House Price Crash Forum

If could choose any place to live, here or abroad, taking into consideration economy, quality of life, safety, price of property, community and climate.....a good place to bring children up and a good place to live if elderly .....where and why?;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First choice would be exactly where I am now.  I don't own at the moment because I see it as stupidly over-priced, but when (if) that obstacle ever gets removed then I'm in!   Before Coronavirus I was also going on a recce to Spain to check out Girona because it's supposedly a cycling paradise but sadly I haven't yet been able to go and find out if that is my fantasy second choice.  And it certainly wouldn't be a reality second choice right now.

Edited to add - "where I am now" is Herts/Beds/Cambs area - don't want to be more specific than that.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
11 minutes ago, winkie said:

If could choose any place to live, here or abroad, taking into consideration economy, quality of life, safety, price of property, community and climate.....a good place to bring children up and a good place to live if elderly .....where and why?;)

Lisbon. Good weather, friendly people, low crime and cheap.

27 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

First choice would be exactly where I am now.  I don't own at the moment because I see it as stupidly over-priced, but when (if) that obstacle ever gets removed then I'm in!   Before Coronavirus I was also going on a recce to Spain to check out Girona because it's supposedly a cycling paradise but sadly I haven't yet been able to go and find out if that is my fantasy second choice.  And it certainly wouldn't be a reality second choice right now.

Edited to add - "where I am now" is Herts/Beds/Cambs area - don't want to be more specific than that.

Could it be possible to live in two places....50:50.

......own one place cheaply and rent another place cheaply?;)

23 minutes ago, Mat1111 said:

Large parts of Portugal are cheap - Lisbon isn't that cheap anymore is it?

My ideal choice is anywhere peaceful and quiet without noisy neighbours and screeching and stomping kids and barking dogs. Not too fussy really!

Perhaps explains why enjoyed that film a Quiet Place! 

Edited by MARTINX9
4 minutes ago, winkie said:

Could it be possible to live in two places....50:50.

......own one place cheaply and rent another place cheaply?;)

That would be the dream.  Bizarrely the current situation makes that more of a possibility (I will no longer be office based) and less of a possibility (travelling freely between the two could be a constant problem).  Funny old world.

24 minutes ago, Mat1111 said:

Is this just a dreamer's thread or are we taking into account practical things.eg :

The possibility of you finding a reasonably paid job in Lisbon is low.

Then you have the language difficulty. As you are an adult you will have to study this for years - you don't just 'pick it up'.

Then what happens to your status after Brexit, access to schools and healthcare etc - that's unknown at the moment.

There is no ideal, really. All the places with great climates require learning a foreign language or have unacceptable crime levels/low employement/poor educational systems. There’s nowhere IMO with all these factors at 10/10.

Economy

Quality of life

Safety

Price of property

Community

Climate

Although I’d also add political situation. 

If you don’t mind the insane distance, casual racism/homophobia/misogyny and extreme climate chaos then parts of Australia would be fine. 

2 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

If you don’t mind the insane distance, casual racism/homophobia/misogyny and extreme climate chaos then parts of Australia would be fine. 

Ha ha, I have also been weighing up these exact factors in my mind recently.  Not that I think they'd have me anyway!!

4 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

There is no ideal, really. All the places with great climates require learning a foreign language or have unacceptable crime levels/low employement/poor educational systems. There’s nowhere IMO with all these factors at 10/10.

Economy

Quality of life

Safety

Price of property

Community

Climate

Although I’d also add political situation. 

There is no perfect would agree.....what is it about a different language that puts the fear into many?......?

5 minutes ago, winkie said:

There is no perfect would agree.....what is it about a different language that puts the fear into many?......?

It’s not fear. I’m working on Dutch at the moment, since it’s so close to English and I enjoy Netherlands and Belgium for holidays. 

It’s a barrier, and barriers are time consuming and annoying. An ideal place would not have that barrier. 

I suppose Canada could also fit the bill for you, with fewer bushfires than Oz. 

2 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

It’s not fear. I’m working on Dutch at the moment, since it’s so close to English and I enjoy Netherlands and Belgium for holidays. 

It’s a barrier, and barriers are time consuming and annoying. An ideal place would not have that barrier. 

