House Price Crash Forum

Britain’s most notorious landlord serves eviction notices on all his tenants

Fergus Wilson makes the admission during a public spat between himself and a young couple over maintenance issues at their rented home in Kent.

Nigel Lewis

26th August 2020 1 Comment 967 Views

landlord

Britain’s most controversial landlord Fergus Wilson has confirmed that he’s serving Section 21 notices on all his remaining tenants as he prepared to retire and cash in the rest of his £180 million portfolio.

Wilson’s comments came during a public run-in with Callum Oakley and Emma Plaskett , who have said that Wilson is evicting them because they complained about problems with their property after moving in nine months ago.

This includes a heated email exchange between Oakley and Wilson over a faulty oven, leaky taps and a failed garage door.

But following their complaints to Wilson, the landlord has now served an eviction notice on the couple, who already have one child and another on the way.

Oakley told local media that Wilson has put them in an impossible situation, giving them little time to find a place to live.

“Because of coronavirus at the moment, there are no houses on the market, so we are both very concerned, we don’t really want to be stuck in a room with two kids,” he said. “I feel like we’ve been let down in almost every sense.”

25 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Can serve notice, but only eviction via court can remove tenant against their wishes. Is the court eviction that is on hold at the mo.

I wonder how long it would actually take for the local court to open up, work through its already huge backlog and then process all of Fergus's cases.

I think he may have inadvertently offered his tenants a 2-3yr rent free period.  

49 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I wonder how long it would actually take for the local court to open up, work through its already huge backlog and then process all of Fergus's cases.

My thoughts exactly.  

On a serious note, would there be any institutional investors willing to take this lot all off his hands?  As others mentioned he's struggled to do it during "the good times".

57 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Is he actually evicting, or just serving notice?

7 minutes ago, blackhole said:

My thoughts exactly.  

On a serious note, would there be any institutional investors willing to take this lot all off his hands?  As others mentioned he's struggled to do it during "the good times".

No institution would want a set of badly built, poorly maintained set of 2nd hand houses scattered around housing estates. What they want is a newly built set of executive flats that they fully own and control.

3 minutes ago, Houdini said:

No institution would want a set of badly built, poorly maintained set of 2nd hand houses scattered around housing estates. What they want is a newly built set of executive flats that they fully own and control.

Indeed, on-going TCO nightmare otherwise.  I'm currently in a professionally managed "build to rent" office conversion and quite frankly its dreamy in comparison to other accidental landlords I've had.

The gamble that Fergus seems to be making is the timing around evicting everyone so that he can then sell the houses free of any sitting tenant.

If covid delays mean that he regains possession of only a few houses per month, thats probably easier to deal with. If he actually got all the houses back overnight and had to keep paying the mortgages for hundreds of houses, then he could really come unstuck.

2 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

The gamble that Fergus seems to be making is the timing around evicting everyone so that he can then sell the houses free of any sitting tenant.

If covid delays mean that he regains possession of only a few houses per month, thats probably easier to deal with. If he actually got all the houses back overnight and had to keep paying the mortgages for hundreds of houses, then he could really come unstuck.

His biggest problem will be not getting either the rent or houses back.