House Price Crash Forum

Furlough ends, Mass unemployment begins?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

My wife is on mat leave from the NHS and ALL of her non-clinical colleagues were redeployed to help in various capacities with Covid, some even in the wards. 

I only know a couple of people that have lost their jobs due to covid. Many were on furlough, disingenuously by their employers purely as a cost savings exercise. But all but those 2 now back working. 

I suspect that is temporary though. we have yet to see the full impact of the jobs shedding, that will be happening starting between now and november.A lot of companies were pinning hopes on a sharp recovery,which hasn't happened as fast as they had hoped/expected. They basically have no alternative but to cut costs this quarter/FY Half.

it's either coming by way of headcount reduction or hours reduction.

On 10/09/2020 at 14:46, Speed1987 said:

I don't @Locke @GregBowman really see what the problem is?

You here criticising my profile picture, as my belief set is different to yours...

Please enlighten me, on what you've done to help this country through covid19, while both me and my wife have risked our lives????

What have you actually done, to improve the lives of these individuals. I may be blunt in my language, it's a side effect of seeing stuff the public doesn't day in, day out.

Kept working to pay tax to pay them perhaps ? 

8 hours ago, The Preacherman said:

My wife's a GP and she's been rushed off her feet since March. 

Speaking to a GP at the pub last night.

70% of his work load is OAPS, mainly wasting his time.

As soon as lockdown was announced they all disappeared. Not seen for ~4 months.

Id love to see loading within the NHS. But theres f-all stats or accounting.

There was panic in the first month or so, where hospitals were cleared.

The daft thing is that people most affected are the very old  - 75+, which account for 95%+ of the deaths.

The old people who needlessly occupy ~30% of acute beds, were all booted out of hospital and put in old folks homes, where they infected other OAPs.

The regional hospital near me was cleared out of patients and workers..  To quote nurse friend - its empty.

13 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Speaking to a GP at the pub last night.

70% of his work load is OAPS, mainly wasting his time.

As soon as lockdown was announced they all disappeared. Not seen for ~4 months.

Id love to see loading within the NHS. But theres f-all stats or accounting.

There was panic in the first month or so, where hospitals were cleared.

The daft thing is that people most affected are the very old  - 75+, which account for 95%+ of the deaths.

The old people who needlessly occupy ~30% of acute beds, were all booted out of hospital and put in old folks homes, where they infected other OAPs.

The regional hospital near me was cleared out of patients and workers..  To quote nurse friend - its empty.

You're posts are making out that it is NHS workers are doing nothing that is not true. The problem is the service cannot function with over the top infection control edicts that have been issued centrally. For example if a GP sees a patient with suspected covid-19 they have to gown and mask up before and then deep clean the room afterwards. This add 30 minutes to 10 minute appointment. 

2 minutes ago, The Preacherman said:

You're posts are making out that it is NHS workers are doing nothing that is not true. The problem is the service cannot function with over the top infection control edicts that have been issued centrally. For example if a GP sees a patient with suspected covid-19 they have to gown and mask up before and then deep clean the room afterwards. This add 30 minutes to 10 minute appointment. 

My initial comments:

?

~75% of NHS workers inc GPs have had a 6 months paid for holiday.

+

Over 50% of NHS staff non clinical.

Outside of ICU and a (skeleton) A+E coverage, all other departments pretty much shutdown.

When lockdown happened, the hospital were emptied of all the OAPS, should-not-be-there-people. All elective stuff and all the other meetings, groups n what were stopped

(I strongly disagree have anything but acute treatment in hospitals -for bio security  reasons. Big hospital get built then loads of non acute services and whatnot get put in them to justify the cost. This is nuts for health reasons)

At the start of lockdown all GPs surgery basically shut beyond dispensing from a window. The irony being a lot of initial infections I know of were GPs returning from half-term skiing in Italy.

Its only in the last 2 months that GPs are returned to ~30% service. The psots on my local FB groups about GPs not answering their phone is nuts. Phonecalls being one of the main covid vectors .... Most of these people are just after repeat prescriptions, a vast make work/jobs scheme in the NHS.

A friends wife is an auditory nurse. Shes not done anything since end of March. Not even been into her department, whether she wants to or not.

Despite the TV, most hospital services are like her - elective, book a slot stuff.

Blue light, rishing about is a small percentage.

The OTT stuff made sense in March/April when the deaths were burning thru the 80+ at 1k/d.

They make little sense since ~May, as the deaths are below 200 - well below now.

And the impact on people with serious medical conditions is piling up, killing more people.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/

Although Id add that the UK deaths are below the trend now.

11 hours ago, The Preacherman said:

For example if a GP sees a patient with suspected covid-19 they have to gown and mask up before and then deep clean the room afterwards. This add 30 minutes to 10 minute appointment. 

My wife needed to see our GP early in lockdown, they made her stay in the car a the GP came out wearing gloves, mask and apron to the car to assess her. There was no need for deep cleaning.

I imagine that a lot of gp's used this technique to keep appointment times down.