I suppose Canada could also fit the bill for you, with fewer bushfires than Oz. 

If language no problem would we prefer an English speaking country?.......I would imagine if living and mixing with locals, watching local TV, some extra work and time in learning would soon pick a new language up....?

15 minutes ago, winkie said:

If language no problem would we prefer an English speaking country?.......I would imagine if living and mixing with locals, watching local TV, some extra work and time in learning would soon pick a new language up....?

How many languages do you speak now? If you have a second language then subsequent ones are easier. As with anything, some people find it easier than others. 

And you may find the locals prefer learning English from you instead of the othe way :D 

1 minute ago, PeanutButter said:

How many languages do you speak now? If you have a second language then subsequent ones are easier. As with anything, some people find it easier than others. 

And you may find the locals prefer learning English from you instead of the othe way :D 

One and a bit, could do a bit better, working on it......the time to learn a language is when young, kids pick it up really easily.......we do not do teaching other languages very well.......I do know those who have got excellent jobs here and overseas because they are bilingual.....plenty have put the effort in and invested in learning English to live and work here....... older you get the harder it gets.?

50 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Bermuda is nice.

I probably wouldn't recommend moving anywhere low lying or at risk of the extreme weather and heat coming your way this next 50 years.

What makes you say that?......very expensive Island a long way a way.......?

2 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Large parts of Portugal are cheap - Lisbon isn't that cheap anymore is it?

My ideal choice is anywhere peaceful and quiet without noisy neighbours and screeching and stomping kids and barking dogs. Not too fussy really!

Perhaps explains why enjoyed that film a Quiet Place! 

Cheap for a capital city I guess! 

I feel continually drawn to permanent stealth off-grid motorhome living, moving on daily, especially near water - coastlines and lochs etc. Baron and isolated places would suit the most. 

3 hours ago, winkie said:

It depends what you mean by 'learning a language'. If you just want to learn how to order a beer and some chips and ask for directions to the train station that's usually basic level 1 stuff you will see in a phrase book which you can look up as required.

But to work and live in a place where there are possibly not many English speakers. To be able to converse with locals, often with strong accents not heard on language lesson CDs, to defend yourself in an argument, to get your message across clearly, you need a deep understanding of the language.

As adults we don't have the advantage or the time to be able to learn slowly and daily with personal tuition over many years, that means plenty of studying of vocabulary and grammar - past, perfect, imperfect, future, imperative, subjunctive etc etc.

Quite a task for anyone.

In Britain I find West Wales very civilized - a last bastion! But learn Welsh! It's a great language and it is part of the place. 

Other than that, I might be tempted by Estonia or some East European wood... a house by a lake deep in a remote wood, somewhere in the east would appeal right now. Affordable... would go somewhere with good small farmers so food is good - perhaps S E Europe - Bulgaria/N Greece/the Balkans. 

PS. Be careful in parts - lots of wolves and bears about - get a husky! I've been there a fair bit so have been warned already! And I saw wolves coming down from the mountains at night.

Edited by gruffydd
18 minutes ago, gruffydd said:

In Britain I find West Wales very civilized - a last bastion! But learn Welsh! It's a great language and it is part of the place. 

Other than that, I might be tempted by Estonia or some East European wood... a house by a lake deep in a remote wood, somewhere in the east would appeal right now. Affordable... would go somewhere with good small farmers so food is good - perhaps S E Europe - Bulgaria/N Greece/the Balkans. 

PS. Be careful in parts - lots of wolves and bears about - get a husky! I've been there a fair bit so have been warned already! And I saw wolves coming down from the mountains at night.

At least the wolves aren’t trying to stealth sell the NHS.

If Estonian is anything like Finnish it’s difficult to learn. Finnish being of the most difficult, I was told. 

Having lived in 4 countries my vote for now is UK. I want the benefits of the grid but option to off grid. Land, water, decent town within 20min drive. Woods. No mowing. A pub or two. 

The perfect place is the place you choose it to be.

39 minutes ago, gruffydd said:

Wolves very rarely attack people though, frankly you're ucky to even spot them. Packs of stray dogs however, that's something you need to be wary of.