House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The savings to the NHS from having a more active population are immense. The £2.5million is clearly a good investment if it gets more peopel cycling.

Diabete alone costs the NHS £10 billion. 

The cost to society of obesity is estimated to be about £27 billion. 

Edited by spacedin
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I heard there were only 50,000 vouchers, so probably the rush to get one has crashed it.

50,000 dads desperate to keep avoiding their families at the weekend. “But it’s exercise darling.”

Help to Avoid

Edited by ForGreatLager...

Wont make much difference to health of population. Every overweight person knows they could benefit from more exercise and a better diet. Schemes and advice aimed at adults (children are a different matter) will only benefit those who would be cycling anyway. An old saying, a good scare is better than good advice, and unfortunately with regards to health that is largely true. 

1 minute ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

I looked at the site. I though the initial reg was for bike fixers, not riders yet?? 

Fixers at the top, I scrolled down and got to rider registration. Its just gone to a bit of text now with traffic volume excuse.

I think I might have fixed the website.

Fix Your Bike Voucher Scheme Website

Due to extreme volumes of traffic this resource has been temporarily paused whilst we take action to improve performance for users

Please try again later today

Its now saying something else, looks like its over though.

Fix Your Bike Voucher Scheme

Thank you for your interest in the Fix Your Bike Voucher Scheme. There are no vouchers available right now. Vouchers are being released gradually to reflect the capacity of the bike repairers signed up to the scheme. More vouchers will be made available as soon as possible.

Edited by smash

Some clever sh*t entrepreneurial sprit has decided to buy up all 50,000 vouchers and will now lend you an inner tube...

...for only 5% the value of your bike. Come on they're not giving it away!

7 hours ago, spacedin said:

The savings to the NHS from having a more active population are immense. The £2.5million is clearly a good investment if it gets more peopel cycling.

Diabete alone costs the NHS £10 billion. 

The cost to society of obesity is estimated to be about £27 billion. 

That's not the half of it.

Heart disease, diabetes, alzheimers and obesity are usually all symptoms of the same disease; metabolic dysfunction brought about by the consumption of seed oils and refined carbs.

There's a study which shows that even informing diabetics about the benefits of reducing carb intake could save billions of dollars annually in the US.

Activity helps, but you cannot outrun a poor diet.

9 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I heard there were only 50,000 vouchers, so probably the rush to get one has crashed it.

Another ineptly run website?  

I suspect there was an 'urgency' on the Governments part to launch this and the website administrators were ignored when they suggested waiting a few days and actually making sure the site could handle the traffic.

8 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

Wont make much difference to health of population. Every overweight person knows they could benefit from more exercise and a better diet. Schemes and advice aimed at adults (children are a different matter) will only benefit those who would be cycling anyway. An old saying, a good scare is better than good advice, and unfortunately with regards to health that is largely true. 

Pretty much this, which is what a lot of the nannying we get misses. More cycling is a worthwhile goal mind you, but encouraging it will require a different approach (scares only work for so long and people have had enough wolf crying with routine ones to ignore them), and that approach will require something that's absolutely unacceptable these days - continued, long-term ongoing commitment, rather than a one-off quick fix and never have to touch again approach.

Pointless waste of money and won't make a difference.

Most people who get the voucher will give up cycling after a couple of days and make excuses like it's raining. 

Or you go to the shop with the £50 voucher and they tell you it's going to cost £200. So then you leave and don't get the bike fixed.

8 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

Cycling a few yards to work or for leisure doesn't make a big impact IMO. Walking seemed to get better results.

One winter I was walking a total of 5 miles daily from station to workplace and found at the end of the winter I was best weight and fittest ever.

Following winter put the bike on the train and was nowhere near as good.

While motor traffic may drop for a variety of reasons it may not be enough, regrettably, to avoid an increase in accidents. 

Meaningful, safe, cycle lanes are often beyond possible due to the layout of Britain's roads, available space and funds plus the apparent inability of designers of the lanes to appreciate the needs of drivers and riders in respect of each other.

Though a small amount of exercise is better than none, I guess. At least it'll create another opportunity to waste even more money.

10 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

Cycling is often just about getting from A to B. After a few weeks, people get use to it and it becomes as natural as walking down the road. 

Ultimately, it gives you a baseline level of fitness that prevents health problems in part by staving off obesity, improving lung capacity and generally just getting the blood flowing which should help prevent conditions like dementia, cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure.

It also I would argue, significantly improves the mental health of many.

Edited by spacedin
2 minutes ago, Lewis Gordon Pugh said:

Fat people are going to stay fat because they have already chosen that route. None of these schemes ever work. Add to that biking in most of Britain is pretty dangerous unless you are fit and observant. 

Yeah, I wouldnt be that bothered if it wasnt costing everyone £££, because nobody is listening. Most people would literally have to have their car keys prised away and be marched to a local bike shop if the scheme is going to work

12 minutes ago, spacedin said:

Cycling is often just about getting from A to B. After a few weeks, people get use to it and it becomes as natural as walking down the road. 

Ultimately, it gives you a baseline level of fitness that prevents health problems in part by staving off obesity, improving lung capacity and generally just getting the blood flowing which should help prevent conditions like dementia, cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure.

It also I would argue, significantly improves the mental health of many.

Absolutely yes.

5 minutes ago, Lewis Gordon Pugh said:

Add to that biking in most of Britain is pretty dangerous unless you are fit and observant. 

Primarily caused by a lack of dedicated cycleways - a gravel strewn 1ft verge does not count as a managed cycle lane, and the usual moronic car drivers that don't give way to anything less than 1 ton.  The same lot that moan that cyclists are the root of every accident and come up with moronic ideas like bike plates and insurance.

2 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

Cycling a few yards to work or for leisure doesn't make a big impact IMO. Walking seemed to get better results.

One winter I was walking a total of 5 miles daily from station to workplace and found at the end of the winter I was best weight and fittest ever.

Following winter put the bike on the train and was nowhere near as good.

While motor traffic may drop for a variety of reasons it may not be enough, regrettably, to avoid an increase in accidents. 

Meaningful, safe, cycle lanes are often beyond possible due to the layout of Britain's roads, available space and funds plus the apparent inability of designers of the lanes to appreciate the needs of drivers and riders in respect of each other.

Though a small amount of exercise is better than none, I guess. At least it'll create another opportunity to waste even more money.

Yes B59, I would say the 2.5 mile trip to work rolling along the tarmac is probably no more than a warm up and not much training effect.

Agree with you about cycle lanes, one minute you are in a safe channel, then it ends and you are spewed out into the hell of a rush hour main road. Or you are in a cycle lane that is used for residents parking in which case you are dodging back in and out of the main traffic flow  - more perilous than staying on the main road in the first place. Favourite for me is when I am in a local cycle lane and pass the car sales lot - unfortunately he displays about 20 of his cars using a section of the cycle lane!