House Price Crash Forum

You Must Wear A Useless Facemask Or Be Fined £3,200

Social Justice League

49 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Presumably their fan base loves that sort of thing and it grows their reputation for being anti-establishment? 

eg I’d never heard of Delingpole until he got ‘cancelled’. Now he earns plenty as a right wing voice. 

YT algorithms love this stuff. Start watching Pingu and a day later you’re on QAnon Pizzagate truthers.

#nootnoot

No, the numbers show that many YT viewers do not follow their erstwhile favorites down the YT algorithm demotions. The 'make it harder to find' censorship is quite effective, which is presumably why YT increasingly practices it.

Many alternative commentators/ publishers that I have come across consistently complain of unwarranted demotion etc. by the YT ranking algorithms - which most certainly do not 'love this stuff', in fact quite the contrary.

My perception is that we have a very serious and growing censorship/free speech/freedom of expression crisis in our society.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/14/2020 at 5:56 AM, The Preacherman said:

It will be covid panic rather than waves. Covid-19 is flushed in the UK that what the stats show. 

The one thing our government is genuinely world class at is spreading panic. Johnson does not offer statesmanship and good governance, he just delivers cheap populist knee jerk initatives. 

It is only flushed if herd immunity has been reached. Otherwise we could easily find ourselves in the same situation as late March. Given the results of randomised testing in other countries and scaling roughly for the UK death rate per capita then estimates are that 10-15% of the UK population have had it. Assuming they are still immune (and this is not clear) that is a long way from the estimated 70% for herd immunity. So in no way can COVID-19 in the UK be considered 'flushed' in a long-term sense.

On 8/14/2020 at 2:45 PM, Bruce Banner said:

COVID is a godsend for authoritarian governments. The more the people become accustomed to being controlled, the more they will accept it as the norm. I'm thankful that I was born in the 1950s rather than the 2000s.

But the enabling laws that are being used could have applied to any similar pandemic and had there been a bad measles pandemic or polio pandemic in the 1960s the same options would have applied.

Face masks haven't stopped this outbreak at a Tesco hypermarket in Swindon. 

Coronavirus: Outbreak among staff at Tesco Extra supermarket in Swindon

The cluster of cases comes days after around 51 workers at an Iceland warehouse tested positive for the virus in the town.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-outbreak-among-staff-at-tesco-extra-supermarket-in-swindon-12046356

1 hour ago, The Preacherman said:

The cluster of cases comes days after around 51 workers at an Iceland warehouse tested positive for the virus in the town.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-outbreak-among-staff-at-tesco-extra-supermarket-in-swindon-12046356

But quite probably prevented it from being far worse

15 hours ago, NobodyInParticular said:

But the enabling laws that are being used could have applied to any similar pandemic and had there been a bad measles pandemic or polio pandemic in the 1960s the same options would have applied.

Quite. Most of us have now seen articles about the laws that were temporarily introduced during Spanish flu, including laws about face masks and fines for non-compliance.  

The flu eventually died out and the temporary authoritarian rules died with them. 

On 14/08/2020 at 23:46, The Spaniard said:

Dave Cullen on what we all might have to look forward to in the near future.

Probably most here on HPC will dismiss DC as a deranged conspiracy theorist, but I wonder what they might be thinking in a year or two.

16 August 2021 - I'll still be here so look forward to your update. 

1 hour ago, Ah-so said:

16 August 2021 - I'll still be here so look forward to your update. 

If it turns out that you are correct to dismiss DC and his ilk then no-one would be more pleased than I.

However, I lack the sense of certainty that many others seem to have and I like to consider various possible scenarios until reality becomes less ambiguous.

Time will tell.

43 minutes ago, The Spaniard said:

If it turns out that you are correct to dismiss DC and his ilk then no-one would be more pleased than I.

However, I lack the sense of certainty that many others seem to have and I like to consider various possible scenarios until reality becomes less ambiguous.

Time will tell.

Reality will always be ambiguous, but that doesn't mean that we need to give credibility to various conspiracy theories. But if something has happened by 16 August 2021, or 2022, then we'll know for sure 

But it won't put the whole thing to bed, because there'll be another conspiracy theory, probably just a rehash of this one, that is just about to be revealed. 

