House Price Crash Forum

Will you take the vaccine when it's available?

On 17/08/2020 at 23:21, Trampa501 said:

Good answer - but what will convince you that it's safe?

Good question.

Who do you trust? Your own nation's government? (New Zealand) An allied nation's government? (Australia) A neutral nation's government? (Switzerland or Denmark) A non-friendly nation's government? (Turkey or Russia?) An un-affiliated medical blogger who is not in the pockets of the pharmaceutical giants? 

Indeed. Who to choose? I'll go with my own nation, since I can rely on them for welfare if the vacine turns out to have side effects. On the other hand, I despise the NZ Labour government (elitist trust-fund babies that most of them are). 

I don't think that there will be an effective vacine. After all, you can't vacinate against the common cold.

Edited by Odakyu-sen
On 20/08/2020 at 06:35, Odakyu-sen said:

I don't think that there will be an effective vacine. After all, you can't vacinate against the common cold.

What's the common cold got to do with it? There are a large number of different viruses that cause colds, there isn't really the common cold. Vaccinating against one of them might be possible but colds aren't serious and there's still a high chance of catching a different one so it's not really worth the effort trying to develop a vaccine (and pumping you full of vaccines for every single one might not be a good idea).

I heard that there has been the first recorded re-infection of Covid, albeit with a mutated strain, Covid-20? It looks like we will be going down the same route as the flu jab, safeguarding against the most common version of last years flu mutations.

Will there be mass-inoculations? I doubt it. Probably we'll go down the same route as the flu jab, targeting the vulnerable and letting the rest of us get on with it.

In answer to the op, probably wouldn't take it this year, but would give it serious thought going forward.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/shaunlintern/these-nhs-staff-were-told-the-swine-flu-vaccine-was-safe

"But it made no mention of the fact the European Medicines Agency had licensed Pandemrix under “exceptional circumstances” based on “mock vaccines” that did not include the actual ingredients that would eventually be injected into people. The EMA confirmed this approach was “unique to pandemic preparedness vaccines”.

On 25/08/2020 at 10:59, AThirdWay said:

In answer to the op, probably wouldn't take it this year, but would give it serious thought going forward.

Please do! We need morons that believe everything they are told by the experts as a sort of "Food taster".

Although Bill and Mel have said they want to give it to healthcare workers and black people first how very nice of them, I mean wow they are so altruistic and caring.

Maybe you can do them a favour and Jump the queue?

12 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

Please do! We need morons that believe everything they are told by the experts as a sort of "Food taster".

You're welcome 😉

I await your entry into the Darwin Awards with bated breath!

8 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

You're welcome 😉

I await your entry into the Darwin Awards with bated breath!

In that case, don't let your candle use up too much oxygen inside the cupboard under your stairs.

On 20/08/2020 at 06:35, Odakyu-sen said:

you can't vacinate against the common cold.

You probably could vaccinate against the common cold, the problem is that most colds are caused by rhinoviruses and there are about 200 immunologically distinct strains of rhinovirus circulating in the human population. Vaccinating against 200 different viruses simultaneously is technically challenging as you probably have to manufacture and test 200 different proteins, even the most multivalent of current vaccines only go up to single digit viruses (e.g. the latest version of Gardasil vaccinates against 9 papillomavirus strains). I think there probably will be a 200-valent rhinovirus vaccine one day but it will take some biotechnological effort to get there.

• 2 weeks later...