Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

well thats the season nearly over


Recommended Posts

So its that time of year again. another few weeks some even to the end of the october school holidays. but allready the writing is on the wall. usually by this time of year many of us are thinking about our winter holidays, about they days lying in bed and nice drives visiting family or persuing our hobbies. this is how it goes for maybe 5 million non government paid jobs in the uk every year. These workers are the bedrock of town after town after village after city. from the sights of london to the beaches of cornwall. many are small buisnesses, they rent property, hire staff, work 7 days a week for 6 months then perhaps part time for another 2 and maybe a month pre-season organising the season ahead. but this year were in trouble. this year the season instead of being 6 months long was 10 weeks, and well 10 weeks even in the best position on the seafront aint gonna give you a years wages. so this furlough thing is only a fraction of what is about to happen, furlough is not what everyone on the 10 week season has been on yet they en-masse are about to become unemployed. normally thats fine, they work hard, save the pennies and go on holiday, go shopping, reap the rewards of the seasons hard work. but none have any money for all that this year, most not all have dipped any savings, scrimped by kept things afloat and made it still operating to now. but the money tap is about to be turned off and all these people that never went near a dole office for the 4 months they never worked every year are about to start filling in universal credit forms. 

The ones that manage to not fill out they forms will not be having holidays or nice days out but hunkering down waiting on next season to kick off proper, and i can tell you for definite if the season dont start in march/april like normal next year then you are going to see the complete destruction of half the towns in the uk, so while everyone is talking about furlough there is also this massive amount of workers that are gonna have to go sign on that no-one seems to be aware of. millions of people that make there living from tourists. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were thinking about an early winter holiday in November - fireworks most nights until 2am under lockdown for two weeks isn't every one's idea of fun!

So where to go to avoid two weeks stuck at home afterwards - Madeira and the Azores are still an option even if mainland Portugal is not, southern Italy perhaps Greece or Turkey. Turkey seems a safe option - don't test, lie about the numbers and keep your tourism trade open?

Of course by then how many nations will have closed their borders again to Brits entirely. So we may be stuck with the Isle of Wight!!

Edited by MARTINX9
Link to post
Share on other sites

People all over the world make their money from tourists, from travel, from trade, from moving and visiting......when movement suddenly stops or barriers are put in the way consequences are very clear to see.;)

Edited by winkie
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, winkie said:

People all over the world make their money from tourists, from travel, from trade, from moving and visiting......when movement suddenly stops or barriers are put in the way consequences are very clear to see.;)

yes tourism is the biggest buisness in the world, tourism and entertainment and both are the worst affected by this situation. london is quiet because no tourists not people not going to work, tourism is mega buisness and the knock on effects are massive, from transport to food. was talking to a friend a fisherman the other day and he told me shellfish is now half the price it was before lockdown. this is kicking into the whole fishing industry a lot of boats have stopped going out i dare to think what the price would be if they all were still going out with the pots. the food industry is in a mess even with thinhs opening up and the government funded meals it was but a mere bonous in a sea of red ink. and now the winter is here and trade has crashed. i dare to think what will happen if the xmas trade also gets affected, which i think it will im sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jimmy2x3 said:

So its that time of year again. another few weeks some even to the end of the october school holidays. but allready the writing is on the wall. usually by this time of year many of us are thinking about our winter holidays, about they days lying in bed and nice drives visiting family or persuing our hobbies. this is how it goes for maybe 5 million non government paid jobs in the uk every year. These workers are the bedrock of town after town after village after city. from the sights of london to the beaches of cornwall. many are small buisnesses, they rent property, hire staff, work 7 days a week for 6 months then perhaps part time for another 2 and maybe a month pre-season organising the season ahead. but this year were in trouble. this year the season instead of being 6 months long was 10 weeks, and well 10 weeks even in the best position on the seafront aint gonna give you a years wages. so this furlough thing is only a fraction of what is about to happen, furlough is not what everyone on the 10 week season has been on yet they en-masse are about to become unemployed. normally thats fine, they work hard, save the pennies and go on holiday, go shopping, reap the rewards of the seasons hard work. but none have any money for all that this year, most not all have dipped any savings, scrimped by kept things afloat and made it still operating to now. but the money tap is about to be turned off and all these people that never went near a dole office for the 4 months they never worked every year are about to start filling in universal credit forms. 

