House Price Crash Forum

London on the slide (Reading's not even a city :D )

1 hour ago, markyh said:

Oh yes she's fine, ex-model, has a British passport and in the top 10% of earners in the UK, so her taxes pay for all the spongers and take take take immigrants. "Shilling Bitcoin" , that i take offence too, the rest is pretty much spot on. lol. 

What has what you earn got to do with being an individual of quality?

A very poor metric when evaluating a person.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Towns like Reading always have to struggle against the influence of the metropolis next door. Sounds like they're doing well attracting work, but it's not a place I'd put at the top of list of places to move to. There are places within a hour of London that have kept a certain attractiveness, such as St Albans, maybe Beaconsfield, but not many.

You might not like markeyh's tone and phrasing.

However we've done this issue on the Reading sub forum.

https://www.reading.gov.uk/jsna/ethnicity

Reading white British pop fell from almost 90% (86%) in 2000 to 67% in 2011.

That's a *huge* fall.

And that's 10 years ago.

Those numbers are going to be around 50% now.

That's getting on got ethnic cleansing.

4 hours ago, Freki said:

The issue is that so many offices in the centre are just empty. Forbury Road, there is a large building hosting KPMG on the last 2 floors. But all the rest is empty. On the other side of Forbury Gardens, above the Carluccio's it is empty. Next to the train station, you have the soon to be vacated Thames Water HQ. And on the redevelopment on the south side of the train station, you have plenty of office spaces looking for tenants. I really wonder how come any developer think it is a good idea to pile more offices when vacancies seem so high already. Worst part is that retrofitting some of those blocks feel near impossible with no walls and impossible to open windows.

Is this cargo cult town planning?  The belief that if enough offices are built in a town then companies will come to it. 

2 hours ago, Will! said:

Is this cargo cult town planning?  The belief that if enough offices are built in a town then companies will come to it. 

But it needs a developer as well on the other side. I doubt that everything is owned by the council. Some of them must be losing a lot of money. 

7 hours ago, Locke said:

I take it you haven't met many Afrikaners

Oh I have. Worked and managed *many*.

People I would have considered white but with an ever so slight shade are considered non-white and inferior by the pure white Afrikaners and stories they tell me and resentment they have towards how they are currently viewed by the 'priveleged' white folk in SA.

I'll never forget a pleasant conversation  I had once with a couple of British white, Asian, african-american blokes and a white Saffer joined us . Talking about falling in love , marrying and starting families with a person of a different colour . All agreed it doesn't matter, Saffer said "I don't want to raise a confused child and prefer my own"

Conversation ended there. 

8 hours ago, spyguy said:

I doubt that.

The pre 9 trains to London are packed. The ones back to Rdhg are mainly air.

You are talking nonsense

https://www.ft.com/content/a50684dc-707b-11e2-85d0-00144feab49a

Contrary to first impressions, Reading has a net inward commuter flow. Its local council estimates 24,000 of 150,000 residents travel to and from London daily, most using the frequent 25-minute rail services or spending an hour each way on the M4 motorway. But a surprising 30,000 others commute to the town, mostly from towns and cities such as Swindon, Oxford and Basingstoke and their nearby villages, all within a 40-mile radius.

8 hours ago, spyguy said:

No. Reading has always had bars n what not.

Its losing its clubs at a rapid rate. Either to housing (afterdark ) or standby (take your pick)

Yeah it did. Much like any other town in the uk, but just like other towns people can move to somewhere nicer for a night out.

Your views of Reading and the M4 corridor seem stick in 1960. 

People used to travel to Slough for a butt out because Reading was crap and rough. Now it is the opposite way around. 

4 hours ago, spyguy said:

That's a *huge* fall.

And that's 10 years ago.

It is downright racism plain and simple. Not a f***ing tone.

Looks like your BS definition of ethnic cleansing is doing very well for the local economy. Maybe the white trash got priced out and/or evicted. Maybe it's foreign students. Maybe it's my dentist and my GP, coming over here and fixing my teeth and keeping me healthy. 

