House Price Crash Forum

8 hours ago, Tiger131 said:

Obviously I don't who your pension provider is but mine is one of the the big ones and there is no granularity, it offers a limited choice of 4 investment plans with slight differences in degrees of "risk" but with very similar figures of past performance, ergo there is no choice to speak of.

Please read up on SIPPs. They address your concerns. And I was wrong - it's up to 45% tax relief apparently.

https://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/sipp

image.png.645c2f392aa123feb59a626d1075de95.png

The greatest gift you can give yourself is the ability to be free of forced labour at the earliest opportunity!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, micawber said:

Please read up on SIPPs. They address your concerns. And I was wrong - it's up to 45% tax relief apparently.

https://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/sipp

image.png.645c2f392aa123feb59a626d1075de95.png

The greatest gift you can give yourself is the ability to be free of forced labour at the earliest opportunity!

Agreed. Covid has allowed me to bring mine forward several years. Every cloud etc.

On 24/07/2020 at 09:43, Big Orange said:

Yeah, it's stupid wasteful you have many people who discard a perfectly fine Samsung/Sony/LG flatscreen TV set just because it's a couple of years old and doesn't go up to 12K.

It's a similar attitude to smartphones and people irrationally wanting to change them every year (when I doubled the life of my smartphone and got a dirt cheap contract after 4 years).

Who actually owns this stuff when (if) it's taken to the tip......bet they're under orders not to re-sell......

.?

1 hour ago, cnick said:

Who actually owns this stuff when (if) it's taken to the tip......bet they're under orders not to re-sell......

.?

The council own it when it gets skipped you are allowed to take it from those dumping it before it goes it. 

saying that i pickup a HP 8100 elite desktop pc in the tip while no one was looking and sold it on ebay for £160 3 days later. perfect working order ? 

stuff that gets binned is heart breaking. 

On 24/07/2020 at 17:10, smash said:

I install TVs for a living, I charge my clients to take the old stuff away and chuck it in the skip. TVs get skipped because the newer one looks nicer, thats all. If you want some TVs let me know, i'll send you some.  

Fair enough, although I am surprised there's that much work in TV installing these days

On 24/07/2020 at 00:56, Big Orange said:

That's especially stupid when "dumb" relatively ancient LED television screens can access the internet if you plug in a Firestick or games console (my 10 year old LG has been granted an additional decade with perfectly serviceable 1080p images streamed through its Firestick).

My 55" 4k OLED LG 2016 model is the Pinnacle of flat screen TV's, because from 2017 onwards they dropped passive 1080p/1080p 3D as a function. So touch wood wont be changing that for decades.

2 minutes ago, markyh said:

My 55" 4k OLED LG 2016 model is the Pinnacle of flat screen TV's, because from 2017 onwards they dropped passive 1080p/1080p 3D as a function. So touch wood wont be changing that for decades.

Don't OLEDs have a limited lifespan (they use organic dyes that degrade over time IIRC)?

Edited by Riedquat
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Don't OLEDs have a limited lifespan (they use organic dyes that degrade over time IIRC)?

No idea, but if you are waiting for the new new range of Panasonic big screen plasma's , like a mate has been since 2014, you are in for a long wait still. 

7 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

LG said in 2016 (my model year) they expect 100.,000 hrs , 11 years @ 24/7.  Mine averages 4-5 hrs a day out of lockdown, maybe 10hrs a day since March.  

So should easily last 20-40 years.

9 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

They are rated at 100,000 hours constant use. 

nothing to worry about really.