House Price Crash Forum

Small Businesses - "Eat Out To Help Out Needs To Be Extended"

The bailouts can't stop now as everyone will go bust.  Next up will be an extension to the furlough scheme imo.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/26/extend-eat-help-small-businesses-13178414/

"Several small businesses have united to urge Rishi Sunak to extend the Eat Out to Help Out scheme further than its arranged finish date at the end of August."

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

The bailouts can't stop now as everyone will go bust.  Next up will be an extension to the furlough scheme imo.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/26/extend-eat-help-small-businesses-13178414/

"Several small businesses have united to urge Rishi Sunak to extend the Eat Out to Help Out scheme further than its arranged finish date at the end of August."

Of course they have, no one wants the phony war to end.

1 hour ago, dpg50000 said:

This government is basically ruled by social media nowadays.

Sadly anyone under 35 is dominated by it so all govts  have to play the game 

43 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Tried to eat out on Monday evening. Tried three places - all full. Gave up.

I saw huge queues - I cannot be bothered to save £10

42 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Has to be one of the most stupid schemes I've ever f**king heard of and there is a lot of competition for that.

I have no problem with it if it keeps pubs restaurants open and low paid workers in a job 

19 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

saved money by spending it

Exactly!  Why save £5 on one meal when you can save £50 on ten meals?  Hmm...

Reminds me of a bit of the old joke:

Trying to save money on my commuting, so today I ran home from work alongside the bus - saved myself £1.90.  When I got home my Dad said "Well why didn't you run home alongside a taxi and save £10?"

1 hour ago, Social Justice League said:

Or just do away with the ridiculous and ineffectual CCPV regulations?

Like all support its easier to put in that remove... 

Wait until buisness rates become due again. A sensible goverment would try reform to change an outdated system to try and capture more online to share the tax burden. 

Im not holding my breath

1 hour ago, rantnrave said:

Tried to eat out on Monday evening. Tried three places - all full. Gave up.

Yes I struggled to get a meal yesterday. Local Facebook seems to be full of people saying 'this weeks your last chance, get out and treat your family' I ended up travelling quite far as I'd promised my kids not realising how busy it would be. 

Staff in the Frankie and Bennies I went to said it was manic Mon to Wed but dead every other day. But... The bill was what it usually would be anyway, there were no offers or deals just the inflated normal prices, whereas normally we would have picked from a set menu, or an early evening deal or something similar. 

Apart from some 18 inch plastic screens mounted on top of the booths there was zero social distancing or restrictions. The place was completely full, I was sat within 1m of 4 other tables, No tables left empty to promote spacing out of customers, my server had to lower his mask so I could hear him, My wife complained the queue for the men's toilet stopped her getting into the women's toilet. 

25 minutes ago, regprentice said:

Yes I struggled to get a meal yesterday. Local Facebook seems to be full of people saying 'this weeks your last chance, get out and treat your family' I ended up travelling quite far as I'd promised my kids not realising how busy it would be. 

Staff in the Frankie and Bennies I went to said it was manic Mon to Wed but dead every other day. But... The bill was what it usually would be anyway, there were no offers or deals just the inflated normal prices, whereas normally we would have picked from a set menu, or an early evening deal or something similar. 

Apart from some 18 inch plastic screens mounted on top of the booths there was zero social distancing or restrictions. The place was completely full, I was sat within 1m of 4 other tables, No tables left empty to promote spacing out of customers, my server had to lower his mask so I could hear him, My wife complained the queue for the men's toilet stopped her getting into the women's toilet. 

Social distancing has completely gone out the window in my local on Monday to Wednesday. They are cramming as many people in as possible to maximise their benefit. Punters don’t seem to give a t0ss as they’re getting a deal. That being said, there has been no reported spike in cases off the back of it so maybe it’s less risky now.

Edited by Odysseus

I am a bit mixed on this.

My place was doing ok in July and with good weekends.

EOTOH has made Monday. Tuesday and Wednesdays very very busy and taken a bit from the other days.  

I worry though as i dont think I need it when other people need the money more.....but if I do not do it I will not have any customers on those days as they demand it.

I am also in the standard price should be the right price camp and I hate discounting and vouchers I do not do them when this is over are people going to be able to pay normal prices for food again or is it going to cause a bigger lul after it ends.

It has got places open again which is a good impact.... but it needs to end now and some reality implemented.

5 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Social distancing has completely gone out the window in my local on Monday to Wednesday. They are cramming as many people in as possible to maximise their benefit. Punters don’t seem to give a t0ss as they’re getting a deal. That being said, there has been no reported spike in cases off the back of it so maybe it’s less risky now.

We're at the low point in the year for transmission of the other coronaviruses - if you look at the graph below they pretty much disappear around August/September most years before coming back with a vengeance in October/November. There's a big worry here that everyone is being lulled into a false sense of security and we're going to be slow to react again if we have another wave in the autumn.

1-s2.0-S0025619620305486-gr1.jpg

In general we are doing the same as happened in the '70's. Industries that are no longer viable are being supported by governments that cannot face facts. They will try to maintain the status quo until its someone else's problem. When we need leaders all we have are second rate managers.

There was a queue of chavpots standing inline for half price curryclub outside spoons yesterday  why the fark queue for some chite that costs £7 anyway in a meal deal. have all these chavpots spent their furlough already.  

7 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

In general we are doing the same as happened in the '70's. Industries that are no longer viable are being supported by governments that cannot face facts. They will try to maintain the status quo until its someone else's problem. When we need leaders all we have are second rate managers.

Agreed. This does smell like the 70s. 

Unexpected crisis and VIs that have the govt by the balls. 

Looks more and more like inflation.

52 minutes ago, This time said:

We're at the low point in the year for transmission of the other coronaviruses - if you look at the graph below they pretty much disappear around August/September most years before coming back with a vengeance in October/November. There's a big worry here that everyone is being lulled into a false sense of security and we're going to be slow to react again if we have another wave in the autumn.

1-s2.0-S0025619620305486-gr1.jpg

That graph seems to show a yearly spike around feb to April rather than bi yearly which is what an autumn spike would be expected to show.