Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Homelessness guru Tim Heatley can’t help building for Manchester’s rich + BBC £billion Flats Manc Doc


Recommended Posts

Homelessness guru Tim Heatley can’t help building for Manchester’s rich

A charity chief is one of several developers side-stepping policies to encourage affordable housing in the city

 

Quote

In Manchester one property developer rises above the rest when it comes to helping the homeless and regenerating the booming city centre.

Tim Heatley, co-founder of Capital & Centric, is investing half a billion pounds to build plush apartments and a hotel as part of the city’s property boom. A well-known figure, Heatley chairs the Greater Manchester Mayor’s Charity, set up by Andy Burnham, the mayor, which has raised £2m for charities tackling homelessness. Despite this good work, however, an investigation has revealed that Heatley’s company has big developments that provide no affordable housing — a trend that is becoming common.

Manchester, a Labour stronghold, is in the grip of a housing crisis, according to MPs, housing associations, homeless charities and campaigners. More than 15,000.........

 

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Homelessness guru Tim Heatley can’t help building for Manchester’s rich

A charity chief is one of several developers side-stepping policies to encourage affordable housing in the city

 

 

Head up to BBC documentary tuesday https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000lwn5

"Manctopia: Billion Pound Property Boom"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking forward to this, the way things are going a lot of people could end up with egg on their face. Are people going to be wanting o live in these glorified rabbit hutches with Covid with us for a long while. 

These lot will be the next after a bailout.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hughjass said:

I am looking forward to this, the way things are going a lot of people could end up with egg on their face. Are people going to be wanting o live in these glorified rabbit hutches with Covid with us for a long while. 

These lot will be the next after a bailout.

Check the Grenfell style panels of cladding

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2020 at 13:54, debtlessmanc said:

Bump, as doc is on tonight 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000lwn5

also.. trailer / clip

Housing crisis: Fighting to survive the property boom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-53606677

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RomfordDon said:

Makes you think flats built only for renting never to be sold. How does the model work?

Dunno, stepson (doctor) went to see about one of the new flats in Deansgate square, was told only cash and that the buyers were mostly overseas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is mainly chinese and some russian money that sees it as better value than London to invest. Nobody from the Northwest with money would dream of buying  residential in Manchester city centre, hence ridiculous prices in places like Heaton Moore. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The tax the government collects from private rentals is where they see the benefits are from a private housing market.

Why build and rent out social housing, along with all the maintenance costs that then follow forever more, when they can simply allow the private landlord to charge high rents and collect the tax, free from any on going costly commitments.

A private block of Chinese owned flats, let out at an unchallenged and costly amount, earns as much tax than if it were social housing rental fees, without a single commitment incurred.

This is not a government looking after the housing interests of the people, it's a corporation looking after like minded individuals and their own investment vehicles.

The whole thing is one giant government backed ponzi scheme, that those who are left behind are now footing the bill to maintain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Blink said:

Why build and rent out social housing, along with all the maintenance costs that then follow forever more, when they can simply allow the private landlord to charge high rents and collect the tax, free from any on going costly commitments.

But how many of the tenants are claiming housing benefits?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nothernsoul said:

It is mainly chinese and some russian money that sees it as better value than London to invest. Nobody from the Northwest with money would dream of buying  residential in Manchester city centre, hence ridiculous prices in places like Heaton Moore. 

Words you thought you would never live to hear:

"Salford is getting sooo desirable"....

The programme was one big advert.  They are creating a second ponzi city like London.  I mean, when people see blow jobs for £4.99 they will be queuing.  Would you say here's a fiver keep the change?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kzb said:

Words you thought you would never live to hear:

"Salford is getting sooo desirable"....

The programme was one big advert.  They are creating a second ponzi city like London.  I mean, when people see blow jobs for £4.99 they will be queuing.  Would you say here's a fiver keep the change?

Snake oil sales men

And you wonder why they are backing hs2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally make a lasting first impression when I arrive at an airport into a city.  Manchester’s first impression, to me, are a depressing 5h1t hole and that continues as you make your way to the train and beyond.  I’m from the north and would love it to be a success , northern powerhouse ect... It really needs billions spending on it, starting with infrastructure.  These nubsacks have skipped that bit and jumped to the millionaires flats.  It’s pure comedy.

Why anyone in their right mind would want to spend a million there begs begs belief.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 417 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.