House Price Crash Forum

Whatcha up to after bank holiday?

Worked throughout and will continue to do so. The pandemic has clearly affected the industry I'm in. Management have recently spoken about 5% pay cut. With people losing livelihoods out there, it seems fair enough 

Luckily still able to WFH on the same terms and salary, but with no £5k season tickets or lunches, coffees, or other 'bits'. Not likely to go back until next year either, at least until a vaccine gets sorted anyway.

Plans for the rest of the year are to save, not spend, and position myself for any House Price CARNAGE that may be in the offing 🙂

Have worked from home since March and expect to do so for the rest of 2020, and likely beyond.

It doesn't really make much the difference to us, and the company revenues for 2020 are currently ahead of expected.   Quite lucky in that respect. 

11 hours ago, Trump Invective said:

Good mix, like it. Ireckon thats a productive way to go, mixes the experiences and doesnt feel like a grind

Luckily the company invested a lot in infrastructure so could work from any office. This also translates to working from home when needed.

The return is all voluntary at the minute they just want to trial how it will work and asked for some volunteers. I like the idea of getting back a couple of days, build a routine again.

WFH all through lockdown - full time and full pay.

Wife has been made redundant though (large I.T. outsourcer for whom demand has dropped off a cliff during this crisis), so significant household income drop at the minute.

I've been working from home full time since March and would be content to carry on but probably ought to start popping into the office 1 or 2 days a week from September for appearance's sake.

Full time work from home, same hours and base salary. Don’t expect to be back in the office 5 days until virus has disappeared via herd immunity or vaccine. Expect this years total compensation to be down 20-30%. No amount of train tickets or missed coffees is going to offset that. 

I can't work from home, I drive a lorry, and worked right through 2020 as normal. Work is going through the roof lately, we're being pushed to the limits, and we're already transporting trailer loads of Mars Celebrations for Christmas. We've taken on five new drivers in the last fortnight, and more are coming through the gates. Amazon seem to be really picking up too, and we've won three new contracts (paper reels, bleach, and foodstuff). So after the bank holiday (which I'm working) I'll be having a few days off before working all next weekend. 

For the last couple of weeks it has been two days in the office (entirely voluntary), three at home. This is likely to continue for a while.

Out of a total office capacity of 22 people, we are limiting capacity to 10 a day. So far we are getting 4-6 people a day coming in.

1 hour ago, gruffydd said:

working remotely - major paycut - further paycut on the way, possibly - seems to be relatively common: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53751316

Absolute carnage in my segment of digital/tech!

Hope that doesn't catch on. Post the 2007 Great Financial Crash we saw this happen, from ~2009 that persisted for many years as the gov't crushed the public sector with the "we are all in this together" ball$hit. Many businesses also implemented pay freezes and some others just becuase they could get away with it. Such wage deflation helped offset against the inflation caused by the gov't rolling out of it's various money printing schemes. Eventually UK inflation jumped up for 2010/2011 which then compounded the damage to workers pay significantly and for some workers took more than a decade to even begin to recover.

7 minutes ago, shlomo said:

I want to retire, i have never realised how pointless work is. 

Same here - decades of experience and working in a boom sector, but wages are currently crashing having stagnated for 10-20 years! I mean what is the point! I seemed to be happier and more productive when I was a part time gardener at the age of 17! 

Plus this pandemic has exposed this ridiculous edifice for what it is - it is fake - a total charade! 

9 minutes ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

Hope that doesn't catch on. Post the 2007 Great Financial Crash we saw this happen, from ~2009 that persisted for many years as the gov't crushed the public sector with the "we are all in this together" ball$hit. Many businesses also implemented pay freezes and some others just becuase they could get away with it. Such wage deflation helped offset against the inflation caused by the gov't rolling out of it's various money printing schemes. Eventually UK inflation jumped up for 2010/2011 which then compounded the damage to workers pay significantly and for some workers took more than a decade to even begin to recover.

It's happening on a huge scale - as in the USA (and I am told in Germany but in Germany a job preservation focus... take a cut then no redundancies) https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/07/01/pay-cut-economy-coronavirus/