House Price Crash Forum

Noisy student neighbours/BTL Scum/Should I buy?/Life advice - urgent advice please!

This is both a request for practical advice and perhaps suggestions about life choices too! It's a long read so make sure you have a brew at hand.

So....I live very close a big university in a midlands city (a former polytechnic not an established one) and being a former poly its gotten bigger and bigger and basically taken over the city in the last 20-25 years, a familiar story im sure and similarly it has  completely changed the makeup of the residential steets.

Being in such an area as you can imagine is a constant nightmare, every term is noisy with anti social behaviour.

Like @longgone I am also a fellow 40 something misanthrope living with his mum...also as mentioned we stay at home 40 something misanthropes are the greatest and coolest people alive.

However this living situation is obviously not ideal , it's a long story but it's basically down to failed relationships, bad (at the time) investments, plus simply not seeing value in the housing market for the last 12 years. Additionally the set up worked for me (i.e. have no real issue with it).

Anyway the house is a terrace, I’m surrounded basically on most sides, the front and the back by rental properties mostly takne up by students. Now next door house on one side is a bunch of working girls, now they can occasionally be noisy but generally ok.

The problem is the other next door house which we share all adjacent walls with, the stupid *bleep* landlord decided to make it open with wooden floors and bare wall so you hear everything! Even normal conversations.

My previous lovely neighbours (a professional couple) from that house moved out in about May this year and it basically caused me so much stress knowing i'd lost these lovely neighbours and not knowing who was going to replace them...that it almost made me quite ill :/

I bumped into the scumbag landlord (well his proxy), he said it was going to be students moving in...can you imagine my horror?

Anyway obviously medium term I want to be out of here one way or the other, but i also have to take into consideration my mum who I obviously can’t leave here either, So I need your advice and tips please

The obvious answers is "just move dammit!" Yes...I know, however there a few issues:

1)      My mum does not want to sell the property for sentimental so she would probably want to rent it out and become a blood sucking BTL leech. Her house, her choice

2)      I can't buy just yet as a) lost my job due to corona  right at the beginning of pandemic and b) my investments are tied up. Although in the matter of a few months this might change and I could become cash rich, and possibly have enough to buy a modest place outright. But at the same time I could be selling up my potentially life changing investments too soon just so I can buy a house to get away!

3)      Also obviously being a full on bear i think it is a horrendous time to be buying, literally the moment before the titanic sinks IMO...but staying here is more unbearable!

4)      Another option is to rent temporarily but again, right at this moment i cannot afford to atm - was made redundant right when corona kicked off...Im getting by on income support atm. Plus paying 2 x sets of bills plus rent is not practical.

So most importantly I need some immediate practical advice in the meantime about the noise, how to get the landlord to sort out some sound deadening etc...absolutely ANY advice greatly appreciated.

The students have moved in today and my nerves are pretty ragged already :/

In the past ive written to the uni admin as wel as their security team to complain about their students having crazy loud parties or just playing their music too loud. I've also got the local council involved although due to Covid they are restricted atm.

So far, for this term, i've written a pre-emptive email to the university saying that im dreading their students moving in next door and if they could speak to letting agency to at least lay downs some damn carpet or wall coverings to deadin the sound at least.

I've also taken to criticising anonymously said university on twitter RE their good neighbour policy, and making sure the vice chancellor is in on it :) Although I think they might know I'm one and the same person!

So.... what are my short term options both immediately RE noise...and also what can i do RE the next few months? And leading up to christmas "if" my investments come in, should I buy outright? Or rent?

Also due to previous noisy neighbours i find it "very" hard to be civil...I tend to go in all guns blazing saying i'll report them left right and centre.

Also what is reasonable noise? Sadly due to all my years here I have a very low threshold.

This is why i hate BTL, and especially student BTL

P.s. Did I mention I hate BTL scum?

p.s see image, my house would be like this one in the middle, and the house markled blue would be the student property. 

Houses2.JPG

Edited by highcontrast
4 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

This is both a request for practical advice and perhaps suggestions about life choices too! It's a long read so make sure you have a brew at hand.

