House Price Crash Forum

Surge in the cost of fuel and HAIRCUTS and a lack of clothing discounts by under-pressure retailers drive shock inflation rise

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in NW London I've not noticed any price rises yet. It's always been a place of huge competition for barbers/hairdressers so maybe there is no scope to put up prices. Eating out is now cheaper thanks to EOTHO. And the likes of Tescos and Sainsburys know that with Aldi and Lidl around they have to be very careful about over-pricing. 

Local dentist wants £80+ extra for ‘decontamination’ after each visit. Put that in your goods and services inflation basket and smoke it :D 

I’ve noticed the discounts aren’t as big as could have been expected. Food round here (London) seems to have gone up, especially anything imported (ie nice fruit and veg). Organic meat is £££ now.

52 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8642231/Rate-Consumer-Price-Index-inflation-rose-1-July-0-6-June-UK.html

Ok, it's the daily fail, but it's nice and doomy.

Not a surprise to several commentators on here who were saying this all along.

I'm happy with slightly higher prices, may be a move back to quality over cheap tat will take place. 

Tat is what has ruined the economy..... 

13 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Local dentist wants £80+ extra for ‘decontamination’ after each visit. Put that in your goods and services inflation basket and smoke it :D 

I’ve noticed the discounts aren’t as big as could have been expected. Food round here (London) seems to have gone up, especially anything imported (ie nice fruit and veg). Organic meat is £££ now.

What are you having decontaminated? 

"Sorry Dentist, just back from a couple of weeks in the wilds of Chernobyl, living outside, drinking the local springwater" 

10 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

"Sorry Dentist, just back from a couple of weeks in the wilds of Chernobyl, living outside, drinking the local springwater" 

😄 we have introduced an AGP fee (aerosol generating procedure fee)

On 8/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

If you have not been aware, since March there has been a viral pandemic of SARS-CoV-2 that has killed over 820,000. 

On 8/19/2020 at 11:43 AM, highcontrast said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8642231/Rate-Consumer-Price-Index-inflation-rose-1-July-0-6-June-UK.html

Ok, it's the daily fail, but it's nice and doomy.

Not a surprise to several commentators on here who were saying this all along.

I think some on here are expecting more than the heady heights of 1.6%.

Try an order of magnitude or "golditude" higher 

2 hours ago, Tulip_mania said:

What's this going to do to the price of Avocado Toast, millennials will never save a deposit now.  

I think the avocado harvest hasn't been great either. There have been a lot of problems with crops around the world.

56 minutes ago, MarkG said:

I think the avocado harvest hasn't been great either. There have been a lot of problems with crops around the world.

Alas, then we should expect more "Woke Snowflake" suicides in the coming months. 

8 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

First rounds of QE pushed RPI to 5% if I recall? BoE didn't put IRs up to fight that, and I doubt they will if inflation goes over 2% this time. Could put an end to NIRP discussions though...

Insidiously, Labour switched the BoE inflation target to CPI which excludes housing costs. 

Even if there is an unexpected spike in the near term they target a projection 2 years out so we could be running 'hot' on inflation for a year or 18 months but if the models show it hitting 2% in two years time they won't do anything. 

Agree on your NIRP point though if it ever happens it's only to 'push on the string' and try to get people to borrow. I doubt the consumer would ever see close to negative. Closest would be zero or close to that for very low risk mortgagees imho.

Then again you can get interest free money through credit cards for a couple of years, use that to pay for your daily expenditure and their everything into the mortgage. That way you are sort of getting paid to borrow..... sort of.

14 minutes ago, Locke said:

Once we start really start getting into this Maunder minimum, people are going to regret that we didn't give ourselves more of a CO2 blanket/plant food source.

The solar cycle has a close connection with the economic cycle. If we get crop shortages that will hike inflation. 

Not sure I agree with you CO2 blanket though. What do we do with all that CO2 when we get to the next solar high?

19 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

First rounds of QE pushed RPI to 5% if I recall? BoE didn't put IRs up to fight that, and I doubt they will if inflation goes over 2% this time. Could put an end to NIRP discussions though...

Don't forget that both cpi and rpi were changed in this period to "better reflect modern Britain".

A.k.a nobble the figures and bring them down.

If we are rising on the new metrics you can bet that it's much worse in reality. 

1 hour ago, adarmo said:

The solar cycle has a close connection with the economic cycle. If we get crop shortages that will hike inflation. 

Not sure I agree with you CO2 blanket though. What do we do with all that CO2 when we get to the next solar high?

If? We are already getting crop failures globally and the price of food is rising rapidly.

High CO2 is good for crop growth, so it will be good if there is more.

12 minutes ago, Locke said:

If? We are already getting crop failures globally and the price of food is rising rapidly.

High CO2 is good for crop growth, so it will be good if there is more.

Arable land area might reduce though if sea levels rise. Probably time the UK started employing some dutchman to look at the east coast.

Edited by debtlessmanc
13 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Arable land area might reduce though if sea levels rise. Probably time the UK started employing some dutchman to look at the east coast.

Or it might increase, if the vast swathes of permafrost in Siberia open up.

Besides, a reduction in arable land area would be offset with an increase in crop yields due to higher CO2 and higher temperatures.