House Price Crash Forum

Lord Hammond the hypocrite

Phil Hammond former Chancellor under May, remember him? Did precisely F all for the country or to reduce spending or anything conservative in his short lived tenure. 

Well now he's been given a peerage. 

He said this last year:

I’m afraid the Conservative Party has been taken over by unelected advisors, entryists and usurpers who are trying to turn it from a broad church into an extreme right-wing faction. Sadly, it is not the party I joined."

Now this...

What a hypocrite! 

If this isn't a perfect example to abolish the House of Lords i don't know what is.

Standard Tory - no change there.

Blair bottled reforming the Lords - the Right Wing press lauded the lords as a bullwark against him.

Lords should go full Proportional Representation with crossbenchers representing the electorate that didn't vote (i.e. putting the political Lords in the minority)

I think its perfectly appropriate for former holders of the four main offices of state to get a peerage when they quit politics. He is certainly better qualified than most of the 90 Lib Dem bag carriers and party placepeople in the Lords at present - if we need to reduce the size of the Lords I would start with some of them!

30 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

I think its perfectly appropriate for former holders of the four main offices of state to get a peerage when they quit politics.

Why?  Since when do we give out a guaranteed retirement job?

You were voted in and you were voted out. Go find a real job

50 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

I think its perfectly appropriate for former holders of the four main offices of state to get a peerage when they quit politics. He is certainly better qualified than most of the 90 Lib Dem bag carriers and party placepeople in the Lords at present - if we need to reduce the size of the Lords I would start with some of them!

It should be abolished 

1 hour ago, byron78 said:

Some lords really do take the mick. I've heard some awful stories sadly.

i bet they have little boys and girls delivered to the chambers, or lose a couple on a boating trip out at sea. 

2 hours ago, AAA said:

House of Lords is a complete waste of taxpayers money. Should have been abolished long time ago. 

Far too many of them, £300 per day works out to be very expensive....too many of the wrong people, lots of the right people, a gift for special flowers for special favours.

Not against the House of Lords per se.....now turning into what it didn't originally start out to be.....carries on as it does might lose the support of the people.;)

5 hours ago, Warlord said:

It should be abolished 

Agreed, there are plenty of examples of stable democratic countries with a single legislative chamber e.g. Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, New Zealand, Portugal etc.

10 hours ago, msi said:

Standard Tory - no change there.

Blair bottled reforming the Lords - the Right Wing press lauded the lords as a bullwark against him.

Lords should go full Proportional Representation with crossbenchers representing the electorate that didn't vote (i.e. putting the political Lords in the minority)

It's interesting to note that if Charlie boy becomes King, it'll be difficult to justify him being the head of the Church of England given how he's been so vocal about wanting to be the 'defender of all religious faiths'. If so, it would be hard to justify all those bishops sitting in the Lords.

But then the British Monarchy is even less accountable than the Lords and is exactly the kind of institution that doesn't belong in modern British society either. 

Edited by spacedin
11 hours ago, Warlord said:

Phil Hammond former Chancellor under May, remember him? Did precisely F all for the country or to reduce spending or anything conservative in his short lived tenure. 

Well now he's been given a peerage. 

He said this last year:

Now this...

What a hypocrite! 

If this isn't a perfect example to abolish the House of Lords i don't know what is.

He's a self-serving Tory. What did you expect? Morals? How old are you?

On 8/1/2020 at 11:30 PM, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

He's a self-serving Tory. What did you expect? Morals? How old are you?

Not all Tories are self serving or bad there's a few on this very forum...  though the parliamentary party has become spineless and seem ultra loyal to Boris. There is no dissension it seems.

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking its time we banned political parties like they do in the Isle of Man (it think).

Parliament should be made up of 600 independent MPs acting in their constituents interests  just like the old days before we had parties rather than take the 'whip' and have to go along with whatever the leader demands. We seemed to do OK back then! 

What do you think?

Edited by Warlord