Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Should we pay more tax on Fridays and Saturdays?


Recommended Posts

This what is happening with Sunak's "Eat out to help out" scheme. Go out Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday and pay less tax. Go out at the weekend and you'll pay more tax in the bill.

It's similar to the "surge pricing" that the likes of Uber employ. If demand is (normally) higher at weekends, then charge more - in this case keep the higher tax burden.

Good idea, or a slippery slope to hell?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A large number of service businesses already operate this, except by different marketing : for example no pub would say “double price Saturdays” but plenty say “weekday lunchtime half price special”

airlines are the kings of it

however, it’s fair enough for private businesses to charge what they like for things

i think there has to be a strong public interest reason for the government to do it - I’m not convinced it’s good even in these unusual Covid times.

However It’s not such a dichotomy as “good” or “hell” - and indeed one could argue the government already play in that space with things like Council car park charges that are higher in the week etc

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could make the argument that eating out is more pleasurable mid-week, when it's less crowded and you're more likely to receive individual attention. I'd probably agree with that. I do wonder why people love to flock to mass events like the Notting Hill Carnival or Glastonbury festival. I much prefer a slower pace of life, but I'm obviously in the minority.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

A large number of service businesses already operate this, except by different marketing : for example no pub would say “double price Saturdays” but plenty say “weekday lunchtime half price special”

airlines are the kings of it

however, it’s fair enough for private businesses to charge what they like for things

i think there has to be a strong public interest reason for the government to do it - I’m not convinced it’s good even in these unusual Covid times.

However It’s not such a dichotomy as “good” or “hell” - and indeed one could argue the government already play in that space with things like Council car park charges that are higher in the week etc

Good point - it already happens in the private sector, and if anything will increase.

I suspect it will also increase in areas run by government - and your car park example is a good illustration of that. See also higher tube fares before 9.30am.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As Scottbeard said, many resturants, pub, cafes would have had some form of a low footfall time promotion. Its nothing new. 

Like may retailers would do with Just after Xmas sales (partly to get rid of xmas stock that didnt sell, partly to entice people through the door.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

As Scottbeard said, many restaurants, pub, cafes would have had some form of a low footfall time promotion. Its nothing new. 

Like may retailers would do with Just after Xmas sales (partly to get rid of Xmas stock that didn't sell, partly to entice people through the door.

 

I suspect we are going to be seeing more than a few pre-Xmas sales this year. And even some pre-Xmas closing down sales too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

I suspect we are going to be seeing more than a few pre-Xmas sales this year. And even some pre-Xmas closing down sales too.

We've seen them for several years already, before this situation started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

This what is happening with Sunak's "Eat out to help out" scheme. Go out Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday and pay less tax. Go out at the weekend and you'll pay more tax in the bill.

It's similar to the "surge pricing" that the likes of Uber employ. If demand is (normally) higher at weekends, then charge more - in this case keep the higher tax burden.

Good idea, or a slippery slope to hell?

Actually it is probably a good idea and  is possible now from a technical standpoint, though only good for short duration services.

That said, it should be designed to coincide with peak demand, rather than days/times. The trains are quieter at the weekends, but the restaurants are busier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shrink Proof said:

I suspect we are going to be seeing more than a few pre-Xmas sales this year. And even some pre-Xmas closing down sales too.

2020 calendars already on clearance sale in WHSmith!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

This what is happening with Sunak's "Eat out to help out" scheme. Go out Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday and pay less tax. Go out at the weekend and you'll pay more tax in the bill.

It's similar to the "surge pricing" that the likes of Uber employ. If demand is (normally) higher at weekends, then charge more - in this case keep the higher tax burden.

Good idea, or a slippery slope to hell?

It's not Sunak's scheme, it's Cummings' scheme. Either way it's daft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went with the missus to a local restaurant to try out this half price nonsense. The burger was £17.50, half price would've been a normal price. Except we didn't get that far, we got up and left 25 mins after being seated and given menus because no one came to order our drinks and or food

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about sweep the streets and pick up litter on Saturday and Sunday for cheaper food and drink on Mondays and Tuesdays? Maybe even get the food for free if you're willing to clean up sick and dog turds? Think Treasure Hunt...

Edited by spacedin
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MuayThai18 said:

Just went with the missus to a local restaurant to try out this half price nonsense. The burger was £17.50, half price would've been a normal price. Except we didn't get that far, we got up and left 25 mins after being seated and given menus because no one came to order our drinks and or food

Ha....about says it all.;)

 

Never get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2020 at 12:07, Shrink Proof said:

I suspect we are going to be seeing more than a few pre-Xmas sales this year. And even some pre-Xmas closing down sales too.

The worse thing that could happen is if a Christmas spending spree is cancelled......kids are told we are doing better things together, doing all the things money cannot buy......that is not a five minute wonder, unwanted throwaway plastic toy.;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2020 at 10:27 AM, scottbeard said:

however, it’s fair enough for private businesses to charge what they like for things

Agreed

On 8/11/2020 at 10:40 AM, Trampa501 said:

You could make the argument that eating out is more pleasurable mid-week, when it's less crowded and you're more likely to receive individual attention. I'd probably agree with that. I do wonder why people love to flock to mass events like the Notting Hill Carnival or Glastonbury festival. I much prefer a slower pace of life, but I'm obviously in the minority.

Agree on all counts - I have - no interest at all in being at some crowded event unless it is sport

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2020 at 20:29, MuayThai18 said:

Just went with the missus to a local restaurant to try out this half price nonsense. The burger was £17.50, half price would've been a normal price. Except we didn't get that far, we got up and left 25 mins after being seated and given menus because no one came to order our drinks and or food

But you're meant to scan the bar code on the table, download the app, setup the credit card and order everything via the app.   You are still expected to tip the service for not breathing into your food.

Anyone noticed any pricing / app / website glitches causing you to pay more, such as paying extra for a dash of mixer when ordering a standard measure, when the price is usually included.

Still going out this weekend to eat out should be nice and quiet :) for example today Thurs has been completely dead of people movements around englands 2nd city centre.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2020 at 19:05, winkie said:

The worse thing that could happen is if a Christmas spending spree is cancelled......kids are told we are doing better things together, doing all the things money cannot buy......that is not a five minute wonder, unwanted throwaway plastic toy.;)

The retailers based on Oxford Street are calling for the Christmas lights to be turned on early this year.  November already seems early enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

The retailers based on Oxford Street are calling for the Christmas lights to be turned on early this year.  November already seems early enough.

Given the reluctance of Priti Patel to give space for Middle Eastern migrants, should we be celebrating Christmas at all?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, msi said:

Given the reluctance of Priti Patel to give space for Middle Eastern migrants, should we be celebrating Christmas at all?

Not to mention the risks of improbable cross-species transmission if we were to allow them to stay in a stable.  Also, what about quarantine for the visiting shepherds and wise men... or... should we assume that the guiding starlight will only appear after the Brexit withdrawal phase is complete?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

The retailers based on Oxford Street are calling for the Christmas lights to be turned on early this year.  November already seems early enough.

They can't wait for people to get out spending again, Christmas is a good excuse than ever. You either decide you will or decide you won't......nobody will think any worse of you, could put your creative hat on and make/create something original, lots of thought and effort put into that...... chutney anyone.?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 418 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.