House Price Crash Forum

Shocking news!

Extinction Rebellion are blocking the newspaper print sites (principally of Murdoch's News Corp but also affecting other titles) so you may not get your newspaper this morning if you still get one these days. I stopped getting one long ago...

Extinction Rebellion protesters blocked roads leading to two UK printworks owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp on Friday evening.

The group’s members said they would maintain the blockade throughout the night using vehicles and bamboo lock-ons to try to prevent the company’s papers from reaching newsstands on Saturday.

The action took place in Broxbourne in Hertfordshire and Knowsley in Liverpool. Extinction Rebellion (XR) said about 80 activists were involved.

Hertfordshire police said they were attending a protest at the Broxbourne site. “Our officers are engaging with the group, which consists of around 100 people, and we are working to facilitate the rights of both the protesters and those affected by their presence,” the force said in a statement.

The printworks produce News Corp’s Sun, Times, Sun on Sunday and Sunday Times. They also print the Telegraph and Mail titles and the Evening Standard.

Photographs posted on social media showed protesters lying in the road and a banner being unfurled that said: “Free the truth.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/04/extinction-rebellion-block-roads-to-murdoch-paper-print-sites

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Glenn said:

news .......paper?

Amazing isnt it? I haven't bought one for along time now.I think its now just the older generation who bother.

I did sign up for the free trial with telegraph.co.uk but couldn't be bothered paying .

Edited by Warlord
3 hours ago, Warlord said:

Shocking news!

Extinction Rebellion are blocking the newspaper print sites (principally of Murdoch's News Corp but also affecting other titles) so you may not get your newspaper this morning if you still get one these days. I stopped getting one long ago...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/04/extinction-rebellion-block-roads-to-murdoch-paper-print-sites

Very useful, I bought one about 20 years ago 

4 minutes ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

Often they rely on “alternative facts” to drum up trade from the mouth breathers - I look forward to their self-destruction.

They wouldn't exist if we dont buy them.. 

They will have to slim down to the new reality.  I'm not sure if digital subscriptions bring in as much as the conventional newspaper. 

4 minutes ago, Warlord said:

They wouldn't exist if we dont buy them.. 

They will have to slim down to the new reality.  I'm not sure if digital subscriptions bring in as much as the conventional newspaper. 

Part of the problem is the lack advertising if I remember correctly - obviously websites have taken a lot of that money.

1 minute ago, iamnumerate said:

Part of the problem is the lack advertising if I remember correctly - obviously websites have taken a lot of that money.

The Daily Mail's website is a disgrace full of ads and overlaying video. Same with Mirror(.co.uk). It's ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

They pay less than they would have done 20 years ago.

True and now the first thing that gets slashed is advertising for most companies. So they're screwed.  

I think they will have to move to a subscription model. Most people in 10 years with have a tablet/kindle and get the publication that way I guess.

Just that Apple/Google/Amazon will take a 30% cut! 

Edited by Warlord

What's the problem?  I thought the toilet paper shortage was over.

Print rags get no sympathy from me. Given the scale of Wapping, I would've thought the Murdoch rags would be good at coping with industrial blockages.

1 minute ago, msi said:

Print rags get no sympathy from me. Given the scale of Wapping, I would've thought the Murdoch rags would be good at coping with industrial blockages.

Funny... I had you down as a Mail reader.... 🤣

11 minutes ago, msi said:

Wapping was closed years ago - the new printing presses are outside London and editorial is now in London Bridge.

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

They pay less than they would have done 20 years ago.

Daily mail and associated publications has a turnover of £1.2billion. Mainly from web. 

Depsite nonsense on here they will be just fine... People click all day on what someone was wearing last week globally. 

Its the more local publications that will potentially struggle 

1 hour ago, Warlord said:

The Daily Mail's website is a disgrace full of ads and overlaying video. Same with Mirror(.co.uk). It's ridiculous.

if you pc is old it will actually crash the pc its so memory hogging. they have made the website intelligent now so it knows if you have adblock installed it wont load up. 

someone should make a small app which loads the news up in the background  with all ads but displays it to another page free of all the rubbish so the website does not know.  i should learn to write software i think it would be popular. 😂

Just now, longgone said:

if you pc is old it will actually crash the pc its so memory hogging. they have made the website intelligent now so it knows if you have adblock installed it wont load up. 

someone should make a small app which loads the news up in the background  with all ads but displays it to another page free of all the rubbish so the website does not know.  i should learn to write software i think it would be popular. 😂

There are various extensions to get round it but I can't be bothered as I dont trust them all necessarily.

But yes it seems silly to overlay video and ads to the extent that it crashes the browser or makes it unusable. I just dont get it... don''t they test it and know how silly it is?

The mirror is even worse 

3 minutes ago, Warlord said:

There are various extensions to get round it but I can't be bothered as I dont trust them all necessarily.

But yes it seems silly to overlay video and ads to the extent that it crashes the browser or makes it unusable. I just dont get it... don''t they test it and know how silly it is?

The mirror is even worse 

the site look for the extension now though so stops the page loading how i currently get round it is just stop the page loading mid way works sometimes. cant view comments though. 

ad revenue thats why. 

2 hours ago, captainb said:

Daily mail and associated publications has a turnover of £1.2billion. Mainly from web. 

Depsite nonsense on here they will be just fine... People click all day on what someone was wearing last week globally. 

Its the more local publications that will potentially struggle 

Thanks for that - I thought that all newspapers were struggling.

Just now, iamnumerate said:

Thanks for that - I thought that all newspapers were struggling.

Some are. 

Although daily mail website is worth several £billion. Seemingly funded by receptionists globally looking at who wore what and who cheated on who in love island. 

8 minutes ago, captainb said:

Some are. 

Although daily mail website is worth several £billion. Seemingly funded by receptionists globally looking at who wore what and who cheated on who in love island. 

And don't forget the woman who lost eight stone in weight in two weeks; the two-headed calf born in Somerset,  and a Z lister 'showcasing' their lithe post-baby body...

Edited by juvenal

Apparently destroying the planet and cutting down trees etc is only a problem if the newspaper being produced is centre right not a left wing one. Why no protests at the Mirror group or the Guardian?!!

They could just impose £10,000 fines on the protestors - many of whom are generally privileged white middle class people with mummies and daddies who live in Surrey, megaBucks or the Cotswolds.  Hence the negative reaction they got when they met people living in the real world who actually have to work for a living when they tried to disrupt the tube at Canning Town last year.

Just take it off their BOMAD house deposit!

Edited by MARTINX9