House Price Crash Forum

You Must Wear A Useless Facemask Or Be Fined £3,200

Social Justice League

2 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

COVID is a godsend for authoritarian governments. The more the people become accustomed to being controlled, the more they will accept it as the norm. I'm thankful that I was born in the 1950s rather than the 2000s.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

COVID is a godsend for authoritarian governments. The more the people become accustomed to being controlled, the more they will accept it as the norm. I'm thankful that I was born in the 1950s rather than the 2000s.

In general I prefer individual freedom to state power in most cases. When faced with a lethal pandemic, though, the rules change. If, for example, forced quarantines are needed then so be it.

That said I really don't feel that the corona virus is anywhee near serious enough for the response. When it first appeared it looked much worse than it now appears to be, so the initial over reaction is forgiveable. At this point, though, I think it's time to lighten up a bit.

11 hours ago, qejunkie said:

I'm mid 30s - have been voluntarily getting a flu shot for the last 15 years or so. I'm not planing on getting a CV-19 shot for a few years. 

My body, my choice. 

Why not?

covid can have quite nasty and long lasting side effects - surely worth taking a well tested vaccine to prevent?

9 hours ago, satsuma said:

It never fails to surprise me as to how fractured UK society is and how much the government is hated, god forbid there is ever a war as no one can get behind anything and make it work 

The people who hate the government make loud noises.

The people who like the government, or who are indifferent, are quiet.  Remember that when trying to assess the true level of “hate”.

14 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

The people who hate the government make loud noises.

The people who like the government, or who are indifferent, are quiet.  Remember that when trying to assess the true level of “hate”.

Whilst there's certainly an element of that it's also rather too easy to dismiss any signs of dislike about anything with "they're the vocal minority."

2 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Whilst there's certainly an element of that it's also rather too easy to dismiss any signs of dislike about anything with "they're the vocal minority."

True in general - however we do have the actual data in this particular case the current government won a landslide victory (not just a victory, a landslide) only 9 months ago.

Given this, how many people as of today truly "hate" the government is my point?

It's a strong word, and given how many people voted for the government or are sufficiently uninterested in politics to have an opinion my sense is that those who truly "hate" the government are indeed both vocal and a minority.

4 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Right, because people in one case had the temerity to want to decide who actually has authority, and in the other because the alternatives looked even worse (people vote against, rarely for).

It would be better if we could actually vote against parties. Counting those as a negative vote.

EDIT:

Not that it would actually change anything, but it might make for some light hearted entertainment as we find out who the least popular MP was. That has got to be worth something. It might even make some parties realise they have very limited support and force them to change outlook.

Edited by Chunketh
added point

1 hour ago, Chunketh said:

It would be better if we could actually vote against parties. Counting those as a negative vote.

Democracy is done. It was a dumb idea in the first place, and 2020 has just been demonstrating exactly how dumb it can be, with masses of people now begging incompetent governments to muzzle them.

Democracy always collapses into into dictatorship, because the problems it creates can't be fixed democratically. Then people demand a dictator to fix them.

We're at that point right about now.

4 hours ago, MarkG said:

1. Democracy is done. 2. It was a dumb idea in the first place, 3. and 2020 has just been demonstrating exactly how dumb it can be, 4. with masses of people now begging incompetent governments to muzzle them.

5. Democracy always collapses into into dictatorship, 6. because the problems it creates can't be fixed democratically. 7. Then people demand a dictator to fix them.

8. We're at that point right about now.

1. No, it isn't

2. No, it wasn't

3. No, it doesn't

4. No, they're not

5. No, it doesn't

6. Yes, they can

7. No, they don't

8. No, we're not

I find it hilarious that when people lose a vote they then question democracy.

If the only news you watch is C4, the only paper you read is the Guardian, and James O'Brien is your preferred broadcaster, your view of the world is going to be warped beyond all reality.

But hey, you'll feel all fuzzy and warm, knowing you want to feed the starving, hug the homeless, and sponsor disabled donkeys in the Himalayas. 

These are the kind of people that were hunted as food in the days of cavemen. 

33 minutes ago, Blink said:

I find it hilarious that when people lose a vote they then question democracy.

If the only news you watch is C4, the only paper you read is the Guardian, and James O'Brien is your preferred broadcaster, your view of the world is going to be warped beyond all reality.

But hey, you'll feel all fuzzy and warm, knowing you want to feed the starving, hug the homeless, and sponsor disabled donkeys in the Himalayas. 

These are the kind of people that were hunted as food in the days of cavemen. 

Come to think of it, huggy, this government has been a unifying force. It is the first government in living memory that has unified lifelong Tory supporters and lifelong Labour supporters in hatred of it. Quite an achievement, and goes to show that "The big lie" still works in the age of the Internet.

1 hour ago, Blink said:

I watch channel 4 news 3 days in 5. Just to know what the globalists want us to think. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Come to think of it, huggy, this government has been a unifying force. It is the first government in living memory that has unified lifelong Tory supporters and lifelong Labour supporters in hatred of it. Quite an achievement, and goes to show that "The big lie" still works in the age of the Internet.

It is a unifying force. It took traditional labour voters and for the first time ever they voted conservative. You may hate this government but there are many right behind Boris.

2 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Nothing to do with me guv! Although Blink's statements could have come from my fingers and I approve of the post.

2 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

It is a unifying force. It took traditional labour voters and for the first time ever they voted conservative. You may hate this government but there are many right behind Boris.

9 hours ago, MarkG said:

Democracy is done. It was a dumb idea in the first place, and 2020 has just been demonstrating exactly how dumb it can be, with masses of people now begging incompetent governments to muzzle them.

Democracy always collapses into into dictatorship, because the problems it creates can't be fixed democratically. Then people demand a dictator to fix them.

We're at that point right about now.

The Men in the Sandwich Boards are back on HPC right now.

Their fearful doomsday prognoses spread all over the forum like a witchdoctor's poultice.

IK4MJI5EVBBNBAUJ7KCXDHPEEA.jpg

15 hours ago, The Spaniard said:

Dave Cullen on what we all might have to look forward to in the near future.

Probably most here on HPC will dismiss DC as a deranged conspiracy theorist, but I wonder what they might be thinking in a year or two.

Never heard of him. How much does he earn from YT ad revenue and click throughs? Conspiracy is big business and competitive. You need to keep pushing the boundaries to retain and grow your views and subs. 

6 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Never heard of him. How much does he earn from YT ad revenue and click throughs? Conspiracy is big business and competitive. You need to keep pushing the boundaries to retain and grow your views and subs. 

Money grubber or well-intentioned citizen journalist?

How might we decide?

Fact checking the content of his videos is arguably a good start.

BTW I am not sure that conspiracy is such a great business - many controversial publishers are kicked off YouTube, shadow banned, demonetized etc ...   Censorship is rampant.

1 minute ago, The Spaniard said:

Money grubber or well-intentioned citizen journalist?

How might we decide?

Fact checking the content of his videos is arguably a good start.

BTW I am not sure that conspiracy is such a great business - many controversial publishers are kicked off YouTube, shadow banned, demonetized etc ...   Censorship is rampant.

Presumably their fan base loves that sort of thing and it grows their reputation for being anti-establishment? 

eg I’d never heard of Delingpole until he got ‘cancelled’. Now he earns plenty as a right wing voice. 

YT algorithms love this stuff. Start watching Pingu and a day later you’re on QAnon Pizzagate truthers.

#nootnoot