How to not die of corona

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

Managed another 11 years. :)

Nice :)

My grandparents lived until 74, 90, 97 and 97 which I always feel bodes well...but then only 1 of them ever drove a car, with 2 of them cycling to work (and the final one a housewife) so I can't rest on my genetic laurels...

Three of my grandparents lived until their early 90s (always thought the one I mentioned would make 100 easily but he ended up with leukaemia). My gran was the youngest and she lived to 81 despite years of heavy smoking and being on oxygen for the last several years of her life. First learned several swearwords from her.

The grandpa I was talking about certainly did a lot with his life. Born in a ropey part of Hull, son of a railway labourer (supposed to clean out wagons but from what I hear was more prone to finding an out-of-the-way wagon and a good book), but managed to get to university and ended up working all over the world as a statistician for the UN. Only time I ever got in to a serious argument with him was over whether or not a certain curve was a parabola FFS!

Recent on Vitamin D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8718601/Vitamin-D-supplements-Covid-19-patients-intensive-care.html

• High doses of supplement were given to 50 patients in hospital with coronavirus
  • Only one (2%) admitted to ICU but all eventually recovered and were discharged
  • In a comparable group not given the medication, 50% went into intensive care
Edited by Arpeggio
54 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Recent on Vitamin D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8718601/Vitamin-D-supplements-Covid-19-patients-intensive-care.html

• High doses of supplement were given to 50 patients in hospital with coronavirus
  • Only one (2%) admitted to ICU but all eventually recovered and were discharged
  • In a comparable group not given the medication, 50% went into intensive care

Youtube taking down and de-monitizing posts suggesting Vit D 3 does any good. I've been taking 12iu a day (Tescos) since before lockdown, as have most of my friends, so far most have been fine. One in a care home caught CV19 and survived it. Another caught it when admitted to hospital with septicaemia, survived CV19 but may not survive other issues. Given the price its got to be worth it even if it turns out to be pink elephant dust. Vit D isn't classified as a medicine because its too cheap to make. The plastic pot the pills come in probably cost more than the contents.

1 hour ago, HovelinHove said:

Vit D has been pushed for a very long time by Chris Martenson on Peak Prosperity. One of The reason people catch more bugs in the winter is due to a lack of vitamin D. Total no brainer. Zinc is also useful for fighting viruses. 

The data appears to be significant.

When you look at it from a risk / reward aspect, it's compelling:

• If it doesn't help, you've wasted a little money on pills but not done any harm (overdosing vitamin C, D3 or Zinc is not a thing unless, maybe, you take mental doses.)
  • If it does help, you've dodged or reduced a nasty and potentially dangerous viral infection.
8 hours ago, Quiet Guy said:

overdosing vitamin C, D3 or Zinc is not a thing

You should get vitamin c through your food- it is possible to take too much via supplementation.

D3 requires chronic overdosing for months to see negative effects- 5 to 10,000iu per day is fine for everyone forever.

Zinc can be overdosed, because it will affect your copper balance. This is why you should get it by eating beef and seafood and make sure to eat liver, which contains lots of copper.

5 hours ago, Locke said:

You should get vitamin c through your food- it is possible to take too much via supplementation.

D3 requires chronic overdosing for months to see negative effects- 5 to 10,000iu per day is fine for everyone forever.

Zinc can be overdosed, because it will affect your copper balance. This is why you should get it by eating beef and seafood and make sure to eat liver, which contains lots of copper.

I was fine till you mentioned the word liver.

16 hours ago, Travisher said:

Youtube taking down and de-monitizing posts suggesting Vit D 3 does any good. I've been taking 12iu a day (Tescos) since before lockdown, as have most of my friends, so far most have been fine. One in a care home caught CV19 and survived it. Another caught it when admitted to hospital with septicaemia, survived CV19 but may not survive other issues. Given the price its got to be worth it even if it turns out to be pink elephant dust. Vit D isn't classified as a medicine because its too cheap to make. The plastic pot the pills come in probably cost more than the contents.

Thanks for the account.  "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Do Vinci

17 hours ago, Travisher said:

you do need to be careful where you're getting your vitamins from.

it might say vitamin x/mineral x, but how that partcular formula is derived can play a part in how well absorbed it is into the body.

I think it's vitamin K2 that's the best example.there are 2 ways it's formulated,and one is substantially better than the other.

Wasn't there a big Vitamin D thread from a few years back with TMT and others talking about various brands of softgels, different doses, hyperdosing etc.? Can't seem to find it.

Given you can get a year's supply for around a tenner it isn't exactly a rip-off like some of the remedies you'll pay for in Holland & Barrett.  I was thinking to myself during lockdown that a likely effective thing the government could do would be to send supplements to every adult in the country.

On 11/09/2020 at 08:35, Locke said:

Thanks. I think I went a bit too far downplaying potential issues taking too much zinc. Yes, we should all be getting our nutrients from healthy food but how do you know you have enough?

On 11/09/2020 at 13:50, HovelinHove said:

I was fine till you mentioned the word liver.

Haha, I know. It is difficult to get used to for lots of people and sadly we don't eat the organ meats, which are the most nutritious bits, in the West any more.

On 11/09/2020 at 09:33, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

There is a petition to try and get Vitamin D added to food.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/319301

I don't do social media, can anyone get this out into the wild?

Food is already supplemented with it. It's the only reason darker skinned people do not have universal Rickets in Europe.

I think forcing it to be added to food is a bad idea and it should be clearly labelled where it is.

On 11/09/2020 at 16:06, oracle said:

I think it's vitamin K2 that's the best example.there are 2 ways it's formulated,and one is substantially better than the other.

K2 should be obtained from liver, kidney, eggs and I think heart. Supplementing it does not work very well and the conversion from K1 plant sources is abysmal in most people.

18 hours ago, Jolly Roger said:

Wasn't there a big Vitamin D thread from a few years back with TMT and others talking about various brands of softgels, different doses, hyperdosing etc.? Can't seem to find it.

The most important thing is that you get D3 and eat it with meals. While softgel vs powder might affect absorption 5%, it's hsown that eating it with a meal increases absorption 30% or more.

13 hours ago, Quiet Guy said:

Thanks. I think I went a bit too far downplaying potential issues taking too much zinc. Yes, we should all be getting our nutrients from healthy food but how do you know you have enough?

It's quite tricky and really I think if you were to eat organ meats and eggs, you would pretty much be covered.

It looks like it has been sidelined by the vitamin D, but it really is critical to avoid seed/vegetable oils. I'm not joking when I say they are responsible for modern obesity, diabetes and heart disease.