House Price Crash Forum

Downing Street plans new digital ID cards for British citizens

https://expressinformer.com/downing-street-plans-new-digital-id-cards-for-british-citizens/

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/digital-identity

Looks like they've done the consultation. This would be like the "COVID pass" idea mentioned before, where your COVID test status is digitally recorded allowing you to buy, sell and take part in society. Eventually vaccine status too perhaps.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

https://expressinformer.com/downing-street-plans-new-digital-id-cards-for-british-citizens/

Looks like they've done the consultation. This would be like the "COVID pass" idea mentioned before, where your COVID test status is digitally recorded allowing you to buy, sell and take part in society. Eventually vaccine status too perhaps.

Non-starter imo. Will get binned just like Alan Johnson binned the national ID cards in embarrassing fashion. 

2 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Nothing to do with Covid. 

Cummings has long been a fan of all citizens having a single verifiable digital identity, he sees this as key to revolutionising the provision and access to public services.

Almost all the tech and databases required to implement it are already there as part of the passport system (by the time the Id Cards project was canned back in 2005 the tech required to implement it was already integrated into the passport system). Although I am sure recent advances in face, gait, voice recognition could provide some nifty upgrades.

15 minutes ago, Postman said:

Non-starter imo. Will get binned just like Alan Johnson binned the national ID cards in embarrassing fashion. 

Yep. Then people will moan about NHS tourists but refuse to have any form of ID that would show eligibility for treatment 

I seem to remember from the last time this was proposed it wasn’t so much the cards themselves that were the concern, it was more the potential functionality creep of the database they were linked to. No surprise that brass-neck Blair has slithered out from under his rock to show support for it. 

Edited by ForGreatLager...
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Nothing to do with Covid.

That's not what the articles says and not what some of its proponents say.

Cummings has long been a fan of all citizens having a single verifiable digital identity, he sees this as key to revolutionising the provision and access to public services.

Absolutely nothing to do with improving the NHS for patients, or accountability.

18 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

That's not what the articles says and not what some of its proponents say.

Absolutely nothing to do with improving the NHS for patients, or accountability.

The idea was going around long before Covid, Cummings has been a fan for a long time and sees it a a key part of revolutionising all services. Could end up like China's social credit system, just have to hope we keep voting in sensible politicians.

I think I know more about this than a Times article.  I worked on the original ID cards programme and actually played a part in its cancellation; reviewed the implementation costs and established they were out by a factor of 4.

The general idea for ID cards was sound.  The last time Labour brought this forward, it fell on its a*se for 2 reasons:

i) It was to be centrally biometric, the card was linked to a central database. This would make verifying the card holder easier, but knowing how easily things are hacked this would become a gold mine for identity theft.  Look at the hacking of South Korea's database to see how bad it was. Link

ii) It was to be available 'on request by any designated party'. That meant you had to have on you all the time; police could stop and request your card for no reason - everyone suddenly being targeted by the police suddenly scared folks who didn't want to experience life as Leroy from Brixton.

3 minutes ago, msi said:

The general idea for ID cards was sound.  The last time Labour brought this forward, it fell on its a*se for 2 reasons:

i) It was to be centrally biometric, the card was linked to a central database. This would make verifying the card holder easier, but knowing how easily things are hacked this would become a gold mine for identity theft.  Look at the hacking of South Korea's database to see how bad it was. Link

ii) It was to be available 'on request by any designated party'. That meant you had to have on you all the time; police could stop and request your card for no reason - everyone suddenly being targeted by the police suddenly scared folks who didn't want to experience life as Leroy from Brixton.

It was the cost that killed it. Pie in the sky costing of £3bn to implement it turned out to be £12bn.

Allowing people to easily identify themselves was actually its most popular aspect, but something the Labour party didn't like because of the need to open it up to private industry.

You wouldn't need to carry the card because the database could identify you via your biometrics; and by definition the police cannot target everyone. 

17 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

It was the cost that killed it. Pie in the sky costing of £3bn to implement it turned out to be £12bn.

Allowing people to easily identify themselves was actually its most popular aspect, but something the Labour party didn't like because of the need to open it up to private industry.

Labour was reluctant to let Private industry create it, given the then PFI fiascos it was understandable. However the Government costings were nothing short of fag paper calculations.  Did you mean usage of the database by Private industry?

You wouldn't need to carry the card because the database could identify you via your biometrics; and by definition the police cannot target everyone. 

By definition that requires a central database to identify yourself against - and the arguments I presented for the security of that data. There was also a cash-for-ID scandal that such a database would support. No sure what you mean the police can't target everyone, having the entire UK biometrics on file allows a whole suite of less-than-savoury investigative techniques.

17 minutes ago, msi said:

Labour was reluctant to let Private industry create it, given the then PFI fiascos it was understandable. However the Government costings were nothing short of fag paper calculations.  Did you mean usage of the database by Private industry?

By definition that requires a central database to identify yourself against - and the arguments I presented for the security of that data. There was also a cash-for-ID scandal that such a database would support. No sure what you mean the police can't target everyone, having the entire UK biometrics on file allows a whole suite of less-than-savoury investigative techniques.

The Labour party didn't want the private sector to be able to access it for Id verification, they were happy to let them (Siemens) build it. I always thought this was an odd position to hold, as it could have paid for itself if it was sold as an id verification service replacing all the dozens of private databases holding this data. 

The central database exists today, it was absorbed into the Passport infrastructure. If you recall in the early 2000's the price of a passport suddenly jumped up, this was to pay for the database. 

The idea was going around long before Covid, Cummings has been a fan for a long time and sees it a a key part of revolutionising all services. Could end up like China's social credit system, just have to hope we keep voting in sensible politicians.

So you are saying you think we should have a social credit system like China's and we should keep voting for politicians that will make it so?

Edited by Arpeggio
3 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

So you are saying you think we should have a social credit system like China's and we should keep voting for politicians that will make it so?

I wonder what the criteria would be for a good or bad citizen.

2 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Just watch the videos. Once a cashless society, it's whatever the government wants it to be.

I know what it is I posted the same last year

Guess I will swapping goods for goods then or other currency. you can never have a true cashless society unless the whole world does it.

8 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Looks like sarcasm is wasted on you.

No. I didn't say that did I? But the technology exists and things easily could go that way.