House Price Crash Forum

The Populist Party U-Turns - A Complete List Of 8 Months Incompetence

14 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

What's that got to do with U-turns?

Best is getting things right in the first place.

Second best is getting things wrong but correcting them.

Worst is getting things wrong and sticking to it.

The people complaining about u-turns encourage moving from the middle to the worst. Tragically these people appear to regard the middle position as worse, as a bigger sign of "incompetence" than the one below it.

(of course there's a continuum, and overlaps, in reality).

As for how well they govern, a different situation than u-turns, and to be honest I've had a pretty dim opinion on how well anyone's governed for years so I've become too cynical to really bother putting much effort in to really condemning or lauding them. I've little faith left in governments or populations.

If all it takes to govern is to get things wrong the first time and do a U-turn when things get hot, hell, sign me up. 

The problem they have is the never seem to get anything right the first time, which leads to major questions over their competence. 

And besides, getting it wrong in the first instance, despite doing a U-turn, creates additional problems that then have to be addressed, not to mention the further problems they create while dragging their feet before committing to the eventual U-turn. 

This government are out of their depth and frankly, its embarrassing. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Postman said:

LOL. No. 

He follows public opinion because he more than often gets it wrong the first time and public pressure forces him to change tack. 

He and his government are nothing more than populists and nodding-dog yes men. 

I'm not sure he gets it wrong the majority of the time, more that those handful of issues that are wrong are corrected. As Riedquat says are you better off having a government that recognises an error and corrects it or one that ploughs on with the wrong decisions?

All politicians follow public opinion and in a democracy populist wins so I'm not entirely sure of your point there. 

But again if you strip out the Covid impacts nonsense what are the examples? Do you expect the government to be utterly flawless and make perfect decisions every time?

1 minute ago, Unmoderated said:

You're right, I distinctly recall him taking no position on Brexit until the results came in. 

He held a bilateral opinion until it became clear which one would benefit him most personally. 

Johnson is a duplicitous, lying scumba

1 minute ago, Postman said:

He held a bilateral opinion until it became clear which one would benefit him most personally. 

Johnson is a duplicitous, lying scumba

So the result of the referendum was clear to Boris before it was to everyone else and he got on the bus with Gove and Co?

Of course he's a liar, he's a journalist and a politician. 

Who is your favourite Conservative politician?

2 minutes ago, Unmoderated said:

So the result of the referendum was clear to Boris before it was to everyone else and he got on the bus with Gove and Co?

Of course he's a liar, he's a journalist and a politician. 

Who is your favourite Conservative politician?

None of them

1 minute ago, Postman said:

What's your favourite colour? 

Is it just that you hate Conservatives and would take any angle to criticise? My dad worked in the public sector for years and had a chip on his shoulder about them too (still does tbh, mention Maggie and he goes red in the face lol). 

I think the real issue with his government, and especially the last Labour government is that they both ramped housing, so I take an issue with that. However, off the back of Brexit I managed to buy my own place so I'm grateful for that referendum (got £54k off the asking price!!).

In answer to your question, any colour but commie red.

27 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Letting a halfwit elephant man like Cummings run anything was always going to end in tears.

And let's not start with Gove..........ffs.  The dregs of humanity would do a better job than this lot.

Interesting you think these people with astronomic IQs are halfwits? 

Gove is actually considered an intellectual heavyweight by those that work with him. 

Is it because you don't like the Tories?

2 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Those who work with Gove are one step from the swamp though. 

Gove being an 'intellectual heavyweight' around that lot is not really a badge of honor.

Not really a coherent response. Have you maybe got an argument with substance? I mean the man is clearly very intelligent compared to pretty much everyone. He is above average, as are most of the politicians of all colours. 

Cummings is about as far from a half wit as you can get. 

You may not like them but in the interests of debate I'd encourage you to articulate why in a constructed argument rather than just flinging meaningless insults since they don't really add much to the forum and don't do you any favours. 

3 minutes ago, Unmoderated said:

I mean the man is clearly very intelligent compared to pretty much everyone. He is above average, as are most of the politicians of all colours. 

Gove comes across as a sniveling idiot, as does Cummings and daft Boris.  They have no common sense or self respect and struggle with the basics of being a human being (this comes from having very poor genetics, as everyone can see).  It's not surprising that 2020 has been a total shambles with people like this in charge of anything.  Labour's no better, just in case you think I'm being biased. 

