House Price Crash Forum

I've been thinking about this today and am coming to the conclusion that Russia is itching for conflict and if we get another Trump government then I think it might well happen.

I think Trump would use a nuke and Putin would be happy to return the favour.  Economies need to rebuild after COVID and war is a good leveller before reconstruction.

A sign of what's to come is the new Cold War Call Of Duty game, released this winter.  It's an omen I tell you.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

I've been thinking about this today and am coming to the conclusion that Russia is itching for conflict and if we get another Trump government then I think it might well happen.

I think Trump would use a nuke and Putin would be happy to return the favour.  Economies need to rebuild after COVID and war is a good leveller before reconstruction.

A sign of what's to come is the new Cold War Call Of Duty game, released this winter.  It's an omen I tell you.

Russia's nothing (Yes Vladimir, that means you tough guy!). Trump won't use a nuke though, maybe invade a couple of places for a bit of a giggle, but no nuking for now I reckon.

China is the big boy now, but I am still looking forward to Black Ops - Cold War. Will take me back to the good old days.

3 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

The answer to what?

I don’t think there will be a war

but if there ever was one it wouldn’t be the same as previous wars.

this time we will have swarms of killer drones, millions of them basically instructed to clear an area of all humans with little to no property destruction 

the thing of nightmares

57 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

I don’t think there will be a war

but if there ever was one it wouldn’t be the same as previous wars.

this time we will have swarms of killer drones, millions of them basically instructed to clear an area of all humans with little to no property destruction 

the thing of nightmares

I thought one of the big problems with drone strikes was how imprecise they were and how much collateral damage they caused (people as well as property). They are often stories in the Middle East of US drone strikes destroying hospitals, schools, killing many at weddings etc. when they were just trying to target a few specific people.

8 hours ago, Young Turk said:

I thought one of the big problems with drone strikes was how imprecise they were and how much collateral damage they caused (people as well as property). They are often stories in the Middle East of US drone strikes destroying hospitals, schools, killing many at weddings etc. when they were just trying to target a few specific people.

Small drones - like a swarm of wasps - clouds of them.

probably with small explosive charges on them, or in the case of some of the American precision missiles, spinning blades to keep the deaths own to only the target

either way nightmare fuel - enough of them and basically you are stuffed 

You have been demoralised.

• Alexei Navalny has never held any elected office, his political party doesn’t have a single MP in the Duma, and he polls at roughly 2% support with the Russian people.

• Despite this, and in the middle of an alleged “pandemic”, Vladimir Putin deems the man a threat and orders him killed.

• The State apparatus responsible for unnecessary and seemingly arbitrary acts of political murder decide to use novichok to poison him.

• This decision is taken in spite of the facts that a) Novichok totally and utterly failed to work in their alleged murder of the Skripals and b) It has already been widely publicly associated with Russia.

• Rather unsurprisingly, the novichok which didn’t kill its alleged target last time, doesn’t kill its alleged target this time either.

• Compounding their poor decision making, the Russians not only perform an emergency landing and take Navalny straight to a hospital for medical care.

• Despite Navalny being helpless and comatose in a Russian hospital, the powerful state-backed assassination team make no further attempts on his life.

• In fact, seemingly determined to under no circumstances successfully kill their intended victim, the Russian government, allow him to leave the country and get medical help from one of the countries which previously accused them of using novichok.

• To absolutely no one’s surprise, the Germans claim to have detected novichok in Navalny’s system.

• Vladimir Putin and the Russian government are immediately blamed for the attempted murder.

1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

There's a black mirror episode on this one.

53 minutes ago, Locke said:
  • This decision is taken in spite of the facts that a) Novichok totally and utterly failed to work in their alleged murder of the Skripals and b) It has already been widely publicly associated with Russia.

I agree that this is, at least, curious.  I wonder: might an explanation be that the "virus" has had a devastating effect on the cognitive capacity of those in positions of authority?

1 hour ago, Locke said:

You have been demoralised.

• Alexei Navalny has never held any elected office, his political party doesn’t have a single MP in the Duma, and he polls at roughly 2% support with the Russian people.

• Despite this, and in the middle of an alleged “pandemic”, Vladimir Putin deems the man a threat and orders him killed.

• The State apparatus responsible for unnecessary and seemingly arbitrary acts of political murder decide to use novichok to poison him.

• Rather unsurprisingly, the novichok which didn’t kill its alleged target last time, doesn’t kill its alleged target this time either.

• Compounding their poor decision making, the Russians not only perform an emergency landing and take Navalny straight to a hospital for medical care.

• Despite Navalny being helpless and comatose in a Russian hospital, the powerful state-backed assassination team make no further attempts on his life.

• In fact, seemingly determined to under no circumstances successfully kill their intended victim, the Russian government, allow him to leave the country and get medical help from one of the countries which previously accused them of using novichok.

• To absolutely no one’s surprise, the Germans claim to have detected novichok in Navalny’s system.

• Vladimir Putin and the Russian government are immediately blamed for the attempted murder.

There's a black mirror episode on this one.

https://youtu.be/O-2tpwW0kmU quite disconcerting.

Comments by a professor at the end.

13 minutes ago, A.steve said:

I agree that this is, at least, curious.  I wonder: might an explanation be that the "virus" has had a devastating effect on the cognitive capacity of those in positions of authority?

What is your position?

1 minute ago, Locke said:

What is your position?

Other diseases have impacted prominent figures in the past.. (not trying to drag it down into the "H1tl3r" rabbit hole). 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7121633/

Prominent people suffering EL were also worthy of attention, such as Jane Morgan, the wife of American banker John Pierpont Morgan Jr who, two years after his wife’s death, donated $200,000 (today: c. $2.75 million) to fund a 48-bed department for the investigation of EL at the new Neurological Institute;22 and British entomologist and banker Charles Rothschild, who committed suicide in 1923 to escape the chronic effects of the disease he apparently contracted in 1916 or 1917.

29 minutes ago, Locke said:

What is your position?

I don't have a position... other than finding the situation curious.

All I can add to your (interesting) post is a pointer to this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/26/opinion/germany-nord-2-pipeline.html

This diplomatically ties Germany, Russia and the USA.  Curiously, the Republicans were accused of being Putin Puppets by the Democrats - but now the same Republicans are allegedly targeting Russia by insisting upon disruption to a substantial export market... against German interests (presumably).

... (Oh... reinterpreting your question...) ...

I see unusually odd policy decisions across the globe this calendar year... these policy decisions do not seem to be well-thought-through.  If an event (I don't want to suggest a specific nature of such an event - or speculate about a mechanism) were to impair the cognitive abilities of those in authority... then this would be consistent with subsequent observations.

[Oversimplification alert!] Didn't WWI start because those in authority lost the plot?

Edited by A.steve
3 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

Small drones - like a swarm of wasps - clouds of them.

probably with small explosive charges on them, or in the case of some of the American precision missiles, spinning blades to keep the deaths own to only the target

That's still science fiction territory (for now).