House Price Crash Forum

Writer looking for quiet place

Hi. I am a writer with a three-book contract. I am a renter (might be a cash buyer at some point, however).

All I really want is a quiet place, can be anywhere in the UK (currently I am outside Glasgow), which has internet and where I can get on with my work undisturbed.

I am finding it incredibly hard to find anything, possibly because I am spreading myself too thinly. Anywhere outside the big towns only seem to cater for seasonal workers (like Aberdeenshire, Inverness, Moray coast - where I would love to rent, but there is virtually nothing there).

In the towns I get offered places and then they turn out to have hidden faults, noise I am not told about, etc. Naturally, I ask around, but cannot find anything.

I am a quiet chap and no problems paying the rent. I would be happy just in a caravan in a field! Are there any forums where people like me can post an ad? One where you get more genuine people posting (rather than Gumtree or Spare Room)?

That's the thing. It is not that easy. I have not lived back in the UK for long. So if you can point me to a forum where I can find such cottages for rent (viable offers), or specific examples, I would be very glad. It is not that easy; hence why I am posting after trying without much success.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-82427236.html

I've just done a quick search for Bungalows on Rightmove within 40 miles of Glasgow and found this interesting place.

Perhaps pick a place you'd like to live in for a while and search for either bungalows or detached residences. Select 1 or 2 bedrooms as a max or limit your spend and that'll narrow down a lot of possibilities. Here's a couple more from just the one search near Glasgow.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-95126537.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-77796775.html

Good luck with your search and your writing.

I read your post and it set me thinking about any locations which might suit you - say in the North of England - where you could get a quiet, remote place without paying a fortune.

Sadly I realised that there are not many options. The ever growing cities are getting more densely packed and the countryside now attracts a premium price.

So, the coasts? West side you have Cumbria (Lake District - v.expensive) then the holiday resorts, then you hit the metropolises of Manchester and Liverpool, then Wales.

East side you have Tyne & Wear, North Yorks (v.expensive), more holiday resorts, then Hull. As a writer you will know about Phillip Larkin of course - he found Hull inspiring.

Best bet might be South of the Humber on the Lincolnshire coast. Fishing ports and holiday resorts again, lots of caravan parks. Landscape I remember as flat and uninspiring. Windy and rainy.

I reckon the caravan parks may be empty this summer. Perhaps you could negotiate a rental on a caravan for the remainder of summer and take it through the autumn/winter. Or a bungalow on the cliff tops - say you'll take it till it drops! Might put some suspense into your writing!

I can't suggest any web sites - just choose an area and go down there for a couple of days and root about. A lot of locals still advertise in the local paper or in shop windows.

Good luck.

Edited by frankief