House Price Crash Forum

You Must Wear A Useless Facemask Or Be Fined £3,200

Social Justice League

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, HovelinHove said:

Actually, I agree with you on the staying home when you are symptomatic. I detest it when people come to work with colds and flu like martyrs but all they do is give to everyone else. I don’t think we should wear masks in flu season unless we have flu, in which case we should stay indoors tucked in bed till it has gone. So I do kind of agree with you. 

Well I kinda always wear a mask in Flu season anyway, because I always get the shot. I know its not 100% effective but having had flu once, it sucks and paying a few quid to get the shot always seemed a sensible choice.

Then again, if there is a vaccination for anything on offer, I take it.

4 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

I guess. The problem is its not about personal choice when another party has killed someone in an accident and that the death could have been avoided with either a seat belt or a crash helmet.

What about that persons freedom of choice? They have to live with it for the rest of their days.

How can wearing a crash helmet prevent the death, or injury, of someone else?

2 minutes ago, Locke said:

Ok, but where does it end? Why not restrict the speed limit to 20 everywhere? That would save thousands of lives in the UK every year and millions worldwide.

Life is full of risk. You cannot micromanage other people's lives like an overbearing mother.

Quite.

Sensible precautions like a seat belt or crash helmet dont seem overbearing to me though. Its just common sense to use them. It's a cost risk analysis.

The same goes for wearing a mask, they are cheap, easy to use and effective in stopping community spread. Seems like a no brainer to me. I agree we shouldn't have to mandate it, people should just be doing it, but there is always a small minority, the me me me crew that screw it up.

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

To be honest I've been surprised how complaint the general population have been throughout this whole thing. Pretty much everyone I've seen in shops in the last week have been wearing masks, bar a couple of builders in B&Q but that was first thing in the morning and the shop was empty anyway.

Mainly shouty Boomer Brexit Gammon types frightened of being roasted by the virus.

Personally, I think the young have an incentive to spread COVID and wipe the Gammon out.

5 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

You misunderstand me.

If you have an accident with someone not wearing a seatbelt and that person dies a preventable death...thats where I am going with it.

That's a bit like saying flu vaccinations should be compulsory, rather than recommended, for over 60s in case you pass it on to them, they die, and you spend the rest of your life regretting it.

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

To be honest I've been surprised how complaint the general population have been throughout this whole thing. Pretty much everyone I've seen in shops in the last week have been wearing masks,

Must confess I am not convinced that a mask makes much difference but I cannot be bothered to make an issue of it - it is not a big deal to me 

58 minutes ago, The Preacherman said:

All this nonsense is still being cheered on by gammon boomers who are convinced they are at extreme risk from Covid-19 when they even leave their house. 

I do not think they are - the ones I hear who are "stressed" "scared" "depressed" are all the snowflakes 

There was a radio programme on world service with loads of young people ringing in saying how stressed they were - no older people rang to say they were stressed

5 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

That's a bit like saying flu vaccinations should be compulsory, rather than recommended, for over 60s in case you pass it on to them, they die, and you spend the rest of your life regretting it.

Not really, but I get where you are coming from.

You know when you have been in an accident and someone died as a result of it, its a massively traumatic event. How likely is it the same could be said of unknowingly passing on Flu? Not very.

We cant mandate (even though we should) vaccination. The tin foil hat brigade would have seizures.

7 hours ago, captainb said:

Expect a token case at some point maybe from someone particularly obstructive. Well published in the media of course. 

While 30% of the people in tesco ignore it as they might need to erm lipread or have asthma or feel uncomfortable or whatever other exemptions people think of

The legislation is incredibly widely written. They don't define severe distress at all. Any half decent lawyer would drive a coach and horses through it, even if it were possible to enforce the face covering rules. Which it is not.

1 minute ago, Chunketh said:

Not really, but I get where you are coming from.

You know when you have been in an accident and someone died as a result of it, its a massively traumatic event. How likely is it the same could be said of unknowingly passing on Flu? Not very.

We cant mandate (even though we should) vaccination. The tin foil hat brigade would have seizures.

No we shouldn't!

Every year I get a letter inviting me to have a flu vaccination, every year I ignore it. My choice, my business, and nothing to do with tin foil hats. If they were to make flu vaccination mandatory I would resist it.