So....I live very close a big university in a midlands city (a former polytechnic not an established one) and being a former poly its gotten bigger and bigger and basically taken over the city in the last 20-25 years, a familiar story im sure and similarly it has  completely changed the makeup of the residential steets.

Being in such an area as you can imagine is a constant nightmare, every term is noisy with anti social behaviour.

Like @longgone I am also a fellow 40 something misanthrope living with his mum...also as mentioned we stay at home 40 something misanthropes are the greatest and coolest people alive.

However this living situation is obviously not ideal , it's a long story but it's basically down to failed relationships, bad (at the time) investments, plus simply not seeing value in the housing market for the last 12 years. Additionally the set up worked for me (i.e. have no real issue with it).

Anyway the house is a terrace, I’m surrounded basically on most sides, the front and the back by rental properties mostly takne up by students. Now next door house on one side is a bunch of working girls, now they can occasionally be noisy but generally ok.

The problem is the other next door house which we share all adjacent walls with, the stupid *bleep* landlord decided to make it open with wooden floors and bare wall so you hear everything! Even normal conversations.

My previous lovely neighbours (a professional couple) from that house moved out in about May this year and it basically caused me so much stress knowing i'd lost these lovely neighbours and not knowing who was going to replace them...that it almost made me quite ill :/

I bumped into the scumbag landlord (well his proxy), he said it was going to be students moving in...can you imagine my horror?

Anyway obviously medium term I want to be out of here one way or the other, but i also have to take into consideration my mum who I obviously can’t leave here either, So I need your advice and tips please

The obvious answers is "just move dammit!" Yes...I know, however there a few issues:

1)      My mum does not want to sell the property for sentimental so she would probably want to rent it out and become a blood sucking BTL leech. Her house, her choice

2)      I can't buy just yet as a) lost my job due to corona  right at the beginning of pandemic and b) my investments are tied up. Although in the matter of a few months this might change and I could become cash rich, and possibly have enough to buy a modest place outright. But at the same time I could be selling up my potentially life changing investments too soon just so I can buy a house to get away!

3)      Also obviously being a full on bear i think it is a horrendous time to be buying, literally the moment before the titanic sinks IMO...but staying here is more unbearable!

4)      Another option is to rent temporarily but again, right at this moment i cannot afford to atm - was made redundant right when corona kicked off...Im getting by on income support atm. Plus paying 2 x sets of bills plus rent is not practical.

So most importantly I need some immediate practical advice in the meantime about the noise, how to get the landlord to sort out some sound deadening etc...absolutely ANY advice greatly appreciated.

The students have moved in today and my nerves are pretty ragged already :/

In the past ive written to the uni admin as wel as their security team to complain about their students having crazy loud parties or just playing their music too loud. I've also got the local council involved although due to Covid they are restricted atm.

So far, for this term, i've written a pre-emptive email to the university saying that im dreading their students moving in next door and if they could speak to letting agency to at least lay downs some damn carpet or wall coverings to deadin the sound at least.

I've also taken to criticising anonymously said university on twitter RE their good neighbour policy, and making sure the vice chancellor is in on it :) Although I think they might know I'm one and the same person!

So.... what are my short term options both immediately RE noise...and also what can i do RE the next few months? And leading up to christmas "if" my investments come in, should I buy outright? Or rent?

Also due to previous noisy neighbours i find it "very" hard to be civil...I tend to go in all guns blazing saying i'll report them left right and centre.

Also what is reasonable noise? Sadly due to all my years here I have a very low threshold.

This is why i hate BTL, and especially student BTL

P.s. Did I mention I hate BTL scum?

p.s see image, my house would be like this one in the middle, and the house markled blue would be the student property. 

Houses2.JPG

Not the same.my misanthropic view is based on my white privilege being taken away little by little by employment agencies and estate agents.  

My views could change if these spivs minded their own business.

4 hours ago, highcontrast said:

Yes, but what are the pimps and johns like?

Regarding the students, why not befriend them with the aid of some booze?

