House Price Crash Forum

Mathematician Can Now Buy a Home in London

2 minutes ago, The Spaniard said:

Congratulations to Martin Hairer who has been awarded the 2021 $3M Breakthrough Prize for his work in mathematics.

He says that he can now stop renting and buy a home in London.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/sep/10/uk-mathematician-martin-hairer-wins-richest-prize-in-academia-breakthrough

What a sorry state we're in when one has to rely on a lottery win to buy a home in London. 

A massive breakthrough in Mathematics and the prize is to 'stop renting' FFS.

The work he's done is impressive; am dismayed some here still can't get the value of Universities and berate them for being 'sandal wearing bearded liberals.

5 hours ago, The Spaniard said:

Congratulations to Martin Hairer who has been awarded the 2021 $3M Breakthrough Prize for his work in mathematics.

He says that he can now stop renting and buy a home in London.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/sep/10/uk-mathematician-martin-hairer-wins-richest-prize-in-academia-breakthrough

He will be on 6 figures, probably 200k+, he moved to imperial after having already won the Fields medal, which is the mathematicans Nobel,  so they will have had to pay him (i am good friends with a  german prof in a similar position and this is what he is on).

As to him choosing london, i suspect his wife is relevent, probably her choice where to live in europe as a chinese person.

Edited by debtlessmanc
9 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

He will be on 6 figures, probably 200k+, he moved to imperial after having already won the Fields medal, which is the mathematicans Nobel,  so they will have had to pay him (i am good friends with a  german prof in a similar position and this is what he is on).

As to him choosing london, i suspect his wife is relevent, probably her choice where to live in europe as a chinese person.

Depressing to think that you can't buy on £200K.

46 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

£200k? Unlikely with a Fields Medal. £100k maybe. I knew someone who had a Fields Medal and they weren't on anything spectacular.

30 minutes ago, NobodyInParticular said:

£200k? Unlikely with a Fields Medal. £100k maybe. I knew someone who had a Fields Medal and they weren't on anything spectacular.

i get to see salaries when i referee proposals, i am yet to see any from a prof at imperial who is on less than 6 figures. The highest i have seen (just a regular prof) was clearly on £300k+

This data is from 5 years ago

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/sites/default/files/breaking_news_files/uk_university_salaries_2015-16.pdf

average at imperial for senior academics then was £137k, i doubt the average maths professor there has a fields medal

The nobel laureate i collaborate with is on 300k+

if your friend was at oxbridge bear in mind that oxbridge are notoriously poor payers - they can afford to be, it is all about "the priviledge"

Edited by debtlessmanc
4 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

i get to see salaries when i referee proposals, i am yet to see any from a prof at imperial who is on less than 6 figures. The highest i have seen (just a regular prof) was clearly on £300k+

Six figures is £100k and up, but not £200k. I am surprised by the levels there, though, and the person I knew was on pretty much the same as any other professor of that level of seniority. Maybe other universities just aren't as generous as Imperial. I have a friend who is a prof at Imperial but I wouldn't stoop to asking what he's paid but when I next seem him I might expect him to be buying the drinks :)

4 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

if your friend was at oxbridge bear in mind that oxbridge are notoriously poor payers - they can afford to be, it is all about "the priviledge"

Russell Group, but not Oxbridge. Passed away now anyway.