House Price Crash Forum

What is your experian score

HOLA441
HOLA442

I've never given my good-citizen reward scheme a second thought, and neither do I care. Whenever I see the word "credit" I always replace it with "debt", and it helps me keep perspective. 

Edited by Orb

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

997, never understood how Clearscore only give me 510. They use the same data. 

I submit credit data to the Experian\Equifax database and have looked to the data coming back when we do a credit check, but I can't understand why Clearscore drop me 190 points.

HOLA447
4 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Mine is always insanely high - on a good month I get the full 999 out of 999

Shame I'm not planning on getting myself into a shed-load of debt any time soon.

Same here, 999. I'm in the fortunate position of having had a six figure salary for the last 20 years. And whilst reluctant to buy a house (even 20 years ago), I am now sat on unearned gains in that, plus a vast pension. I occasionally let a card run up a little as i always pay my pension first, but always have savings to clear it.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
14 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Same here, 999. I'm in the fortunate position of having had a six figure salary for the last 20 years. And whilst reluctant to buy a house (even 20 years ago), I am now sat on unearned gains in that, plus a vast pension. I occasionally let a card run up a little as i always pay my pension first, but always have savings to clear it.

Yeah, i got a 999 as well but that seems to very common.

HOLA4415
11 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Yeah, i got a 999 as well but that seems to very common.

Think it just means you pay your debts off reliabily.

I've not really ever ran up cards, just occasions spends that I might spread out (as I say I always pay my pension fund first), it is cheaper that way!!!!

I've still got a chunky mortgage, but that again is reliabily paid and is probably not big by modern standards and I have 75%-80% equity in the house, so probably considered a safe debt.

HOLA4416
3 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Think it just means you pay your debts off reliabily.

I've not really ever ran up cards, just occasions spends that I might spread out (as I say I always pay my pension fund first), it is cheaper that way!!!!

I've still got a chunky mortgage, but that again is reliabily paid and is probably not big by modern standards and I have 75%-80% equity in the house, so probably considered a safe debt.

Actually it means nothing.

I asked Experian why my score in now hovering around the mid to low 800s instead of 999 and they refused to explain to my satisfaction, but one thing they were clear about is that lenders do not see the score, only your credit history raw data, CCJ etc. Mine has always been perfect in that I always settle cards in full by DD, pay all bills on time, have no mortgage and have a sizeable sum in the bank, which they have no knowledge of. My Experian score goes up and down faster than the proverbial tart's knickers. If I take out a new phone contract or change energy supplier, ie tiny amounts, down it goes. I don't even bother looking now, too annoying.

In short, the credit score is an Experian sales tool to get money out of you. I signed up for an Equifax free trial and it showed a perfect score, on the same raw credit data, so go figure.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I just checked mine, currently 824 with a note... Hi, xxxxxxxx, your score is ready to grow.... followed by a load of sales guff for credit cards, insurance, mortgages, energy, car finance, car insurance and also how to improve my credit rating by signing up for their in depth paid for report at £15 per month. There is no earthly reason why I should not have a perfect score with Experian as I do with Equifax. I have no debts other than a couple of credit cards and regular household bills, all paid on the nail by DD, and no CCJs or late payments, ever. 

HOLA4419

I take it you guys are signed up to Experian or get your score provided free with another product? Oh I see, it's free on their site. 

The only access I have to a score is through Clearscore but they have their own scoring system out of 700 and use Equifax. I have 459 out of 700 but in my current circumstnaces this doesn't make much difference in my ability to get a mortgage. 

Edited by spacedin

HOLA4420
18 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

I submit credit data to the Experian\Equifax database and have looked to the data coming back when we do a credit check, but I can't understand why Clearscore drop me 190 points.

Sometimes it's because address details on their site aren't up to date. They dropped me 150 points once because of this but once it was sorted my score was restored. 

HOLA4421
19 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Clearscore use Equifax Data.  Experian were going to acquire Clearscore, but felt they'd struggle to get CMA regulatory clearance within acceptable terms so didn't pursue the transaction.

Not all lenders submit their data to all Credit Reference Agencies, so the data across the three can vary a little.

I've had a similar disconnect between my Experian and Clearscore scores.  It just means the models Clearscore use have different characteristics and weightings.  510/700 is still a strong score and shouldn't impact your credit worthiness.

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, spacedin said:

I take it you guys are signed up to Experian or get your score provided free with another product? Oh I see, it's free on their site. 

The only access I have to a score is through Clearscore but they have their own scoring system out of 700 and use Equifax. I have 459 out of 700 but in my current circumstnaces this doesn't make much difference in my ability to get a mortgage. 

I get mine from my bank as part of an anti fraud package. Stops false applications.

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Actually it means nothing.

I asked Experian why my score in now hovering around the mid to low 800s instead of 999 and they refused to explain to my satisfaction, but one thing they were clear about is that lenders do not see the score, only your credit history raw data, CCJ etc. Mine has always been perfect -------- have no mortgage

This is most likely why you are not 999, potential lenders have no way to know you have a 100% own chunky asset like a house they can go after if you default. If you are a good citizen and have a nice mortgage but large equity (30%+) and make regular payments, they know you are accustomed to paying of debt, and have equity to chase if you default. If you want a perfect score, take out the smallest mortgage possible, and over pay it every month, use the money to buy a car outright or something. 

Then you will get 999 i should think.

HOLA4424
1 minute ago, markyh said:

This is most likely why you are not 999, potential lenders have no way to know you have a 100% own chunky asset like a house they can go after if you default. If you are a good citizen and have a nice mortgage but large equity (30%+) and make regular payments, they know you are accustomed to paying of debt, and have equity to chase if you default. If you want a perfect score, take out the smallest mortgage possible, and over pay it every month, use the money to buy a car outright or something. 

I use to get mine through Barclaycard, highest it went was 966 and I've never had a mortgage. Did tend to fluctuate a bit though.

Edited by spacedin

HOLA4425
45 minutes ago, markyh said:

I dont have a house, I ticked with parents and still got 999