House Price Crash Forum

Homelessness guru Tim Heatley can’t help building for Manchester’s rich + BBC £billion Flats Manc Doc

HOLA441
3 hours ago, captainb said:

Back in the real world, London in 2019 had a higher net contribution that ever before, more than pre 08. 12% of the population, 24% of the economy. 

Maybe the "natives" need to up their game, can't rely on the genoristy of others forever. 

Manchester (and other northern cities) have massive universities and student populations.  They have proud history of scientific advancement.

When the cream of the crop graduate, they have to move south to get employment in their field.  This can't be right.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
27 minutes ago, kzb said:

Manchester (and other northern cities) have massive universities and student populations.  They have proud history of scientific advancement.

When the cream of the crop graduate, they have to move south to get employment in their field.  This can't be right.

Usually, although there are exceptions. I work in a high tech job in Stockport (as hypocritical as that might sound coming from me :) )

HOLA443
On 27/08/2020 at 17:48, cnick said:

agreed......should have asked to see the test results and structural calcs....... immediately, as in, I'll pop round later to grab a copy....... then ask what load, approximately, the beams are expected to take.... then request a test on one of the beams to confirm...... still why worry....it's only another £1,000,000....

I was wondering that too,  in terms of floor loading I'd guess any previous industrial or warehouse application would be well above that of any domestic use.

Shocking how he had been blanking the customers about this known major delay until the meeting day when he finally drops the bombshell, that he'd skimped on a survey, despite punters already having made arrangements to move in. That could have been handled a lot better.

HOLA444
HOLA445

The squat in Eccles was cleared out in Summer 2019, so it's filmed before then. 

A lot of the residents of the squat later moved to a pub over the road that was empty while being refurbished. The pub is opposite a war memorial and the squatters set off fireworks during the 11th November minutes silence

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/remembrance-sunday-service-ruined-complete-17232204

HOLA446

Legal & General acquires the other  Manchester Build to Rent North tower.

Article in feb 20 said 72% were let in the West Tower in the doc.

At the end the mayor of Salford getting all excited about building 8 'affordable' homes.

Is that the best they could  do for a bbc doc, hardly worth mentioning, given the scale of the problem .

Shows how desperate they were .. before covid  

Massive 3,000 bedspaces Co-living plannins applications still going in 

Manchester co-living schemes return for decision 20 Aug 2020,

Having failed to win consent last month, two co-living schemes from developers Vita Group and Downing totalling more than 3,000 bedspaces, have been lined up for approval next week.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/manchester-co-living-schemes-return-for-decision/

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Last episode just starting now 

Series 1: Episode 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbctwo

£350k for an 800 sq ft flat , 6 months behind schedule, old mill madness 

His new big property idea is flats and terraces in the suburbs for hipsters when they get older. 

His solution to everything seems to be closer living in shared ‘communities’ with likeminded people, except for his own house which is a detached glass box with no neighbours and not overlooked by anyone. 

HOLA449

As a 32 year old it was certainly hard to feel much sympathy for the old birds complaining about losing the house they've lived in for free for the past 50 years. 

Good luck to that guy though, if he can convince mugs to buy those flats for £350k he's done well. That development in Rochdale will take some flogging as well. 

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, cbathpc said:

Good luck to that guy though, if he can convince mugs to buy those flats for £350k he's done well. That development in Rochdale will take some flogging as well. 

I remember being sent promo marketing for Crusader Mill. Apart from being overpriced, the thing that put me off was the list of restrictive covenants that, whilst not unreasonable in themselves, I knew would be weaponised by busybody leaseholders later on and bind future purchasers. 

To the programme's credit they did show the form of these covenants that the leaseholders need to sign: covering rules around letting out, noise, staying over, etc. The developer was very naive about the whole thing. It's to build a community, social cohesion, etc. Back in the real world, these covenants will make the apartments very tricky to resell later on. 

HOLA4411
On 28/08/2020 at 08:24, cbathpc said:

London funding other parts of the country is akin to reparations. It had all the investment for years and grew on the back of it, now its time for it to give back. 

But the have been getting it back, around £18bn a year.

Going forward it's not clear there will be anything to give back.

There is no chance at all of levelling anything up.

Levelling down is now looking like a certainty, but with much more going down than levelling.   

HOLA4412
5 hours ago, sammersmith said:

I remember being sent promo marketing for Crusader Mill. Apart from being overpriced, the thing that put me off was the list of restrictive covenants that, whilst not unreasonable in themselves, I knew would be weaponised by busybody leaseholders later on and bind future purchasers. 

To the programme's credit they did show the form of these covenants that the leaseholders need to sign: covering rules around letting out, noise, staying over, etc. The developer was very naive about the whole thing. It's to build a community, social cohesion, etc. Back in the real world, these covenants will make the apartments very tricky to resell later on. 

Maybe 20 yrs ago they would, but today they may well be an sale incentive. Lots of buyers don't want to live is a block that may one day turn into BTL central. 

HOLA4413
35 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Maybe 20 yrs ago they would, but today they may well be an sale incentive. Lots of buyers don't want to live is a block that may one day turn into BTL central. 

Oh yes, don't get me wrong i can personally see the appeal of only allowing owner occupiers. However if this restriction is applied to this block alone (with all other blocks in Manc not caring) then it will put a lot of resale buyers off.

As sad as it may be, most of the FTBs i've met view their first flat as somewhere to live for 3-5 years and then keep hold of it as a rental side hustle when they later move out to Didsbury. This is their life plan. They are young, naive, and don't remember 2008 so believe property is a one-way bet. 

HOLA4414
On 16/08/2020 at 12:04, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Homelessness guru Tim Heatley can’t help building for Manchester’s rich

A charity chief is one of several developers side-stepping policies to encourage affordable housing in the city

A 'Labour stronghold' huh? If any city sums up how disastrous the Lib Dem coalition was to local government it's Manchester. In 2010 the Lib Dems had almost a third of the seats, then four years later every one of the 96 seats is Labour.

Edited by spacedin

HOLA4415
On 09/09/2020 at 08:07, cbathpc said:

As a 32 year old it was certainly hard to feel much sympathy for the old birds complaining about losing the house they've lived in for free for the past 50 years. 

For free?  How come?

Also, when those old birds die and those houses in Collyhurst come on the market, they will be "affordable" (£125k).  Will you get one of the proposed new builds for that?

HOLA4416
On 01/09/2020 at 21:11, hughjass said:

New episode started, its comedy gold obviously filmed before Covid. 

That luxury penthouse,  £8.5k/month rent, was being fitted out for a woman with a beauty treatment business?

Wonder what happened there?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418