House Price Crash Forum

No Newspapers

Warlord

HOLA441
1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

Apparently destroying the planet and cutting down trees etc is only a problem if the newspaper being produced is centre right not a left wing one. Why no protests at the Mirror group or the Guardian?!!

They could just impose £10,000 fines on the protestors - many of whom are generally privileged white middle class people with mummies and daddies who live in Surrey, megaBucks or the Cotswolds.  Hence the negative reaction they got when they met people living in the real world who actually have to work for a living when they tried to disrupt the tube at Canning Town last year.

Just take it off their BOMAD house deposit!

Yep, Corbyn last week 10k fine for a non establishment approved protest, ER *****s this week and not a squeak. What they don’t realise is that it just makes the majority hate them even more. AND I MEAN HATE.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Apparently destroying the planet and cutting down trees etc is only a problem if the newspaper being produced is centre right not a left wing one. Why no protests at the Mirror group or the Guardian?!!

They could just impose £10,000 fines on the protestors - many of whom are generally privileged white middle class people with mummies and daddies who live in Surrey, megaBucks or the Cotswolds.  Hence the negative reaction they got when they met people living in the real world who actually have to work for a living when they tried to disrupt the tube at Canning Town last year.

Just take it off their BOMAD house

Seems like they have a point. Murdoch has helped ruin the country; brain washing the masses with right wing propaganda. 

HOLA443
49 minutes ago, OceanVibe said:

Seems like they have a point. Murdoch has helped ruin the country; brain washing the masses with right wing propaganda. 

As opposed to extinction rebellion telling people they must change their ways and stop driving electric cars and going on foreign holidays by plane or the planet will die along with all of us by 2030?  Have they been reading too many UK tabloids while they were at their exclusive private schools?

Not of course that enjoying lavish foreign ski and beach holidays should be denied to them just the sort of ‘plebs’ who commute on the tube daily from Canning town?

Of course as your post illustrates everyone who agrees with you is well informed and anyone who doesn’t is brainwashed as a result of reading a paper for 20 minutes a day. One might perhaps suggest that older people who have spent a life working and bringing up families also have a bit more real world informed life experience that a load of school kids and 20 year olds just out of uni who haven’t been exposed to many alternative views beyond the ones the latter have been spoonfed!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8893917/extinction-rebellion-heathrow-shutdown-brags-holidays/amp/

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
10 minutes ago, Blink said:

In effect, silence free speech and say it's for your own good.

Oh yeah, only silence the free speech we don't like and say it's for your own good.

Of course the protest which Corbyn attended last week didn’t cause any businesses to close or their workers be denied access - they merely held an event in a public square. Not aware of any violence happening - beyond speech and opinions the government and local Mayor didn’t approve of.

If the policing approach depends on whether the people speaking at a rally or protest back what the government - local or national - is doing then it’s a dangerous direction of travel. Because the law should be applied equally - not dependent on whether the government approves of those protesting or their views. It’s a bit hard to criticise China or Belarus when you cross that line.

Ps Perhaps printed copies of the Guardian and Mirror are unique and they don’t cause climate change?

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA447
7 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Of course the protest which Corbyn attended last week didn’t cause any businesses to close or their workers be denied access - they merely held an event in a public square. Not aware of any violence happening - beyond speech and opinions the government and local Mayor didn’t approve of.

If the policing approach depends on whether the people speaking at a rally of protest back what the government - local or national - approves of then it’s a dangerous direction of travel. Because the law should be applied equally - not dependent on whether the government approves of those protesting.  

Ps Perhaps printed copies of the Guardian and Mirror are unique and they don’t cause climate change?

The point is that the right wing newspapers are owned by climate change deniers.

https://time.com/5765304/rupert-murdoch-son-climate/

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jan/14/james-murdoch-criticises-fathers-news-outlets-for-climate-crisis-denial

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/murdochracy-controls-climate-debate-australia-200124052356203.html

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/six-examples-of-corporate-infuence-over-climate-coverage/

HOLA448

XR have a big following and a large amount of the members are professionals and people with jobs. 

What they are doing is working judging by the blood boiling anger on here. 

