House Price Crash Forum

Sick And Tired Of Poor Reporting

SHERWICK

HOLA441

First news headline:

BBC NEWS | Business | House prices 'fell in late 2005' House prices in England and Wales fell by 2% in the last three months of 2005, according to authoritative figures from the Land Registry.

Second news headline:

IFAonline: House prices up 4.6% says Land Registry The Land Registry’s latest residential property price report shows average house prices in England and Wales rose 4.6% during the period October - December 2005.

For once the BBC is correct. IFA online doesn't seem to realise that 4.6% was the ANNUAL rate, not the quarterly rate as they report.

It makes me sick. :ph34r:

HOLA442

First news headline:

BBC NEWS | Business | House prices 'fell in late 2005' House prices in England and Wales fell by 2% in the last three months of 2005, according to authoritative figures from the Land Registry.

Second news headline:

IFAonline: House prices up 4.6% says Land Registry The Land Registry’s latest residential property price report shows average house prices in England and Wales rose 4.6% during the period October - December 2005.

For once the BBC is correct. IFA online doesn't seem to realise that 4.6% was the ANNUAL rate, not the quarterly rate as they report.

It makes me sick. :ph34r:

I am starting to appreciate it a little more as it is a sign of desperation. Baghdad Bob ought to be the VI mascot. It would be iknteresting to resurrect the thread on Sunday Times headlines during the Great Crash (1989-96) as I seem to recall that the VIs were claiming that the market was recovering everytime there was a slowdown in the rate of decline.

HOLA443

I am starting to appreciate it a little more as it is a sign of desperation. Baghdad Bob ought to be the VI mascot. It would be iknteresting to resurrect the thread on Sunday Times headlines during the Great Crash (1989-96) as I seem to recall that the VIs were claiming that the market was recovering everytime there was a slowdown in the rate of decline.

I have just sent this email to the editor:

Dear Julie, 'julie.henderson@incisivemedia.com'

Please get your facts right. Your press release (partly included below) is simply not true:

House prices up 4.6% says Land Registry

Wednesday 8th February 2006: 08:00

By Matthew West

The Land Registry’s latest residential property price report shows average house prices in England and Wales rose 4.6% during the period October - December 2005.

This is the annual house price inflation figure, not just for the final quarter of 2005. The BBC reports a drop of 2% for the final quarter, based on the same data.

Be incisive as your name suggests, not deceptive. Reports like this make you look as bad as all the other vested interest propaganda issuers.

Regards,

John

:ph34r:

Edited by john_d_uk

HOLA444

I have just sent this email to the editor:

Dear Julie, 'julie.henderson@incisivemedia.com'

Please get your facts right. Your press release (partly included below) is simply not true:

House prices up 4.6% says Land Registry

Wednesday 8th February 2006: 08:00

By Matthew West

The Land Registry’s latest residential property price report shows average house prices in England and Wales rose 4.6% during the period October - December 2005.

This is the annual house price inflation figure, not just for the final quarter of 2005. The BBC reports a drop of 2% for the final quarter, based on the same data.

Be incisive as your name suggests, not deceptive. Reports like this make you look as bad as all the other vested interest propaganda issuers.

Regards,

John

Let us know if you get a reply! :unsure:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I am just very pleased that the Beeb have been a little more honest for once. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got up this morning and saw the headline on the news ticker!

How has it been represented on the TV? Sadly I was too busy rowing with 'er indoors to be able to pay that much attention.

As has been observed on the other thread, I can only imagine that our furious complaint campaign has had some small effect on the BBC.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Reports like this make you look as bad as all the other vested interest propaganda issuers.

Highlighting poor reporting is perfectly valid - but with this line you come across as a delusional conspiracy theorist.

The mistake in the report was a foul-up; nothing more

The obsession with VIs is bordering on paranoia. :angry:

Edited by Europa

HOLA4410

Poor reporting is endemic in the media...as a football fan the amount of garbage that is printed about clubs (the Sol Campbell fiasco for eg) is absurd.

Sometimes the only vested interest at stake is to sell newspapers by turning a nothing statement into some superlative ridden piece of hyperbole. ("House prices are at their slowest for 10 years"/"House prices show a rampant increase of 4% this month").

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Highlighting poor reporting is perfectly valid - but with this line you come across as a delusional conspiracy theorist.

The mistake in the report was a foul-up; nothing more

The obsession with VIs is bordering on paranoia. :angry:

The report was more than poor reporting; a number of other news agencies are saying the same thing. I do think there is some form of 'conspiracy' if you like to keep the HPC at bay for as long as possible, then blame it on something else outside of the government's control.

I don't see how that is delusional, surely delusional means ignoring something that is already happening, I think I know what is happening - the start of the long decline to sensible house prices around 2009/10.

HOLA4413

It's not going to be long now before all the dials are reading negative no matter which way round you look at it. So nobody sweat about the selective spin, a change is gonna come!

No chance....if and when the "dials turn negative" then you will get a snowball of articles saying now is the time to buy, buy, buy as prices are coming down, down, down. Everything must go.

Even that isnt neccesaily VI spin in the way VI is understood on this board.

Again, the journalists look for a spin on the article to tell a good story...have an argument, an angle...so that they can get eye-catching headlines.

Edited by DonnieDarker

HOLA4414

Sometimes the only vested interest at stake is to sell newspapers by turning a nothing statement into some superlative ridden piece of hyperbole. ("House prices are at their slowest for 10 years"/"House prices show a rampant increase of 4% this month").

quite. Life, for many in the mechanical work/commute/couch potato routine of the modern world is far more boring than it is usually painted to be. I do wonder what effect the rabid sensationalism prevalent in advertising and the media has on pliant half-empty brains...

HOLA4415

No chance....if and when the "dials turn negative" then you will get a snowball of articles saying now is the time to buy, buy, buy as prices are coming down, down, down. Everything must go.

Sorry, when I say 'change' I mean in the price of houses not in the way the media operates.

EDIT: The thing that will change the media is informed debate on websites like this, where the real facts are pursued and discussed. I think people are turning away from the media and looking for answers themselves and this is one such way.

Edited by Foobar