On 14/08/2020 at 10:43, zugzwang said:

Wrap everything up in cotton wool society.

Who needs rules and regulations?

Grenfell-tower-2.jpg

There *were* rules & regs here......?

Better(?) to make those, who caused harm and / or loss, pay....... and not just a token slap on wrist...... they pay to the point of bankruptcy / ruination ...pour discourager les autres ?

13 minutes ago, cnick said:

There *were* rules & regs here......?

Better(?) to make those, who caused harm and / or loss, pay....... and not just a token slap on wrist...... they pay to the point of bankruptcy / ruination ...pour discourager les autres ?

That was true of Grenfell and it was also true of the financial crisis. The rules and regulations are often there but the will to enforce is missing. 

4 hours ago, Ah-so said:

Reality will always be ambiguous, but that doesn't mean that we need to give credibility to various conspiracy theories. But if something has happened by 16 August 2021, or 2022, then we'll know for sure 

But it won't put the whole thing to bed, because there'll be another conspiracy theory, probably just a rehash of this one, that is just about to be revealed. 

It's like hyperinflation which has been definitely just about to happen for at least 15 years.

2 hours ago, cnick said:

....yes, or do you want to be one of those paid a very nice income 'protecting' someone else from the big bad scary world?

I've seen how that pans out on many dramas and it seems to be likely to shorten your lifespan significantly. Although I do think learning how to (a) duck, (b) shoot and (c) run away would help.

On 15/08/2020 at 16:35, The Spaniard said:

No, the numbers show that many YT viewers do not follow their erstwhile favorites down the YT algorithm demotions. The 'make it harder to find' censorship is quite effective, which is presumably why YT increasingly practices it.

Many alternative commentators/ publishers that I have come across consistently complain of unwarranted demotion etc. by the YT ranking algorithms - which most certainly do not 'love this stuff', in fact quite the contrary.

My perception is that we have a very serious and growing censorship/free speech/freedom of expression crisis in our society.

imma need to see some facts backing up that assertion pardner. 

Literally in the news today

86EBABFD-282E-4C0D-954E-32AA1AF53615.thumb.jpeg.0a0618a5cd31c603d69b7aa31a98ef54.jpeg

You read Spiked? Here’s a recent real censorship story, but no one btl gives a hoot. 

I maintain the importance of consuming a wide spectrum of sources of news and information, breaking out of echo chambers and not placing great faith in extremist viewpoints.

One of the reasons I come back here is because of the diversity of viewpoints. For a HPC site it has a surprisingly even amount of bulls/bears, landlords and tenants, loonies and trolls, old and young, left and right, and a range of educational attainments and jobs.

43 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

imma need to see some facts backing up that assertion pardner. 

Literally in the news today

86EBABFD-282E-4C0D-954E-32AA1AF53615.thumb.jpeg.0a0618a5cd31c603d69b7aa31a98ef54.jpeg

You read Spiked? Here’s a recent real censorship story, but no one btl gives a hoot. 

I maintain the importance of consuming a wide spectrum of sources of news and information, breaking out of echo chambers and not placing great faith in extremist viewpoints.

One of the reasons I come back here is because of the diversity of viewpoints. For a HPC site it has a surprisingly even amount of bulls/bears, landlords and tenants, loonies and trolls, old and young, left and right, and a range of educational attainments and jobs.

This seems especially true on topics that aren't HPC related too.

Often the comments below an online news article are far more thought provoking than the actual article itself although often buried amongst dross and the publisher allows them.

11 hours ago, The Preacherman said:

You can’t say that as fact. Many covidiots are still going into supermarkets unmasked. 

14 hours ago, Ah-so said:

Quite. Most of us have now seen articles about the laws that were temporarily introduced during Spanish flu, including laws about face masks and fines for non-compliance.  

The flu eventually died out and the temporary authoritarian rules died with them. 

There seems to be rather more tolerance for being told what to do all the time these days. I really can't imagine that all sorts of things now regarded as the norm would've been remotely tolerated then.