House Price Crash Forum

anyone still play lottery

On 03/09/2020 at 20:33, longgone said:

Did the lottery first time in ages on Tuesday euro millions,  surprised I got 4 numbers won £28

Is this just taking advantage of the poor or does anyone still play ?

I sometimes buy a ticket if I've had a particularly bad day at work 🤣

My lottery story: Way back when it first started in the 1990s I was part of a work syndicate. We agreed to put any winnings in a building society (paid reasonable interest at the time) to be divided up among us in time for Christmas. We had a few 3 & one 4 ball wins but nothing major, by the end of the year we had about £90. What we did not know is if we had put just £10 more in the building soc we would have qualified for the free shares when it demutualised, as was flavour of the month at the time. I think had we got the shares and kept them to their peak we would have made over £2,300.  Far far more than we ever won on the lottery.

But it went completely over our heads and unaware we withdrew our £90 and spent it mostly on beer.

I buy one every 25 weeks. Then I don't look at it for 25 weeks.

So if I win, I can claim within the 180 days.

If I don't win, I don't know for 25 weeks, so I can still have the "if I won the lottery" chat, but at minimal cost.

😶

17 hours ago, Glenn said:

My lottery story: Way back when it first started in the 1990s I was part of a work syndicate. We agreed to put any winnings in a building society (paid reasonable interest at the time) to be divided up among us in time for Christmas. We had a few 3 & one 4 ball wins but nothing major, by the end of the year we had about £90. What we did not know is if we had put just £10 more in the building soc we would have qualified for the free shares when it demutualised, as was flavour of the month at the time. I think had we got the shares and kept them to their peak we would have made over £2,300.  Far far more than we ever won on the lottery.

But it went completely over our heads and unaware we withdrew our £90 and spent it mostly on beer.

My aunt was in a syndicate that won a half decent amount - shortly after she'd left (think it came to a couple of thousand each).

• 2 months later...