The fact is that what's happening to the planet is unsustainable and it will have effects on our children's lives. Even our own to be honest- this year's wheat harvest was one of the worst on record due to extreme weather- at its most basic this translates to price hikes. 

Murdoch is a vile price of trash and I'm not sorry at all about how they have targeted his bog roll of a paper, in fact I'm often quite impressed with some of XR's creativity. 

I know we love complaining about hippies but these people are much more than that. Hooray I say

HOLA449
25 minutes ago, Blink said:

In effect, silence free speech and say it's for your own good.

Oh yeah, only silence the free speech we don't like and say it's for your own good.

Actually that's not the point, quite the opposite- a main point of XR is actually "tell the truth". 

Rather than a picture of a fat topless bloke eating an ice cream on the hottest day in.living memory for the 3rd time in a year there needs to be a balanced view which is not happening. What we have now is not actually free speech, it's propaganda nothing more 

HOLA4410
1 minute ago, kirstieb said:

Actually that's not the point, quite the opposite- a main point of XR is actually "tell the truth". 

Rather than a picture of a fat topless bloke eating an ice cream on the hottest day in.living memory for the 3rd time in a year there needs to be a balanced view which is not happening. What we have now is not actually free speech, it's propaganda nothing more 

You've made my point precisely. 

The free speech you don't like is the only speech you want to silence. 

Who the fvck are you to tell me what's worth reading or not.

Utter cretins and low lifes all of them involved.

HOLA4411
31 minutes ago, Blink said:

Happy for other people’s free speech to be cancelled but not their own of course!

The problem as the likes of JK Rowling has found is that eventually the mob may well come for you!

First they come for those whose free speech you don’t much approve of and you say nothing - and when they come for your free speech it’s too late as you did nothing.

If they can arrest Corbyn’s brother for daring to criticise what the government is doing they can arrest anyone for criticising what the government is doing. £10k fine today - if you can afford it - six months in jail tomorrow!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4412
37 minutes ago, Blink said:

Not cancelled Mr sweary but a balanced view added. People are being lied to, it would be much better if people could make their own minds up but the information isn't being passed on

HOLA4413
5 minutes ago, kirstieb said:

Not cancelled Mr sweary but a balanced view added. People are being lied to, it would be much better if people could make their own minds up but the information isn't being passed on

Yeah right.

"People are being lied to" so you and others are here to protect them all by telling them your own version of the truth.

My words, superheroes the lot lot of you in protecting us all from the evil empire.

HOLA4414
14 minutes ago, kirstieb said:

Oh the old I am so superior argument so I don’t believe that stuff but of course the majority of the ‘plebs’ are so stupid they need to be re educated so they agree with me and my truths!!

They used similar logic to deny women the vote in the past and in the US deep south African Americans until the 1960s! 

Not of course recognising that people who have experienced life and held down jobs, paid taxes and had families may occasionally have a lot more appreciation of the reality of life and the facts than schoolkids and university students who have been taught one view by their let’s just say generally left of centre teachers.

Those who can do - those who cant teach and read the Guardian. Sorry just joking!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4415
Just now, Blink said:

Yeah right.

"People are being lied to" so you and others are here to protect them all by telling them your own version of the truth.

My words, superheroes the lot lot of you in protecting us all from the evil empire.

No not all I think I've been misunderstood. I don't want to take away anything anyone is wanting to read or view etc that is free speech. However large organisations that have a big influence in the country are not telling the truth. 

It's a shame people have to lock themselves to gates and factories to be heard, but they will do it as the best way to be heard is to cause disruption. Now no one wants to tell people how to live their lives, and a large part of what XR are trying to do is to stop the government from patronising us all by pretending that if we buy an electric car, or WE recycle our plastic cups or WE reuse a plastic bag it will make up for the huge amount of devastation the governments around the world are causing. 

The people in charge are taking the pi55 out of us and it needs to stop. Imagine if Murdoch was on board with stopping climate break down- it would be on the public radar. 

Also fu5c Rowling she talks out of her butt 

HOLA4416
5 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Oh the old I am so superior argument so I don’t believe that stuff but of course the majority of the ‘plebs’ are so stupid they need to be re educated so they agree with me and my truths!!

They used similar logic to deny women the vote in the past and in the US deep south African Americans until the 1960s! 