12 hours ago, crazypabs said:

My wife needed to see our GP early in lockdown, they made her stay in the car a the GP came out wearing gloves, mask and apron to the car to assess her. There was no need for deep cleaning.

I imagine that a lot of gp's used this technique to keep appointment times down.

I'd like to see a GP give a rectal examination in a car. 

The woman from the TUC is insufferable.. "most of these jobs have a good future". What?!

Not surprisingly she wants to extend furlough and maintain an incomes policy.

Fact is we dont have any more money for these schemes unless they decide to print money and let inflation rip through the economy.

Edited by Warlord
31 minutes ago, Warlord said:

The woman from the TUC is insufferable.. "most of these jobs have a good future". What?!

Not surprisingly she wants to extend furlough and maintain an incomes policy.

Fact is we dont have any more money for these schemes unless they decide to print money and let inflation rip through the economy.

You're mistaken. Money printing and inflation don't correlate. In highly deflationary times, money printing just fills the large holes being created.

1 minute ago, Dreamcasting said:

You're mistaken. Money printing and inflation don't correlate. In highly deflationary times, money printing just fills the large holes being created.

I'm not mistaken.Printing money expands the supply is the very definition of inflation 

Trouble at beeb

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/13/radio-reporters-to-be-axed-by-bbc-and-told-to-reapply-for-new-roles

i actually heard about this from wife of a friend who works for radio 4. She reported that they had tried to make her redundant without following guidelines. She obviously thought she had won some kind of victory. Now it seems the beeb have just made them all redundant and told them to reply for new jobs with transferable media skills. This will be a great laugh, bbcs old timers being asked about new technologies. It will be like a humiltion followed by redundancy. Instead of just the redundancy

Edited by debtlessmanc
1 hour ago, debtlessmanc said:

Trouble at beeb

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/13/radio-reporters-to-be-axed-by-bbc-and-told-to-reapply-for-new-roles

i actually heard about this from wife of a friend who works for radio 4. She reported that they had tried to make her redundant without following guidelines. She obviously thought she had won some kind of victory. Now it seems the beeb have just made them all redundant and told them to reply for new jobs with transferable media skills. This will be a great laugh, bbcs old timers being asked about new technologies. It will be like a humiltion followed by redundancy. Instead of just the redundancy

BBC ers live in a massive bubble.

If the management want to troll they should start bringing in young EUers on a fraction if the money.

Or, to enforce a strong pro European view, insist the presenters should be fluent in 2 European languages and have spent 10 years working outside if the, actually walk the internation BS  rather than just talk it.

Or, better, align jobs and salaries with other UK media, where jobs and salaries have bern decimated.

“Radio reporting is a different job. Of course, you can do both, but a report designed for television starts from a completely different place. Radio is also more agile and also a lot less expensive,” said one experienced broadcast journalist. “I am pretty sure most of us will not be given new TV roles. It seems sad to lose all that specific radio expertise.”

Why is a TV reporter more expensive?

All it us is a journo, stood outside, saying, I'm in x, this has happened, back to the studio.

I dont get my news from the BBC. Theres nothing to it, wasted time.

3 hours ago, Warlord said:

I'm not mistaken.Printing money expands the supply is the very definition of inflation 

The money supply isn't being expanded. The printed money is merely replacing the money that has been lost. You need to stop thinking the way you do else you're going to become poor, particularly if you're still piling heavily into gold.

1 hour ago, Dreamcasting said:

The money supply isn't being expanded. The printed money is merely replacing the money that has been lost. You need to stop thinking the way you do else you're going to become poor, particularly if you're still piling heavily into gold.

So I think this is a good point, with all the money splashed out by the government on one side there is a massive loss of earnings that were not created because we were locked down.  I’m not seeing anything but price increases so far but I have read into this topic in the run up to the  last recession and deflation is one thing that can take hold in a situation like the one we have now.  Honestly don’t know which way it will go.  

People will need to get used to de-globalisation and heavily reduced levels of consumerism. As a side effect, Brexit becomes insignificant. The fact is, there is hardly anything worth buying anyway as people have everything they want. Some items will need replacing such as washing machines as they aren't built to last for life. People can stop buying as many clothes as they like - a few holes here and there does nobody any harm, and the average person isn't good looking anyway so it matters not what they're wearing.

There has been an increase in price of many things over the past few months, just like has been the case when looking over many years. This inflation was and is not because of money printing. It's mainly just due to greed and the ability of the average idiot to be able to borrow money cheaply.

On 12/09/2020 at 08:24, The Preacherman said:

I have a relative who was due to have a cancer follow up appointment in April - she is in remission so hopefully routine.  Its finally been arranged for this week but she was informed last week it would be done by video conference - she is elderly and has no laptop but luckily we can help out.

She still has to go to the same hospital two days before to have the required pre appointment blood test but she can't have a face to face appointment with the oncologist. The appointment normally involves a physical examination but that won't of course be possible.

She can't get GP face to face appointments either.

Doesn't seem entirely ideal to me!