House Price Crash Forum

Apple's $2 trillion market capitalization is so big that it's now worth almost as much as the entire UK stock market

shlomo

HOLA441

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/apple-2-trillion-rally-market-capitalization-entire-uk-stock-market-2020-8-1029524339#

• Apple's stock price has ballooned so much in recent weeks that it is on track to be worth more than the entirety of the UK's benchmark share index, the FTSE 100.
  • The tech giant became the first US-listed company to reach the $2 trillion mark this week. 
  • According to data from Bloomberg, the FTSE is worth just shy of $2.2 trillion. 
  • If Apple's stock rises 7%, it will surpass the FTSE in market capitalization.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the secret of the USA that they can create companies like these.

(I know no one on HPC has any apple products)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

UK might have had a better shot if they didnt destroy the first computers at Bletchley Park and kill the genius that created them. Good old victorian values hypocrisy over homosexuality. 

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. 

USA is also such a huge market you crack that you can conquer the world. Crack the UK and you still have huge risks moving and expanding elsewhere 

Edited by captainb

HOLA443

Harry Potter still sells worldwide! ;)

Of more concern is the lacklustre retail trade. M&S, Debenhams,John Lewis etc., all look like being wiped out by the likes of Uniqlo/Zara/Ikea.  At least Primark is putting up a good fight (thank you Ireland).

We're told that our arms industry does well on the world stage - should we be proud of that?

Sports events. When covid isn't around.

I'm sure I've missed plenty of examples.

HOLA444
7 minutes ago, captainb said:

UK might have had a better shot if they didnt destroy the first computers at Bletchley Park and kill the genius that created them. Good old victorian values hypocrisy over homosexuality. 

USA is also such a huge market you crack that you can conquer the world. Crack the UK and you still have huge risks moving and expanding elsewhere 

What skill set and/or infrastructure does the UK lack in being unable to manage something like this. 

HOLA445
1 minute ago, shlomo said:

What skill set and/or infrastructure does the UK lack in being unable to manage something like this. 

Many moons ago, i audited urban outfitters. Their UK turnover was about 120m per annum. In the usa same buisness model and store distribution. 

Called the us partner to discuss results.. He was like yeah im easy, UK figures are immaterial. Was a bit surprised so asked USA turnover... $3.2billion. Ok then. 

The US market is huge. You have to work there to realise just how huge. 

You just don't get that scale here and now we are leaving the EU it will be even harder to gain. 

HOLA446
3 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

Of more concern is the lacklustre retail trade. M&S, Debenhams,John Lewis etc., all look like being wiped out by the likes of Uniqlo/Zara/Ikea.  At least Primark is putting up a good fight (thank you Ireland).

We're told that our arms industry does well on the world stage - should we be proud of that?

This is one company, makes you realise that on some criteria the USA is the best in the world.

HOLA447
6 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

Music and media in general UK pushes above its weight... 

Unfortunately us tech giants make the profits from it. Money for old rope 30% take on the apple platform

HOLA448
9 minutes ago, captainb said:

Music and media in general UK pushes above its weight... 

Coronovirus is going to decimate those sectors.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, captainb said:

Many moons ago, i audited urban outfitters. Their UK turnover was about 120m per annum. In the usa same buisness model and store distribution. 

Called the us partner to discuss results.. He was like yeah im easy, UK figures are immaterial. Was a bit surprised so asked USA turnover... $3.2billion. Ok then. 

You just don't get that scale here and now we are leaving the EU it will be even harder to gain. 

We spend so much time talking about about “Great” Britain is, how important we are to EU and the world, it’s easy to delude ourselves and forget the reality of our tiny islands. 

We had an empire, once. Now, we jump to Trump’s tune. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
6 hours ago, shlomo said:

(I know no one on HPC has any apple products)

I have an iphone for home use, and a second iphone for work use.  I really like them.  I usually buy the model 2 previous to the latest one (for example, when iphone 7 was the latest one i got iphone 5) and that makes it quite cheap.

I used to have an ipod, but sadly after around 7 years' almost daily use it has packed up - but had a good innings.

Sadly on HPC it seems the cool kids in the playground don't say to say "I have a few Apple products and think they're quite good" but statistically there must be a lot of them who do and just don't say.

6 hours ago, captainb said:

+1

This is exactly it.  You have an ENORMOUS market of 300 million people, all native English speakers, and all citizens of the richest country on Earth, to scale your business up to.  Once you have that, you have a huge springboard to taking down the rest of the world.

HOLA4416
4 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

We had an empire, once. Now, we jump to Trump’s tune. 