The ones that manage to not fill out they forms will not be having holidays or nice days out but hunkering down waiting on next season to kick off proper, and i can tell you for definite if the season dont start in march/april like normal next year then you are going to see the complete destruction of half the towns in the uk, so while everyone is talking about furlough there is also this massive amount of workers that are gonna have to go sign on that no-one seems to be aware of. millions of people that make there living from tourists. 

 

I agree but this has some interesting bandwidth.

My niece and boyfriend work/rent and live in Cornwall/Devon in catering which is obviously (but not entirely) tourist influenced. Furlough was kind to them and they find themselves with more savings because there has been no holiday, no nights out and a cautious approach to finances as they are used to having to squirrel for winter. The house purchase £125k has been set aside by choice due to uncertainty. They have had a relaxing, enjoyable (but of course a very worrying) spring and summer. Made the best of it, I guess  

The local business they work for is in the same position. Owner has received money which barely covered their overheads and living costs....but that is the normal position for them and they find themselves no worse off at the end of this summer than any other summer. Enough money to surf and drink coffee which is their luxuries. 

Of course a few points....these people are worried because without furlough....well, you know. Also these guys live cheaply in a beautiful part of the world so a year without their own ‘holiday’ after spending a relatively lazy spring/summer in beautiful Devon/Cornwall is very do-able. If this continues next year they need that financial support or as you say it will crumble. 

This isn’t saying their is no problem...and might go some way as to why we are seeing a economic bounce eg house prices, puppy prices 🤦‍♂️ etc... because it may almost make some (not these people though) almost feel they are financially invincible because they have survived financially so far without too much effort. 

Of course London is a different ball game. My niece rent for their flat is £400 pcm, they stroll in countryside, swim at beaches and walk to work. Not sure that’s the same in the city😉

So I am less certain how this will play out but I agree entirely with the sentiment of what you are saying and a second wave....well, you know.

I understand currently the odd daft careless purchase and waste of valuable savings that might be needed in the near future because we  are all different and some people feel better having a £800 spend to feel better... genuinely I don’t judge. However, I don’t understand the ones buying and chasing houses at the moment. I have been around a long time and I have never seen a time when ‘buying a house today MIGHT be a mistake’ has been more clearly signposted. At least wait until Christmas when we know about Brexit, wave 2 and further government support. 

Next year is anyone’s guess. I do agree without furlough (which in this post I am not advocating either way) it will be a very difficult time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

We were thinking about an early winter holiday in November - fireworks most nights until 2am under lockdown for two weeks isn't every one's idea of fun!

So where to go to avoid two weeks stuck at home afterwards - Madeira and the Azores are still an option even if mainland Portugal is not, southern Italy perhaps Greece or Turkey. Turkey seems a safe option - don't test, lie about the numbers and keep your tourism trade open?

Of course by then how many nations will have closed their borders again to Brits entirely. So we may be stuck with the Isle of Wight!!

You’ll be lucky. I live on the Island. We’ve been rammed with staycationers since late May, with prices going through the roof and very little available until the end of October. I did a search recently (fancied a week in a different part of the island, just to see some different four walls for a bit) - all I could find at a non-ridiculous price was a “hire a hammock” in some woods for £50 a night!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, winkie said:

People all over the world make their money from tourists, from travel, from trade, from moving and visiting......when movement suddenly stops or barriers are put in the way consequences are very clear to see.;)

A bit like Brexit!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RentingForever said:

You’ll be lucky. I live on the Island. We’ve been rammed with staycationers since late May, with prices going through the roof and very little available until the end of October. I did a search recently (fancied a week in a different part of the island, just to see some different four walls for a bit) - all I could find at a non-ridiculous price was a “hire a hammock” in some woods for £50 a night!

I wasn't that serious but perhaps once the clocks go back and the October half term holiday ends it might quieten down. 

We are happy to wait and see what non quarantine locations abroad are an option.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 415 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.