Not of course recognising that people who experienced life and held jobs, paid taxes and had families may have a lot more appreciation of the reality of life and the facts than schoolkids and university students who have been taught one view by their let’s just say generally left of centre teachers.

Those who can do - those who cant teach and read the Guardian. Sorry just joking!

Not at please see my below post- the powers that be are taking the pi55 and asking normal people to pick up the bill and take responsibility for what they aren't doing. Even if you for example buy an elec car, recycle everything, don't use plastic etc the govts are still incinerating our recycling, not making public transport better or cheaper or more efficient, they are not forcing the companies that produce the unrecyclable materials to be legally responsible to dispose of it, importing sewage from other countries. They are putting it on you and me and it's impossible to win the fight while they are undermining everything we do. 

HOLA4417
34 minutes ago, kirstieb said:

Not at please see my below post- the powers that be are taking the pi55 and asking normal people to pick up the bill and take responsibility for what they aren't doing. Even if you for example buy an elec car, recycle everything, don't use plastic etc the govts are still incinerating our recycling, not making public transport better or cheaper or more efficient, they are not forcing the companies that produce the unrecyclable materials to be legally responsible to dispose of it, importing sewage from other countries. They are putting it on you and me and it's impossible to win the fight while they are undermining everything we do. 

And how does blocking entrances to newspaper offices in London - it’s always London of course as they never bother much anywhere else bar possibly a few uni towns like Bristol or Oxford - going to change any of that? 

All the people who couldn’t get the Sun today will probably just have bought the Express or Star instead!

HOLA4418
53 minutes ago, kirstieb said:

Sorry what? 

You have freedom of choice as does everyone. I have no problem in people democraticly campaigning for change or voting with their wallets to buy x over y.. But who are you to tell everyone what to do? 

Its not some massive conspiracy.. Plastic is cheap and increases the shelf life of food significantly. If people want mangos, or ship cucumbers without damaging them in January then its going to be involved. 

Do you not think if there was an easy solution to provide that without plastic supermarkets would jump at it? Can see the adverts now.. Shop tesco, go green etc 

Additionally there is a lot of work and cash going into biodegradable plastics see latest coke bottles. Focusing on improvements that are mangable and changing behaviour from say aluminium cans to biogradable plastics from plant sources is an achievable way to make a difference. 

Blocking roads archives nothing 

Edited by captainb

HOLA4419
12 hours ago, Warlord said:

Amazing isnt it? I haven't bought one for along time now.I think its now just the older generation who bother.

I did sign up for the free trial with telegraph.co.uk but couldn't be bothered paying .

I am not sure there ar emany under 35 on this forum.

Messageboards are rather old fashioned these days. The kids are discussing such things on Tik Tok apparently. Through the medium of modern interpretive dance.

HOLA4420

And how does blocking entrances to newspaper offices in London - it’s always London of course as they never bother much anywhere else bar possibly a few uni towns like Bristol or Oxford - going to change any of that? 

All the people who couldn’t get the Sun today will probably just have bought the Express or Star instead!

It's not always London at all, there are groups all over the UK, the world even, they coordinate on certain days it's been well publicised, 

What is this class divide about giving a crap about what happens in the wider world? 

IMO if you want to moan about how housing is too expensive nowadays or your pensions rubbish or immigration  you really ought to care about what's happening to the entire earth, if not we will be hated even more than the boomers for pi55ing away a healthy earth and destroying homes and livelihoods. That is kicking out the ladder from underneath someone that we bring up so often.

Plus, if you can't be in the news stop the news, you have to admit it is clever.

HOLA4421
4 hours ago, kirstieb said:

What they are doing is working judging by the blood boiling anger on here. 

Only if there aren't many who feel that way. 

4 hours ago, kirstieb said:

Murdoch is a vile price of trash and I'm not sorry at all about how they have targeted his bog roll of a paper, in fact I'm often quite impressed with some of XR's creativity. 

I did think this protest was much better than most of their previous activities, as it was much more targeted against a group for a clear reason. Trying to stop trains and shut down central London first and foremost annoys people. If they stop newspapers and get out the message of why they did it, that could be quite thought-provoking to their readership without seriously inconveniencing them.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425