House Price Crash Forum

Furlough ends, Mass unemployment begins?

Warlord

HOLA441

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence on what the situation will be like when the furlough scheme ends on October 31st?

There are  9.6 million workers furloughed by 1.2 million employers.

So will employers immediately sack these workers, /  make them redundant ? 

I don't know anyone on the scheme so would like to know if anyone does and what they might be expecting...

Here's an article from the BBC:

What happens when the furlough scheme ends?

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52135342

Edited by Warlord

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
18 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence on what the situation will be like when the furlough scheme ends on October 31st?

I don't know anyone on the scheme so would like to know if anyone does and what they might be expecting...

i think there will be a mix.

1)some employers will make immediate cutbacks..hosiptality,leisure and travel sectors for certain.

2)some other employers will be offering existing staff pro-rata contracts instead of full time work,might be temporary,might be permanent.Others will be offerning more work from home if it can be done, fine for those workingfrom home,but not for mrs miggins pie shop where said worker buys lunch.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
11 minutes ago, btl_hater said:

I know someone who has been made redundant, but still getting the furlough money up until the end of this month. Suspect that will be quite common.

Very interesting... so there could well be a huge amount of 'hidden'' unemployment.

This is ticking ttimebomb

I wonder what the government has up its sleeve

Newly-elected Conservative MPs are being urged to back calls for a targeted extension of the furlough scheme to avoid hundreds of thousands of jobs in their constituencies being put at risk.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-08/tory-mps-urged-to-back-targeted-extension-of-furlough-scheme

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, Warlord said:

I know a number of people who were on the scheme but have now gone back to work. But it's really up to Richey Rish to keep the economy moving.

HOLA448

That is factually wrong. That is the number of people who have used the scheme since march not currently on furlough. Virtually all of them have gone back to work. Certainly I know nobody still on furlough.

HOLA449
1 minute ago, Pebbles said:

That is factually wrong. That is the number of people who have used the scheme since march not currently on furlough. Virtually all of them have gone back to work. Certainly I know nobody still on furlough.

Amongst my clients about a 3rd still furloughed so they will be in the firing line for redundancy 

It might be factually wrong as you say but it’s a little splitting hairs isn’t it ?

Millions will be made redundant without the furlough support 

The 2nd wave of redundancies will be next year when demand craters as unemployment hits 

HOLA4410

Furlough is still available for almost two months, in the interim the government will likely announce an extension to the new year with employers paying more as time goes on.  Personally I know casual workers including students who are getting Furlough and working in new jobs.  That said it can only be bad as employers are either going to get rid of people now or in the next four to five months.  

HOLA4411
19 minutes ago, satsuma said:

in the interim the government will likely announce an extension to the new year with employers paying more as time goes on.

Boris Johnson has ruled at extending the furlough scheme at a government press conference - dealing a huge blow to workers.

He says the government will do everything they can to support people who can't work, but does not say the scheme will be extended.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/furlough-extension-update-issued-boris-18907561

Motion to extend in parliament was defeated 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Warlord said:

We get Furlough 2.

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, satsuma said:

Furlough is still available for almost two months, in the interim the government will likely announce an extension to the new year with employers paying more as time goes on.  Personally I know casual workers including students who are getting Furlough and working in new jobs.  That said it can only be bad as employers are either going to get rid of people now or in the next four to five months.  

This. I know someone on furlough, who now has another job in a completely different sector earning roughly the same money as the first job, they are quids in whilst furlough continues.

Edited by LetsBuild

HOLA4417

Have you heard anything from your employer yet ?

Yes, I've been asked to work several days over the past month as demand has picked up, I'm effectively like a contractor on a day rate but subsidised by gov. 

Expectation is work in the pipeline to increase but employer has been very upfront so far.

If asked to, I might go part-time, rather enjoyed furlough time off 🙂

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, crazypabs said:

Yes, I've been asked to work several days over the past month as demand has picked up, I'm effectively like a contractor on a day rate but subsidised by gov. 

Expectation is work in the pipeline to increase but employer has been very upfront so far.

If asked to, I might go part-time, rather enjoyed furlough time off 🙂

I'm pleased its worked out for you but there are dire warnings that for millions it won't...

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

We get Furlough 2.

Defeated yesterday unless they do U-turn again which is entirely possible..

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It could well be that the official unemployment figures are not affected too badly by this. The young chap (or chappess) in the coffee shop who loses their job, may be able to snag a delivery job or work for Morrisons/Tescos. The chef laid off by a central London restaurant, may be able to get work in a suburbs restaurant - albeit for less wages. And the department supervisor who loses her job with M&S may well be able to take early retirement.  The real pain (I suspect) is being felt by small tourist-orientated businesses in central London and other places. Those that can pivot into selling more online may stand a chance.

HOLA4421
4 hours ago, GregBowman said:

It might be factually wrong as you say but it’s a little splitting hairs isn’t it ?

Not really splitting hairs, since anyone who has gone back already is less likely to be laid off when furlough ends. The key figure is how many are still on furlough when the scheme ends. Does anyone know what that figure is?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

One close friend of mine lost their job with Emirates last month, they layed off all their VIP drivers. Another friend of mine, has been offered reduced hours, at a nursery. Which doesn't really impact them, as tax credits etc make to short fall.

I really can't see Furlough 2.0, it's unfair on keyworkers, NHS etc they are all pretty demorilaised with no compensation.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425