House Price Crash Forum

A property wealth tax is the only fair way to pay for the Covid-19 crisis

On 8/16/2020 at 9:26 PM, MARTINX9 said:

It’s amazing how the Uber wealthy cope with paying tens if not hundreds of thousands a year in property tax on their mega mansions in California, Manhattan or Paris but it would be the end of the world if they were forced to pay more than £1600 a year (the Band H council tax in Westminster) on their Knightsbridge and Belgravia mansions.

And of course it’s only £1200 for a bachelor oligarch ones he gets his single person discount!

It was you I was thinking of Martin. You make a persuasive case.I wonder what the counter argument is ?? 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/08/2020 at 18:27, Simhadri said:

Says a stock market parasite who leeches off hard work of employees and makes money without moving his @$$?

Some friends of mine and I had savings which weren't earning a lot of return. Someone we know wanted to start a business producing widgets that would help the local famers become more sustainable. We all pooled our money, signed a contract with him and he pays us a yearly return based on the profitability of this business. The local farmers are happy, our friend is happy and we're all happy. No-one has been excluded from anything because he produced a business where there was none using our capital.

What he didn't do was take our capital and outbid us on homes we were trying to buy so that he could rent them back to us.

Please could you stop your nonsense arguments.

3 hours ago, richmondtw said:

Buit uit is sadly true very often.

There are plenty of people out there who have far more money than I do.  A bigger house than I have.  A more expensive car than I have.  A yacht. A private plane.  Why would I care.

Good luck to them.

I am happy with what I have and my family I do not care if others have more wealth than I d.  I feel no envy whatsoever.

As long as I and my family and friends are healthy I am happy.  

@richmondtw I won't respond for the other posters, but deal with your comments related only to me and would ask that you please look at the context of the comments I was responding to.

I am not jealous, I have no need to be, I have done well out of capitalism and look likely to continue to do so. I am however concerned that a swathe of society has been materially disadvantaged and calling out those people as jealous rather misses the point. 

3 hours ago, richmondtw said:

1 - I do not see anyone laughing at anyone who cannot afford to buy a house.

2 - It is the younger people who love mass uncontrolled immigration and who have no concept of the idea of supply and demand.  They seem unable to understand that every action has a consequence.  

3 - Ranting that some people are bad people because they have been able to afford to buy a house is indeed jealousy.

4 - I won my own house - should I feel guilty about that. I do not I worked hard for it.  ( I am 32).

Again please look at the context of the comment responded to, which was mocking the very people who have been disadvantaged which is at best unpleasant.

As for ranting, I am not sure what you are referring to, perhaps the comments I was responding to?

As to owning your own home, congratulations, and no you shouldn't feel guilty for doing so, again please check original comment.

For clarity I intend to buy as soon as this market looks like it makes sense. At that stage I of course won't be a home owner, as I will have a modest mortgage and as such it will be the bank that owns my home until I pay off the remainder of my debt.

3 hours ago, dugsbody said:

Some friends of mine and I had savings which weren't earning a lot of return. Someone we know wanted to start a business producing widgets that would help the local famers become more sustainable. We all pooled our money, signed a contract with him and he pays us a yearly return based on the profitability of this business. The local farmers are happy, our friend is happy and we're all happy. No-one has been excluded from anything because he produced a business where there was none using our capital.

What he didn't do was take our capital and outbid us on homes we were trying to buy so that he could rent them back to us.

Please could you stop your nonsense arguments.

What if you don't get your money back ? You take it positively and move on ? 

Everybody can't risk their savings for some start up which may or may not succeed.

Same applies in houses, there are people who lost money.

5 hours ago, richmondtw said:

There are plenty of people out there who have far more money than I do.  A bigger house than I have.  A more expensive car than I have.  A yacht. A private plane.  Why would I care.

Good luck to them.

I am happy with what I have and my family I do not care if others have more wealth than I d.  I feel no envy whatsoever.

As long as I and my family and friends are healthy I am happy.  

Unfortunately that's not how most people think.

For them, if they can't plan, save, invest, they want others who do so to fail.

It gives them immense psychic sadistic pleasure to see somebody else to fail.

They call that mindset PROGRESSIVE :)

Fortunately UK voters know very well this mindset and dump such parties in every election until those parties eat their humble pie.

20 hours ago, mrphil said:

A large proportion of the working public are on 2007 wages in 2020, so not sure I see the issue?

Oh yeah, why not have 2007 share prices from stock market in 2020 so that people can buy shares in 2020 for 2007 prices.

Say Tesla is $1835 now, but please make it $40 so that many progressive people will buy those shares at $40. Eh ? like that ?