House Price Crash Forum

People literally now starving to death in the UK!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find it quite shocking how little compassion there seems to be. There's no safety net for many, but at the same time benefits of various kinds, including eat out to help out, help to buy, etc etc are there as lifestyle subsidies.

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

I do find it quite shocking how little compassion there seems to be. There's no safety net for many, but at the same time benefits of various kinds, including eat out to help out, help to buy, etc etc are there as lifestyle subsidies.

Yes, I thought this was a horrific case in a so called civilised country.

What annoys me is that the people normally first to ask for handouts for themselves are the last to want to help people like this lady.

That is why I take some pleasure in rubbing in that Brexit has made it harder for the people that voted for it. They want to blame people who have come to the UK rather than blame Boris or their own attitude.

The asylum system needs to be reformed completely from scratch. The current rules are obsolete, do not reflect realities of modern society, and have too many loopholes.

The asylum needs to become exceptional grant rather than systematic.  As a rule it should be only available for application through embassies overseas where it is possible to confirm both identity of the applicant and circumstances of the application.

If applicant came via third country which is regarded as save, he/she should be reffered back to this country for application.

Asylum is intended to provide protection to weak and vulnerable people, however, it is abused by economic migrants who are wealthy in their society with ability to pay expensive smuggling fees. Also it is used mostly by young men while senior people, women and children are left behind.

Exactly. Apply at overseas embassies.

If you turn up in the UK by boat then you should either be returned to your last safe country or returned to your country of origin, all the above is agreed upon in international law. 

Also where did it say she starved to death? Where's the father when all this is going on? 

Sturgeon's comments were vomit inducing. 

The woman was found dead. Her son was found hungry next to her.

Saying she starved to death is not based on facts, just shroud waving.

She was from Uganda., which is not at war, has more political plurally than Scotland, neither is it some barren desert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Uganda

The economy of Uganda has great potential and appeared poised for rapid economic growth and development.[18] Uganda is endowed with significant natural resources, including ample fertile land, regular rainfall, and mineral deposits.

Chronic political instability and erratic economic management since the implementation of self-rule has produced a record of persistent economic decline that has left Uganda among the world's poorest and least-developed countries.[19] The informal economy, which is predominantly female, is broadly defined as a group of vulnerable individuals without protections in regards to their work.[20] Women face a plethora of barriers specific to gender when attempting to access the formal economy of Uganda, and research showing prejudice against lending to women in the informal sector.[21][22] The national energy needs have historically been more than domestic energy generation, though large petroleum reserves have been found in the country's west.[23]

The only people subject to  political violence were the Asians.

Uganda is crap but people dont need to leave it for countries with higher payign benefit system.

Before the usual suspects turn this into a wokefest nowhere does it say she starved to death and Uganda isn't a bad country. The problem is we are too weak here there is no deterrent for people to just turn up and if they do they are simply not housed sufficiently securely, I am firmly of the belief that if you created a system whereby people were housed on a prison ship while they entered illegally and delt with their case if if failed shoved them back in the same dingy upon which they arrived and bid them good luck heading home then we would forfil our obligations for asylum whilst setting a strong deterrent that simply making British waters isn't enough and if you want to travel to the UK then you need a boat to get you back if you don't get asylum. Currently it seems you just need something good enough to just about make it half way then you get rescued which is like climbing Snowdon in flipflops and shorts when you know a storm is incoming and expect to just be rescued. Also why is this babies state our fault nowhere in the article does it mention the father. Too many people blame the state for issues of individuals within society. Sorry there is a concept of accountability and responsibility.

We have far to many of our own problems without importing more from other places. I note crowdfunding campaign for the lady has raised 30k well if they had simply paid that to a charity housing asylum seekers than that would be better as prevention instead of moaning so the rest of us pay more tax to fund the facilities.

9 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

That is why I take some pleasure in rubbing in that Brexit has made it harder for the people that voted for it.

Has not made  it harder for me or anyone I know

9 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

nowhere does it say she starved to death and Uganda isn't a bad country.

Agreed

10 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

The problem is we are too weak here there is no deterrent for people to just turn up

Agreed

10 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

Also why is this babies state our fault nowhere in the article does it mention the father. Too many people blame the state for issues of individuals within society. Sorry there is a concept of accountability and responsibility.

Agreed

If I went to Uganda with no money and no where to live I would not expect to be given a free house and food and money by taxpayers there 

7 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

I’m confused - nowhere in the article does it say that anyone starved to death?

Indeed this is another cynical attempt (by a probably non British) rabid remainer to simply have a go at Britain and brexit.

5 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

Indeed this is another cynical attempt (by a probably non British) rabid remainer to simply have a go at Britain and brexit.

Indeed it is 🙄 Rabid is not even close, and what this unfortunate person had to do with Brexit is beyond me?

9 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

That is why I take some pleasure in rubbing in that Brexit has made it harder for the people that voted for it. They want to blame people who have come to the UK rather than blame Boris or their own attitude.

