved to Ojai because things in the city became unbearable for us."

When contacted she told Sky News: "We have quite a few people in our circle of friends who are either leaving LA because of COVID or planning on it.

https://ooyala.news.sky.com/tpaDBvajE6RZCOvds_5D0l7pFCZPNG9w/DOcJ-FxaFrRg4gtDEwOjM3NjowODE7Tz 

Through work & socially I've had dozens of conversations about LA over 35 years.  People who've worked there short & long term, people who've visited on vacation.  Americans, Brits, South Africans, Australians, friends, relatives.  People who live in Sanfranciso & San Diego.

ALL of them had mixed feelings or didn't like LA at all.  NONE wanted to settle there.  Well 1 friend did in 1981 to be accurate - for big money.

Emperors new clothes.  Its weird that Angelonos seem to find it the hardest to see what a dump a lot of LA is. 

Cognitive bias?

HOLA448
1 minute ago, hotblack42 said:

Through work & socially I've had dozens of conversations about LA over 35 years.  People who've worked there short & long term, people who've visited on vacation.  Americans, Brits, South Africans, Australians, friends, relatives.  People who live in Sanfranciso & San Diego.

ALL of them had mixed feelings or didn't like LA at all.  NONE wanted to settle there.  Well 1 friend did in 1981 to be accurate - for big money.

Emperors new clothes.  Its weird that Angelonos seem to find it the hardest to see what a dump a lot of LA is. 

Cognitive bias?

This is some time before coronovirus i can see it getting very difficult, the quality of life will soon be very low.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
2 minutes ago, longgone said:

Don't say that you will make me worried

Why, now, why, we are on the verge of mega job losses, complete economic collapse, why do you want to work, is it the contrarian in you

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
12 minutes ago, longgone said:

No I'm bored I need a purpose in life, work fulfills that subconscious magnetism.

At Work: 15%
ac3c6ec2-d7e0-4103-b801-70014f82c96a-zae

Andrew Zaeh for Bustle

Work relationships always sound terrifying for me, but it was the second most popular way to meet people — with 15 percent meeting their significant other through work. 

HOLA4413
12 hours ago, shlomo said:

Anywhere on the west coast of th US has a colossal homelessnesss problem. I was in Portland two years ago and it was shocking there. Basically in the states if you are begging and living on the the streets then California or Oregon are the places to be, never cold and plenty of rich folk to panhandle from or do crap jobs for. Some US states even give homeless people one way bus tickets to San Francisco to get rid of them. In the states, even some quite able people end up like this. I used to walk to work in Santa Barbara and regularly walk past 4 hobos playing A hand of bridge on the beach side!

When people talk about  Freedom of movement and compare the EU to the US this is always the downside I worry about, states socially dumping on each other. FoM is not always good news.

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4414

Im surprised so many people moved to LA i in the first place.

One of the biggest, boring crapholes Ive ever been too.

'Ok, what can we do?'

'Hey, ere in LA, we can do anyhting!'

'OK, narrow it down, what can we do?'

'Anything!'

In the end we just got some takeaway.

HOLA4415
1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Im surprised so many people moved to LA i in the first place.

One of the biggest, boring crapholes Ive ever been too.

'Ok, what can we do?'

'Hey, ere in LA, we can do anyhting!'

'OK, narrow it down, what can we do?'

'Anything!'

In the end we just got some takeaway.

The museums are good, the natural history especially. Also the tourist stuff can be surprisingly good, eg my kids loved the universal studios tour and I learnt a lot about movie making. But yes it's mostly a dump and not the kind of place you would stop and ask directions, you might be alright, you might not.

HOLA4416
29 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

The museums are good, the natural history especially. Also the tourist stuff can be surprisingly good, eg my kids loved the universal studios tour and I learnt a lot about movie making. But yes it's mostly a dump and not the kind of place you would stop and ask directions, you might be alright, you might not.

It seems to be heading in a much more horrible place 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Couldn’t you apply that to many big cities post COVID?

Of course if you undermine confidence in the police and imply all they want to to every day is go round shooting or killing  innocent people then don’t complain when crime rates go up as the criminals know they are more likely to get away with crime.

HOLA4423

I think the homeless literally setting up tents thing, stems from a court ruling that the police aren't allowed to move them on.

I can see an exodus from many cities coming in both US and UK, and the reversal of gentrification.

Probably in a decades time a Rudy Guliani type figure will appear promoting zero tolerance policing, but it might not be as relevant as it was in the late 80s and 90s, as people may never need to return to the city!

HOLA4424
25 minutes ago, reddog said:

I think the homeless literally setting up tents thing, stems from a court ruling that the police aren't allowed to move them on.

I can see an exodus from many cities coming in both US and UK, and the reversal of gentrification.

Probably in a decades time a Rudy Guliani type figure will appear promoting zero tolerance policing, but it might not be as relevant as it was in the late 80s and 90s, as people may never need to return to the city!

I am not sure the uk has the space, perhaps in the highlands but the downpours and midges might lessen the appeal

HOLA4425
46 minutes ago, reddog said:

Only if society collapses, one negative i am noticing is that people have the "i am ok jack" attitude, and have lost the sense of community and will not help others.