Another point I will make is that calling the current government 'Tory' is an insult to the party and as you know, most real Tories hate the b4st4rds more than anyone else.  ;)

I'm happy that the current lot get to 'own' 2020 and Brexit will be the next disaster for them to fail with in 2021.

6 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Gove comes across as a sniveling idiot, as does Cummings and daft Boris.  They have no common sense or self respect and struggle with the basics of being a human being (this comes from having very poor genetics, as everyone can see).  It's not surprising that 2020 has been a total shambles with people like this in charge of anything.  Labour's no better, just in case you think I'm being biased. 

Another point I will make is that calling the current government 'Tory' is an insult to the party and as you know, most real Tories hate the b4st4rds more than anyone else.  ;)

I'm happy that the current lot get to 'own' 2020 and Brexit will be the next disaster for them to fail with in 2021.

Haha,

Fair enough then :) 

1 hour ago, Unmoderated said:

Is it just that you hate Conservatives and would take any angle to criticise? My dad worked in the public sector for years and had a chip on his shoulder about them too (still does tbh, mention Maggie and he goes red in the face lol). 

I think the real issue with his government, and especially the last Labour government is that they both ramped housing, so I take an issue with that. However, off the back of Brexit I managed to buy my own place so I'm grateful for that referendum (got £54k off the asking price!!).

I loathe this government, but up until recently I was a life long Conservative supporter and donor. I gave my time to get Margaret Thatcher elected.

These are not Conservatives, they are populists and Benito Johnson is a proven liar. How can you trust this man?

32 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Talking about populists, another one bites the dust...

https://news.sky.com/story/steve-bannon-former-trump-adviser-in-custody-on-fraud-charge-over-mexico-wall-12053200

Steve Bannon: Former Trump adviser in custody on fraud charge over Mexico wall

Not for the first time, the legal profession look set to capitalise on current developments. Could make another set of best-selling books for John Grisham.

17 hours ago, Unmoderated said:

Thatcher started the housing crisis. We just had a deep early 90s recession that saw the initial boom go bust for a little bit.

The banking deregulation, the boom of buy to let,  and the continued death of social housing etc definitely happened on Labour's watch mind, but it was all coming in under the Tories (and we in fact supported it in the HoC as it was essentially a continuation of our policies).

I don't think I've seen a "commie red" government in this country since the 1960s. The 70s (which for some reason come up a lot) was essentially a decade of global oil crisis.

So yeah. I wouldn't worry. You haven't had a leftie threat in your lifetime, and probably never will. 

One of my Great Uncle's was a Tory PM, and my entire family is blue blood or blue rosette (usually both)! I'm an old fashioned pre-Thatcher Tory. There are lots of us!

Edited by byron78
15 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

Not for the first time, the legal profession look set to capitalise on current developments. Could make another set of best-selling books for John Grisham.

Never a bad day when a fascist is collared by plod. Close associates of Bannon's like Mr Thirsty Nigel Farage and the alleged Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson might be having a few regrets, however.

Filthy skidmarks all.

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/08/steve-bannon-charged-with-fraud.html

This looks bad for Bannon. But it is equally bad for those who were his associates, those who palled up to him. In the UK that means two figures out there on the right, the most obvious being Brexit Party Oberscheissenführer Nigel “Thirsty” Farage, who, as I noted back in 2017, was getting advice from Bannon on his World4Brexit fundraising initiative.

And while Bannon ranted “****** you. Don't you ******ing say you're calling me out. You ******ing liberal elite. Tommy Robinson is the backbone of this country” at Theo Usherwood of LBC, former Screws and Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan was giving Bannon a noticeably less hard time than his Good Morning Britain co-host Susanna Reid. Who was also denounced as part of the “liberal elite”, but without the swearing.

But the politician who may now have cause for concern is alleged Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson. For him, the charge sheet looks grim, starting with Bannon claiming to have been in contact with Bozo, by phone and also text message, the month before the infamous Telegraph column where he described Muslim woman wearing the burqa as looking like “letter boxes” and “bank robbers”.

Then, just after Bozo had his famous domestic with partner Carrie Symonds at her south London flat, the Observer revealed video evidence which showed “Bannon, who helped mastermind Trump’s successful bid for the presidency but was later exiled from the White House, talking about his relationship and contacts with Johnson, and how he helped him craft the first speech after his resignation as foreign secretary”.