6 hours ago, Hullabaloo82 said:

I always wondered what the "h" stood for. Humble? Honest? 

Hard of thinking?

The guy has swapped cash for bitcoins 😂👍🏻.

Next ill get told about fiat currencies and printing and how bitcoin is fixed. 

Then along comes quantum computing. 

6 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

Towns like Reading always have to struggle against the influence of the metropolis next door. Sounds like they're doing well attracting work, but it's not a place I'd put at the top of list of places to move to. There are places within a hour of London that have kept a certain attractiveness, such as St Albans, maybe Beaconsfield, but not many.

They are nice places but you pay for it. Traffic in St Albans rivals Bristol and parking is horrendous. Beaconsfield is very nice but crazy expensive. I dated a city actuary who lived there last year. She was doing pretty well but needed to be to buy there. 

7 hours ago, ubuntu said:

She hates that song, i often sing it to wind her up. She pretty much left SA in her twenties as soon as Apartheid ended, and came to Europe. Afrikaans accent is not that attractive on a woman, to harsh, luckily although my wife speaks it fluently, she has a posh British Capetonian accent, which a posh Cape Town boarding school helped with. Now she's been here 20 years you have to listen carefully to spot she's a saffi, most don't realise and think she is from a well to do English background. 

4 hours ago, spyguy said:

That's a *huge* fall.

And that's 10 years ago.

I had a work head office their 2004-2007, i know what you mean.

40 minutes ago, adarmo said:

Looks like your BS definition of ethnic cleansing is doing very well for the local economy. Maybe the white trash got priced out and/or evicted. Maybe it's foreign students. Maybe it's my dentist and my GP, coming over here and fixing my teeth and keeping me healthy. 

Anyone who says the are not racist one bit are just kidding themselves. 

1 hour ago, househunter123 said:

Saffer said "I don't want to raise a confused child and prefer my own"

Hey each to their own, but pretty much me and my wife's view, hence we are together. Plenty of other cultures are exactly the same, Japanese especially. Muhummed Ali had exactly the same views and expressed it in TV interviews. Nothing wrong with wanting to marry and raise children in your own ethnic group.  And I have not just white girls but dated British and American Black girls, filipino nurses, a russian, spanish.  

But when it came to marriage and kids, i found the good, looking posh sounding, intelligent, hard working Cape Town girl hard to resist, even if she was a tad more racist than me. (As far as she knows all my exes and past dates are White British)

26 minutes ago, markyh said:

She hates that song, i often sing it to wind her up. She pretty much left SA in her twenties as soon as Apartheid ended, and came to Europe. Afrikaans accent is not that attractive on a woman, to harsh, luckily although my wife speaks it fluently, she has a posh British Capetonian accent, which a posh Cape Town boarding school helped with. Now she's been here 20 years you have to listen carefully to spot she's a saffi, most don't realise and think she is from a well to do English background. 

My father once told me in the early 90s the definition of heaven is 1) living in the USA 2) on an English salary 3) driving a German car 4) eating Chinese food and 5) having a South African wife.
The definition of hell is 1) living in China 2) on a South African salary 3) driving an American car 4) eating German food and 5) having an English wife.

4 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

My father once told me in the early 90s the definition of heaven is 1) living in the USA 2) on an English salary 3) driving a German car 4) eating Chinese food and 5) having a South African wife.
The definition of hell is 1) living in China 2) on a South African salary 3) driving an American car 4) eating German food and 5) having an English wife.

SA wives are a little more "old school" than English women. My wife accepts that when she gets paid, she transfers all her pay to me, and i give her some "spending & hair money" back (about £400 pcm) to a specific account, and the rest is to go with my earnings for the family into a joint account. 

She is happy enough as she hates bills and financial stuff, all she wants to know are things like when our current EV is paid for in October can she lease a new Peugeot EV for 2-3 years that then gets replaced with a Tesla Model Y when they arrive. To which i reply, yep should be doable, now get on with the ironing!!!

