House Price Crash Forum

POLL: Labour and Tories TIED

15 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I fully expect the next election to be in 2024, as it's expected to be.  Whether Johnson is PM still by then I don't know and I don't care, but someone from the Conservative party will be.

Quite. There's no need for yet another early election. Brenda from Bristol would have another fit. The 2017 election was May being mad; the 2019 election was the only way to unblock the Brexit deadline (whether you agree with the reasons or not). No party in government WANTS to hold early elections. There's an 80-seat majority which isn't going anywhere. It will not be before 2024.

Boris Johnson's string of U-turns are unsustainable and have created a "climate of uncertainty", a senior Conservative politician has warned.

Charles Walker, deputy chair of the 1922 Committee, said it was becoming "increasingly difficult" for Tory MPs to defend government policy.

The government has made several U-turns, most recently on face masks in schools and the grading of exams.

It comes as a new poll indicates that Labour has drawn level with the Tories.

In an interview with the Observer, Mr Walker said: "Too often it looks like this government licks its finger and sticks it in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. This is not a sustainable way to approach the business of governing and government.

"It is becoming increasingly difficult for backbenchers now to promote and defend government policy as so often that policy is changed or abandoned without notice. Whether this approach is by design or by accident, the climate of uncertainty it creates is unsustainable and erodes morale."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53962883

Dissension in the ranks? Senior Tories mouthing off to the Observer? That's not good.. @HovelinHove

10 hours ago, Tapori said:

Establishment Hard Vs Establishment Soft

Put in more concrete terms, it's cut spending vs hands in the till. 

The Conservative factions can compromise and agree on cutting spending for the poor and hands in the till for the rich.... so that's probably what we'll get. 

Furlough etc ends. But grants for businesses rolled out instead. Something like that. 

13 hours ago, Warlord said:

don't see that happening. I suspect the govt' will collapse and there will be a general election.

Probably when mass unemployment hits and riots in the streets.

All hell is about to break loose.

No govt with an 80 seat majority will ever call an election.

Most people understand that these are unprecedented times - unemployment will rise but people I know who have been made redundant accept it is bad luck.

The problem now is that every one thinks any bit of bad luck they ever have is all the governments or someone lese's fault.  Nothing is ever bad luck or their own fault. 

Of course the fact that Labour espouse mass immigration, do not mention that refugees have killed 6 white British people,who worked and paid taxes at Reading and Glasgow,  support George Floyd who threatened to shot a pregnant (white but who cares about white women) in the stomach and kill her baby while he was robbing her at gunpoint, and benefits for anyone who is too idle to work has not been media focus of late, when it is many will reject it as they have for the last 4 elections.

I have voted Labour and Tory in the past I am not fixed on any party.

12 hours ago, Trump Invective said:

frankly evil, corrupt, exploitative leeches.

N ot eveuil people who support Hamas, Hezbollah, IRA and are antisemitic then? That is all ok presumably.  

17 hours ago, Si1 said:

With a strong majority I can see the govt holding on to the bitter end like Gordon Brown did. Whatever Tory splits there are, doesn't mean they'll put themselves out of office.

But the votes going against them are the younger votes aren't they?

Presumably the triple lock pension and stratospheric house prices aren't a vote winner in the 16-25 age group. So what would their election strategy be????

This,

Polls go up and down its where they are come election time that matters.

Boris style does not suit the times of Corona but he will either be gone by the next election or Corona will be in the rear view mirror.

Demographic changes dont help house prices so that has to be addressed asap if they dont want to engineer their own demise.

I am going to play devils advocate here but I think they just need to steady the ship and get over corona as much as possible as events may play into their hands.

Despite a woeful performance Trump seems to be pulling in the gap there as the BLM protests etc have the effect of polarising the disparate camps.

If we get a similar effect the lines will not be who can do the best job.  It may well be I cannot vote x because I am x race and the other side want to do me down.

In essence Labour is the party of of the "woke folk" they will put pressure on Starmer to pin his colours to certain flags.  Such actions may not play as well in the areas in which he needs to win.

So he has a battle on two fronts he has already taken the knee for BLM and if our system splits down identity politics lines then we may reach sad place where no matter how crap the government is support will be along values and/or racial lines rather than competence as it is in many countries.

If the Tories start to loose ground and Boris goes it will be interesting what strategy they go for.

Edited by Fromage Frais
18 hours ago, scottbeard said:

I fully expect the next election to be in 2024, as it's expected to be.  Whether Johnson is PM still by then I don't know and I don't care, but someone from the Conservative party will be.

Quite. No chance of an early election with an 80 seat majority, but I can see Boris getting the hook - or jumping on the grounds of ill health before he does, if there is any truth to those rumours (or even if there isn't - its a decent excuse and keeps his ego relatively intact).

Things could very well get interesting before the end of the this government, with the rest of the pandemic to play out, Brexit, mass unemployment and a real risk of Scottish independence. I have no idea how any of that will pan out, but it is hard to imagine any of it going well.

If they get rid of De Piffle*, Gove is the favourite and he'll keep Cummings.

It's like putting out your own eye because it saw a tumour on your nose.

But if they could erase all three...

Edited by Timm
* is that right? Who cares?
12 hours ago, Timm said:

1200px-Official_portrait_of_Rt_Hon_Micha

p05tpqw7.jpg

This will be the last Tory government I ever see if my lifetime.

I struggle to see how they'll get back in for at least another generation once out.

It depends what happens to the popular press. I can see us ending up with a fake news channel like Fox soon enough. But then, I'm told Murdoch's kids aren't as comfortable with that direction, so it could well be someone else. Backed by Russia. Probably.

13 hours ago, Timm said:

Indeed. Gove is toxic to the average voter and would never be elected at a general election, but he would be a much better leader for the Tories. 

He’s not lazy like Johnson and is also very good at playing the culture wars, which is very important to the Tories right now. 

My guess is that if Brexit goes badly in January, Johnson will be blamed, booted and Gove installed. 

20 minutes ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

The only way for a Tory win in 2024 would be fresh blood, untainted with the many recent screw-ups, and those to come.  Watch clear daylight being put by the Establishment between the Honey Monster and Rishi.  The only other opportunity would be hill walking and surf the “sympathy”.

Voters love Rishi Right now because he’s handing out billions in free money, let’s wait until furlough ends and see how popular he is then.