House Price Crash Forum

Luxury Battersea Apartment buyer realises it's actually a glass box

HOLA441

Interesting sign of the times:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53670199

Battersia back to Battersea.

"I spent seven weeks isolated there and realised that I absolutely hated it," she told the BBC.

"When you take away all the amenities that these developments advertise, then you realise you're just living in a glass box.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
24 minutes ago, bomberbrown said:

She should count her lucky stars she found a greater fool to buy the glass box off her. <_<

I didn't see anywhere in that article that it said she sold her glass box. 

Joanna took swift action to remedy her plight. She moved to the village of Datchworth Green in Hertfordshire, where she now has a five-bedroom house with a garden and a view overlooking a cricket pitch.

The story only said that she moved. Given the timeframe, and the fact that no one ever sells their first house these days, i assumed she had become one of the millions of 'accidental' landlords.

HOLA446
43 minutes ago, sammersmith said:

The story only said that she moved. Given the timeframe, and the fact that no one ever sells their first house these days, i assumed she had become one of the millions of 'accidental' landlords.

+1 Got IO written all over it. Also would explain why she bought in such an undesirable place. 

HOLA447
HOLA448
20 minutes ago, ebull said:

If she still owned why would she talk the place down. She's an EA/LA remember.

Ummm ... maybe she was cough cough r e n t i n g

.... and has moved back to live with mummy and daddy/

For a minute I thought how presumptive of me, but the answer is in the second  paragraph.

When the coronavirus lockdown began, asset manager Joanna Coghlan knew she just had to get out of London and move to the countryside. She had bought a flat in a new development at Battersea Power Station only last year. The complex included restaurants, spas and bars

Though maybe mummy and daddy are very rich, and a flat in Battersia is like an uncomfortable pair of shoes!!!

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA449
HOLA4410

"The website said some urban home owners may have benefited from strong house price growth over the years, making it possible to now trade up and out to the country."

If everyone is moving out, who is moving in?  If this article is correct then prices would be crashing dramatically in the city.

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, Wayward said:

"The website said some urban home owners may have benefited from strong house price growth over the years, making it possible to now trade up and out to the country."

If everyone is moving out, who is moving in?  If this article is correct then prices would be crashing dramatically in the city.

It’s now worth less than she paid for it, but she is an intelligent asset manager so she knows what she is doing 

I hope she never manages any of my assets 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
9 hours ago, shlomo said:

It’s now worth less than she paid for it, but she is an intelligent asset manager so she knows what she is doing 

I hope she never manages any of my assets 

It seems working in finance does not need any skill as a bailout makes up the shortfall for stupidity.  at least the poor girl has a 5 bedder to slope off to.  hard life.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 06/08/2020 at 21:41, Wayward said:

Councils and buy to let landlords - bankrolled by housing benefit payments? Only the middle classes/well off will be moving out - the poor won't be.

A lot of these -plush developments will just become new social housing - most new build estates have social housing sections already anyway so they might as well just expand out.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 06/08/2020 at 21:28, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

For a minute I thought how presumptive of me, but the answer is in the second  paragraph.

Though maybe mummy and daddy are very rich, and a flat in Battersia is like an uncomfortable pair of shoes!!!

I doubt a 5 bed house overlooking the cricket pitch in a Hertfordshire commuter village 25 mins on the train from London is exactly cheap!

The only 5 bed house recently gone SSTC in that village is a cool £1.5 million. So just your average BBC licencepayer!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-94233404.html

She must be managing a lot of assets - or as you say mummy or daddy or an inheritance from granny helped?

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
6 hours ago, richmondtw said:

Doing that job she will not need family assistance

Equally if someone has family who are able to help them good luck to them

I think the point I was making was the BBC's presentation of her being some typical person relocating from London to rural England when she was just moving up to Knebworth which has a shorter commuting distance to zone 1 than many parts of London!