6 hours ago, adarmo said:

You are talking nonsense

https://www.ft.com/content/a50684dc-707b-11e2-85d0-00144feab49a

Contrary to first impressions, Reading has a net inward commuter flow. Its local council estimates 24,000 of 150,000 residents travel to and from London daily, most using the frequent 25-minute rail services or spending an hour each way on the M4 motorway. But a surprising 30,000 others commute to the town, mostly from towns and cities such as Swindon, Oxford and Basingstoke and their nearby villages, all within a 40-mile radius.

Hmm ... I call BS.

Id read that text carefully.

24k travel from Rdg to London. I can assure you most will not be local i.e. most will live outside of Rdg town centre.

30k commute to the town? For work, morning and evening rush hours?

Nah, they are counting people travelling into Rdg for stuff like school, shopping and going out, from 7am to 11pm

They also might be counting people who never leave the station, getting onto the fast London train.

Ive been outside Rdg station in the morning, Theres no crows poruing out of the station.

6 hours ago, adarmo said:

Yeah it did. Much like any other town in the uk, but just like other towns people can move to somewhere nicer for a night out.

Your views of Reading and the M4 corridor seem stick in 1960. 

People used to travel to Slough for a butt out because Reading was crap and rough. Now it is the opposite way around. 

No.

This is mid 90s. I still visit the town about once a year - if I can choose.

You had- and still have a choice of going out in the M4 valley.

You go into London - ££££££

Or you go into Rdg - £

Towns like Oxford (full of students), Swindon (nothing), Bracknell (nothing),  Wham (dull/nothing) Bstoke (nothing) and the surrounding surrounding villages

Rdg is not busy with eager commuter arrive for a hard day at the office.

Friday and the WE do see a lot pour into the station.

11 hours ago, Will! said:

A bit.

I think councils/developers go - Hmm, sqfoot is ££££ in London. But only ££ in Rdg.

Lets built some offices!  - See Station Hill.

Imagine all the high earning office workers, software people!!!!!

The reality is that, outside of London, the pitch is getting people to drive to the office.

This is no longer viable in the M4 as theres just too much traffic. A mates commute  to Rdg is ~15min 10m drive, followed by somewhere between 20min and 40min for the last 2 miles.

The only positive is that hes not going anywhere near the town, which he refused to drive into now, unless its after 10pm.

And thats congested in a non productive way, just too may cars.

8 hours ago, Freki said:

But it needs a developer as well on the other side. I doubt that everything is owned by the council. Some of them must be losing a lot of money. 

It needs an easy commute into town.

The more connections, the less attractive it is to workers.

Connections esp train/bus kill commuters.

Rdg has two major business parks. TVP, which used to be the future but is a pain to get to.

And Green Park, which Ive never been near.

TVP needs a shuttle bus, which will just get caught up in the insane traffic.

Its walkable. But youd not get many people wanting to walk it when its dark.

Green Park, like Godot, is waiting for its station.

I think a lot of the Rg development is connected  up to CrossRail ,which has been oversold. more so as it looks like London is seeing structural shift in both offices and commercial real estate and working patterns down to the virus.

Paying for CrossRail is loaded on its users/surrounding businesses. They might find the wirght hard to bear.

7 hours ago, adarmo said:

White trash priced out....

Whos the racist?

Any urban areas that faces that level of reduction- and those figures will have gone fast 2010->2020 than they did 2000-2010 - is going to struggle with social cohesion.

Rather than being 'priced out' I think whats happened is IO BTL idiots have piled in, and replaced the natve born white black n brown, with a load of low paid, benefit dependent renting non native English speakers white, brown n black.

S25 and the virus is going to kind to Reading.

44 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Hmm ... I call BS.

Id read that text carefully.

24k travel from Rdg to London. I can assure you most will not be local i.e. most will live outside of Rdg town centre.

30k commute to the town? For work, morning and evening rush hours?

Nah, they are counting people travelling into Rdg for stuff like school, shopping and going out, from 7am to 11pm

They also might be counting people who never leave the station, getting onto the fast London train.

Ive been outside Rdg station in the morning, Theres no crows poruing out of the station.

There are multiple accounts of this. Happy to look at anything that substantiates your claim beyond you saw an empty train leaving Reading.