And before long the USA will jump to China and India's tune.

We shouldn't be kicking ourselves that we let our Empire go - these things never last forever.  It's farcical to imagine a tiny island could rule 1/3 of the world in perpetuity, just as it's farcical to imagine that 300 million Americans can dictate to 500 million Europeans and 2 billion Asians for much longer.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
7 hours ago, captainb said:

That was one of Churchill's less good decisions. TPTB were terrified of a world where their secret communications could be easily decoded.  

5 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

The US government has had more involvement in the growth of their companies tech dominance than most people would think. 

The US tech giants grew on the back of billions invested by the US public sector in basic research. Forgetting that lesson is why China has overtaken them in 5G.

HOLA4419
19 minutes ago, longgone said:

The power of brainwashing consumers to convince them the product is good.

Overpriced tat

Apple give their customers what they want, ease of use and a nice feeling of belonging.

They don't care that its not the best value or best tech. I cannot understand why people pay £1,000 for an i phone to do things they could do just as well on a £200 Android but to them that feeling of belonging is clearly worth the extra money.   

It also helps that, even if they wanted to,  they wouldn't have a clue about how to start extracting themselves from the Apple ecosystem

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4420
3 minutes ago, longgone said:

The power of brainwashing consumers to convince them the product is good.

Overpriced tat

I remember when the first iPhone came out and muppets were queuing up outside carphone warehouse etc. Pretty sad tp see such sheeple like behaviour. Got mates whose Mac book pros were set up pretty nice running parallels VM and a couple of older versions of Windows, quite slick but i've done it the other way round too. I like my windows machines to be on the rugged side with current fetish being Tecra Toshiba but Thinkpad is similar confidence on building sites - covered in dust n' sh1t. Back to phones Android all the way.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, smash said:

I remember when the first iPhone came out and muppets were queuing up outside carphone warehouse etc. Pretty sad tp see such sheeple like behaviour. Got mates whose Mac book pros were set up pretty nice running parallels VM and a couple of older versions of Windows, quite slick but i've done it the other way round too. I like my windows machines to be on the rugged side with current fetish being Tecra Toshiba but Thinkpad is similar confidence on building sites - covered in dust n' sh1t. Back to phones Android all the way.

Apple products aren't even good. 

HOLA4423
25 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I have an iphone for home use, and a second iphone for work use.  I really like them.  I usually buy the model 2 previous to the latest one (for example, when iphone 7 was the latest one i got iphone 5) and that makes it quite cheap.

I used to have an ipod, but sadly after around 7 years' almost daily use it has packed up - but had a good innings.

Sadly on HPC it seems the cool kids in the playground don't say to say "I have a few Apple products and think they're quite good" but statistically there must be a lot of them who do and just don't say.

+1

This is exactly it.  You have an ENORMOUS market of 300 million people, all native English speakers, and all citizens of the richest country on Earth, to scale your business up to.  Once you have that, you have a huge springboard to taking down the rest of the world.

I used to have a few Apple products but not any more, now an £80 Amazon tablet does everything I need a tablet for pretty well, and a £300 Xaiomi does everything I need a phone for extremely well. 

Sadly I still have a work iPhone, I did try to switch the company to Android but the rest of the Board was unanimous they wanted to keep their iPhones. 

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Apple give their customers what they want, ease of use and a nice feeling of belonging.

They don't care that its not the best value or best tech. I cannot understand why people pay £1,000 for an i phone to do things they could do just as well on a £200 Android but to them that felling of belonging is clearly worth the extra money.   

It also helps that, even if they wanted to,  they wouldn't have a clue about how to start extracting themselves from the Apple ecosystem

Quite a few years ago (before Spotify, Deezer etc) I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours carefully ripping, encoding and tagging my CD collection, all done the best way at the time. Accidentally iTunes got hold of my files and began re-ordering, re-tagging them. So for example iTunes would take a compilation album and then turn it into multiple folders on the basis of artists. Did the same with soundtrack albums, fecking BS. If I want to listen to an album i want to do exactly that, listen to the album as it was compiled. Glad itunes is history as its basically for people who don't get that an album is an artistic statement in itself, its for people who don't get music, it also took me many hours to put right and re-tag my files.

HOLA4425
10 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

They don't care that its not the best value or best tech. I cannot understand why people pay £1,000 for an i phone to do things they could do just as well on a £200 Android but to them that feeling of belonging is clearly worth the extra money.   

No apple tell their retard customers what they need in a flashy case with cheap low rent internals.

About the only good thing they made was the original ipod.