He tried to blame the cancellation of Land of Hope and Glory by the BBC on Brexit too 😂

Edited by Huggy

If your first argument is "..but she didn't apply properly.." or " ...she didn't need to come over" or "..what do you expect..." take a f******g good look at yourself in the mirror.

You are one step away from looking at a UC claimant starving and saying "..if you worked hard enough..."

Same sort that rabbit on about 'children at risk from gangs'..but then whine when social services ask for money.

Same sort that rabbit on about 'charity begins at home'...but then to f*** all to help out in soup kitchens and collecting donations (yes I've seen your rants on food banks 'creating' demand)

There is no difference between you and BTL scum lords who think they are 'providing' housing. 

12 hours ago, AAA said:

The asylum system needs to be reformed completely from scratch. The current rules are obsolete, do not reflect realities of modern society, and have too many loopholes.

The asylum needs to become exceptional grant rather than systematic.  As a rule it should be only available for application through embassies overseas where it is possible to confirm both identity of the applicant and circumstances of the application.

If applicant came via third country which is regarded as save, he/she should be reffered back to this country for application.

Asylum is intended to provide protection to weak and vulnerable people, however, it is abused by economic migrants who are wealthy in their society with ability to pay expensive smuggling fees. Also it is used mostly by young men while senior people, women and children are left behind.

I don't think it would work to make asylum only available at embassies.

The change I would make is to have all asylum claims handled by an international group [UN or the like] with the asylum seeker allocated a country based on places made available by host countries. All states would contribute costs and each asylum seeker would come with funding paid to their host.

That would completely remove the abuse of the system since economic migrants could not choose their destination. It would also encourage countries with unused infrastructure and need for imported cash to accomodate them safely.

Returning to first safe country has failed, was unfair to those with unsafe countries on their border and should be scrapped.

Suspect the above system would remove current asylum seekers but add huge number of potless refugees - eg all the poor on the border with syria who have no money for illegal economic migration, genuinely can't go home because of danger and need help.

The other change I would make is give a temporary refuge/asylum for 5, 10 or even 15 years with the ongoing assumption the rights to refuge are lost at the end of the period if the refuge is no longer needed.

2 hours ago, Huggy said:

Indeed it is 🙄 Rabid is not even close, and what this unfortunate person had to do with Brexit is beyond me?

He tried to blame the cancellation of Land of Hope and Glory by the BBC on Brexit too 😂

But BLM is a reaction to Trump and Brexit, and so Brexit is to blame. Brexit has also increased illegal immigration. 

15 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

But BLM is a reaction to Trump and Brexit, and so Brexit is to blame. Brexit has also increased illegal immigration. 

Please, Please give a logical argument or citation as to how the Brexit vote precipitated the popular reaction to George Floyd's murder in the US...

it is a total non sequitar

...except there's absolutely nothing about the woman STARVING. She's been found dead next to a baby that hasn't been fed. She could've died of a number of causes. There's nothing in there about the woman starving. She could very well have died of a drug overdose or an underlying heart condition or whatever. 

People don't starve in the UK. If I found myself in that kind of situation ("starving"), I'd go to the nearest store and break a window, then wait for the police to arrest me (and feed me - not like they've got much of a choice in that matter). 

If this is an attempt to manipulate people, it's definitely not a very good one.

18 hours ago, Si1 said:

and Therese Coffey does not look short of food!

2 hours ago, flb said:

...except there's absolutely nothing about the woman STARVING.

The propaganda from the left is reminiscent of the propaganda I have seen used by the Chinese Communist Party on their own people; That is to say it does not have to be convincing because there is no democracy anyway, the CCP control everything and everyone. The CCP absurdly referred to the water from a broken Dam causing flooding and death as "Naughty children who came out to play".

Edited by Arpeggio
1 minute ago, Arpeggio said:

The propaganda from the left is reminiscent of the propaganda I have seen used by the Chinese Communist Party on their own people; That is to say it does not have to be convincing because there is no democracy anyway, the CCP control everything and everyone. The CCP referred to the water from a broken Dam causing flooding and death as "Naughty children who came out to play".

Yeah, it's all propaganda. You've got to be a complete tool to believe that normal people starve. Yeah, I can imagine someone with mental problems starving - I mean, you could fill their fridge and they might be too afraid to open it. But normal people, starving in the UK? No. It doesn't happen and it hasn't happened in a very, VERY long time.

Leftist ********.

The way the economy has up to now held up, in the face of such adversity, says a lot about the leadership of the like of Boris and Trump.

The pending economic storm could not have been handled any better by Corbyn, Bidon, or even the blandest of the bland - Obama himself.

Will winter be ugly? Yes.

Will their soon be a financial crisis? Yes.

Do the populations of the UK and the U.S. believe in their leaders as the best people to deal with that crisis? Yes.

If you're struggling yourself, put your savings on Trump to win 4 more years in Office.

It's laughable how certain news agencies try to mislead and deny that absolute certainty...again.