Back on topic. Mandating the wearing of face masks to protect the wearer is wrong, but mandating the wearing of face masks to protect others is a different matter.

9 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Individualism. Exceptionalism. Me so special (mummy told me so). I’m not like the other girls. 

Everyone else is stupid but me. They can’t tell ME what to do! 

:D 

If wearing a mask for 10 minutes is such an onerous task then have your butler do the shopping. 

I have to say I agree and would add that people are in 95 percent of cases wearing them, of course the fine is for the 5 percent who are thoughtless. I said to the wife we should be able to challenge these people, but if course my better half pointed out that in today’s society it would be called shaming them and that’s not allowed.  

6 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

No we shouldn't!

Every year I get a letter inviting me to have a flu vaccination, every year I ignore it. My choice, my business, and nothing to do with tin foil hats. If they were to make flu vaccination mandatory I would resist it.

Back on topic. Mandating the wearing of face masks to protect the wearer is wrong, but mandating the wearing of face masks to protect others is a different matter.

Why wouldn't you want to have a good chance to be immune to Flu? Flu sucks!

6 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

No we shouldn't!

The mask is to protect yourself and protect other from you by preventing you getting COVID.  It’s because your breath forms a mist that transmits it, that now stays in the mask

2 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

The government is being driven by events, but every time they make a decision they alienate segments of the population.

At some point even the most pro-Brexit Boris supporter is going to realise that this government makes life worse for everyone. I'm not sure they can do anything in the short term to reverse this. Seeking out scapegoats to punish, isn't going to change the facts. In every sphere of life, the actions of government is going to make your life worse.

Seeking out scapegoats is the Tory instinct - I'm old enough to remember the vitriol at Divorcees, Single Mothers, Jobless, Gay

57 minutes ago, qejunkie said:

Covid-19 is >70% asymptomatic amongst the working age population. So it will work wonders for other viruses but not CV-19. 

I was talking about the flu actually. COVID is probably >80% asymptomatic...the biggest nothing burger in history. I do wear a mask, in fact early on I was usually one of the only ones wearing a mask as we didn’t understand the virus. Now that we do, I personally do not believe we should be forced to wear masks, but it is not a big deal so I Don’t get upset about it. I am angry about just about every other aspect of social distancing etc now. I suspect that a good 20-30% of the population have had it if you look at all the data (AB tests saying about 6-8%, but people who were asymptomatic would not test positive after a few weeks on an AB test, and since 80% are asymptomatic that makes 20-30% have had it - symptomatic cases are testing negative after a couple of months). Add the fact that some people have immunity to COVID through T-cells that have been generated from other coronaviruses, and then the fact that for the vast majority it is harmless, and we should just be getting on with life as normal now. Peak COVID was March, and lockdown was a case of closing the stable door after horse bolted.

21 minutes ago, satsuma said:

I have to say I agree and would add that people are in 95 percent of cases wearing them, of course the fine is for the 5 percent who are thoughtless. I said to the wife we should be able to challenge these people, but if course my better half pointed out that in today’s society it would be called shaming them and that’s not allowed.  

We’re a society driven by selfishness, it’s sad. No wonder so many people are lonely and feel their lives have no worth. 

And of course you’re not allowed to say anything. If you object to selfish behaviour you can get stabbed in the head.

FFS it’s a piece of material on your face for a short time. We used to have an empire. 

29 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I'm mid 30s - have been voluntarily getting a flu shot for the last 15 years or so. I'm not planing on getting a CV-19 shot for a few years. 

My body, my choice. 

8 hours ago, msi said:

Impotent Government needs to be seen to be tough - the likes of the Daily Fail will lap it up, but it won't get anywhere past some token cases.

BoJo hobbled himself when he let Cummings off for his Specsavers Road trip

All he can do know is posture and point at the 'others' and hope that no one will hold him accountable - sad thing is there are many who are too blind to notice

It’s always a pleasure to read your posts. Bang on the money. 

Went for a wander in and around some shops.....what I saw whilst inside shop, 10% not wearing any face covering nobody questioning and another 20% only covering mouth, nose sticking out of top of mask.....

To be expected, if risk averse or feel anxious or vulnerable best not to visit shops for your own safety point of view.......?