House Price Crash Forum

No idea about yours, but mine is full of people, posting long messages about being out of work for months, no jobs available and countless nights spent on tailoring the applications for the few openings available. It is depressing. 

Edited by Neapolitan
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing contract project managers i knew, who were all very billy big balls / permies are mugs, now suddenly post rambling messages about 'discovering themselves' through extended family camping trips and such like. Some are still posting that they are 'open for new opportunities' etc

1 minute ago, sammersmith said:

'discovering themselves'

"Unemployed" or at significant risk.

I work for a consultancy and the big hitters are seemingly top of the chopping board. If you aren't fee earning, off you go. Many rumoured to be on £100k + are struggling to find a client willing to pay those rates in "at risk" sectors.

100% this.

Engineering contractors who have been making a mint now out of works for months, willing to take contracted roles etc.

its a bit rubbish for them as who could see this coming? at least 2007 was pretty obvious. 

but i guess if your the average PAYE bloke security is worth something.

21 minutes ago, Neapolitan said:

No idea about yours, but mine is full of people, posting long messages about being out of work for months, no jobs available and countless nights spent on tailoring the applications for the few openings available. It is depressing. 

I've seen a few, but then most hot rehired quickly. There seems to still be demand it parts of IT, mainly cloud, analytics and AI. 

Different end of the market, but I have 3 friends furloughed:

1. works in sales/accounts for a steel wholesaler

2. works in a printing works, does lots of fliers for EAs

3. car parts business (now been made redundant)

22 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Sorry to hear of your friends' predicaments. That particular role in such a fluctuating commodity market was always going to be extremely cyclical. Couple that with the decline in British-made steel but yes I do understand it is probably an import steel supplier.

2 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Just back from a lunchtime bike ride. Cycled past train station - under an hour direct high speed to London. Three cars in a car park that can fit 200. A year ago it wasn't always possible to find a space.

Makes you wonder why the government is still ploughing ahead with HS2. Complete behaviour shift in working practices. 

11 minutes ago, PaulTW said:

Makes you wonder why the government is still ploughing ahead with HS2. Complete behaviour shift in working practices. 

When you are extracting money form people at gunpoint, you don't have to worry about silly things like "profitability" or "customer satisfaction".

In fact, if you do those things well, it gives you less of an excuse to extract more money to "improve the services".

1 hour ago, Neapolitan said:

What field are they in?

44 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Different end of the market, but I have 3 friends furloughed:

2. works in a printing works, does lots of fliers for EAs

3. car parts business (now been made redundant)

I've just been asked to resume working post furlough. 

It's half the hours and so half the pay, probably less work involved as things stand.

Although I never borrow money now I got one of those credit score thingies just out of interest and it was (to me) surprisingly high. More recently they sent me an e-mail to the effect that the score had been downgraded, I assume because their system picked up that I'm in aviation (components).

Now again it's gone back up to its former higher level?!  And that was before I got the news I would be working again. Bizarre. 

1 hour ago, Neapolitan said:

Agreed. 

Interesting comment on the application tailoring.. I almost didn't get my current job because the CV scanning software didn't pull out enough keywords from my CV. I'd to phone and badger the agency to get on the shortlist. There were more than 1000 applications, and they used software to whittle that down to 100 based on keywords on the CV, then they actually sat down and read the top 100 to further whittle them down to 8 applicants. 

And there were another 3 agencies doing the same thing to fill a total of 8 jobs. That could easily be 4000 unique candidates for 8 jobs. 

I see even receptionists jobs have more than 1000 applications nowadays. It's heavy going out there. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/22/receptionist-job-manchester-applications-24-hours-uk-hospitality-sector-rising-unemployment

29 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Just back from a lunchtime bike ride. Cycled past train station - under an hour direct high speed to London. Three cars in a car park that can fit 200. A year ago it wasn't always possible to find a space.

Observations like that speak volumes......we can only hope things will improve all be it improving differently.?

On my LinkedIn profile I see lots of Project Managers who are as thick as pig sh*t (I can happily say this because I have worked with them) reshareing articles about Analytics / AI / Data Science  / Kubernetes / Microservices etc. as if they actually understand what is written in the article (trust me they don't).  I think they are trying to reposition themselves as "thought leaders", rather than loud mouth BS'ers.

Also seeing people reshareing CVs of friends or relatives , usually with a note attached saying they are in desparate straits.  I haven't really seen that before.

My job is actually in danger, but I think I can get another one pretty quickly if I need to (I.T. naturally!!), funny thing is I have colleagues in the same boat that are in an absolute panic, and they are in shock that I am very selectively apply for the correct role for me.

2 hours ago, PaulTW said:

TfL have announced to day they are pausing plans for the £30bn+ Crossrail 2 project, the DLR extension to Thamesmead and the Bakerloo line extension to Lewisham - and delaying other transport projects such as the upgrade of the ancient central line trains. Crossrail also delayed - so the central London section won't open next summer now with no revised deadline for its actual opening.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tfl-second-government-bailout-coronavirus-a4507591.html

But HS2 carries on - even though Crossrail 2 was deemed needed to create more capacity at Euston when HS2 arrives!

Nothing really joined up.

Edited by MARTINX9
4 minutes ago, PaulTW said:

If you aren't a STEM graduate it's going to be very very tough

Very many were had, done over, conned.....sold a dream with no substance or access to a brighter future....life is a learning process you shouldn't have to pay for,  or shouldn't have to pay for an infeiror product with no hope at the end of the process.?

18 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

TfL have announced to day they are pausing plans for the £30bn+ Crossrail 2 project, the DLR extension to Thamesmead and the Bakerloo line extension to Lewisham - and delaying other transport projects such as the upgrade of the ancient central line trains. Crossrail also delayed - so the central London section won't open next summer now with no revised deadline for its actual opening.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tfl-second-government-bailout-coronavirus-a4507591.html

But HS2 carries on - even though Crossrail 2 was deemed needed to create more capacity at Euston when HS2 arrives!

Nothing really joined up.

Money will be a scarce commodity in the future. 

i was surprised,  had a call today 6 month term job 3 miles from home 35k pro rata, not great money probably good in this market though gets me out the house for the rest of the year if they pull the trigger.  

2 hours ago, reddog said:

On my LinkedIn profile I see lots of Project Managers who are as thick as pig sh*t (I can happily say this because I have worked with them) reshareing articles about Analytics / AI / Data Science  / Kubernetes / Microservices etc. as if they actually understand what is written in the article (trust me they don't).  I think they are trying to reposition themselves as "thought leaders", rather than loud mouth BS'ers.

This is painfully true. Our PMs have recently been put on 3 day weeks and I can't say the rest of us have noticed. Some struggle with creating Outlook meetings, let alone basic DevOps concepts. The business has for a while been trying to remove the PM role completely, this may be the final nail.