House Price Crash Forum

Lloyds falls to a loss as it braces for mortgage defaults

HOLA441
11 hours ago, Warlord said:

I want you and @Ah-so , @warpig, @Switch625 and the others talking drivel in that thread to put your money where your mouth is. If the banks are so sound and fully guaranteed by the state surely you would be investing in them at these levels. This could be the opportunity of a life time, after all.  Or maybe you're all hypocrites and trolls?

Customers deposits under 75k are guaranteed by UKGOV.

The banks equity isnt.

With low rates, high regulation, excess capacity, 10 years of suspect lending, an inflated housing market etc I dont think UK banks are a great investment.

Im happy that the BoE bank resolution process will be used and work, giving some niggles.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
On 02/08/2020 at 19:55, Warlord said:

I want you and @Ah-so , @warpig, @Switch625 and the others talking drivel in that thread to put your money where your mouth is. If the banks are so sound and fully guaranteed by the state surely you would be investing in them at these levels. This could be the opportunity of a life time, after all.  Or maybe you're all hypocrites and trolls?

There are not two outcomes (1) Banks are all about to go bust or (2) Bank shares are the opportunity of a lifetime.

In the middle of those two is a vast, vast space in which Banks are NOT going to go bust, but many other of the different thousands of possible investments out there offer better prospects at present.

And as other people keep telling you - and I'm not sure why you're not listening - the government has not, and will not, bail out bank shareholders.  RBS shares that are more than 90% down on 2007 is quite clear proof of that.  Shareholders lost 90% of their money, yet the bank got part nationalised and depositors lost nothing.   That's what happens when governments bail out banks.

HOLA444
8 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Shareholders lost 90% of their money, yet the bank got part nationalised and depositors lost nothing.   That's what happens when governments bail out banks.

A loss right up until the Government then sell it's shares back to them below market price, giving them an instant (and probably Tax free) profit.