5 hours ago, highcontrast said:

No obvious answer to that, agree with your assessment

Sorry to hear that, you will not be alone and will be joined by many more in the coming months. b) Obviously with all the loose fiscal policy in action around the world things are looking very volatile in many markets so I would advise that you hedge appropriately.

Firstly you correctly noticed early on that this was only ever going to end in one way. Unfortunately you and many other sensible people underestimated the power of the VI's in this country and the lengths they would go to.

Secondly as a fellow house price bear I am convinced we are in an epic bubble. But and this is really important, I fully expect the VI's to once again stall the desperately needed correction. I would be delighted to be proven wrong, but expect a correction of 15-20% before they manage to put the floor back in again.

Not an option then.

40 Soft foam ear plugs (20 pairs) Howard Leight Laser Lite Earplugs SNR 35dB. Seriously BUY SOME. I use these when I have to commute on the night train to London, fantastic, comfortable, great noise reduction and sleep like a baby

what can i do RE the next few months? And leading up to christmas "if" my investments come in, should I buy outright? Or rent?

If your investments come in fantastic and well done, I am playing a similar long game and although I expect to realise a sizeable deposit I think I will still need a modest mortgage, % falls dependant. If you can buy a house you are happy with in an area you like after Christmas, personally I would look at the direction of the market, if it is rising (unlikely but possible with MASSIVE stimulus packages) then buy, if it's going sideways (possible with BIG stimulus packages) then buy, if its falling (HIGHLY likely) with reasonable % drops then hold off.

Anyway as always remember Caveat Emptor and good luck.

Many thanks @Switch625 for your excellent and thoughtful reply, lots of great advice there, and you have helped calm my ragged nerves a lttle too.

42 minutes ago, Switch625 said:

Sorry to hear that, you will not be alone and will be joined by many more in the coming months. b) Obviously with all the loose fiscal policy in action around the world things are looking very volatile in many markets so I would advise that you hedge appropriately.

Selling my shares too soon could be the difference of making £100,000 to £200,000 more return (potentially, of course), hence I want to wait as late as I can before hitting the sell button. This is why I think the rent option is a possibility even if it cost me 7-8k for 6months. I "may" also  be able to borrow that £7-8k from family..."help to rent" so to speak! (Shouldn't give the government any more ideas). and then hopefully my investment in 6 months should be lot healthier and could hopefully have enough cash to buy outright.

43 minutes ago, Switch625 said:

Firstly you correctly noticed early on that this was only ever going to end in one way. Unfortunately you and many other sensible people underestimated the power of the VI's in this country and the lengths they would go to.

Secondly as a fellow house price bear I am convinced we are in an epic bubble. But and this is really important, I fully expect the VI's to once again stall the desperately needed correction. I would be delighted to be proven wrong, but expect a correction of 15-20% before they manage to put the floor back in again.

(Yep astonishing the lenghths the VI's have gone to maintain the bubble)

But yes as you infer, maybe I could just stick it out where I am at present, grin & bear it, and save all the hassle of temporarily renting elsewhere. RE earplugs, I use them anyway to protect my hearing but RE sleep, i find it's the vibration of the sound that is the issue? And that they are less effective for sleep? Maybe it's because I have become so hypersensitive that i'm subconciously looking for noise now! :/

The problem with sticking it out is the stress and the effects on my mental health :/ I get tense just thinking about it even if there is no noise, it's all encompassing.

I think the university are pretty fed up of me getting in touch, but I feel i have to make apain of myself to be heard. They do seem to be ignoring me atm.

But overall the noise nuisance policy is a joke in this country, like so many policies here.

Ultimately you are the sole maker of your future there is no right or wrong we only have today after all and a unknown amount of those today's to ponder on and guess to where it takes us.

The longer I'm on this mortal coil the more I understand my gut feeling is usually the correct way to go, procrastinating and dwelling on the past has cost me big time in every way possible.

I only now realise how lucky I actually was to obtain the funds I did by my early 30s sadly what ensued was nearly a decade of damaging processes coming to ahead with covid. 

Well done for investing though to obtain it, I had to work for mine a long time ago.