• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, smash said:

I chucked a couple of TVs

Hypocritical?

15 hours ago, smash said:

full of flat screen tellys that have only been junked because they aint got internet in them

How on Earth would you know that? Did you interview your fellow TV chuckers?

There's going to be millions of bankrupt narcissists shortly, with nothing to show for it but Botox lips. 

Consumption on the scale we've known it is going to be reduced by those millions even if the rest of us carry on spending normally. 

There are children alive today who will watch those bankruptcies happening and say " i m never going into debt". 

How can this not be a sea change in spending habits?

Today the new generation is given more creditability and kudos for getting more for less, do more for less, enjoy life better with less.....waste is not looked upon as a good or better way of living.....excess is looked down upon and extravagance a weakness....gone are the 80s and 90s days of the past......waste not want not.?

Edited by winkie
15 minutes ago, 24gray24 said:

There's going to be millions of bankrupt narcissists shortly, with nothing to show for it but Botox lips. 

Consumption on the scale we've known it is going to be reduced by those millions even if the rest of us carry on spending normally. 

There are children alive today who will watch those bankruptcies happening and say " i m never going into debt". 

How can this not be a sea change in spending habits?

Personally I can't wait for 'Influencers' to be burnt.

To have a sea change, you need a depression level event -

3 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Agreed. Didn’t I get flak for saying something similar about minimalism a while back? :D

Not only do I not want more stuff, I want to get rid of the stuff I already have. Too many clothes I don’t wear. Too many ‘just in case’ items in the wardrobe. 

Proper cathartic it is. Streamlining.

I did this too, had a purge while moving house, it is very therapeutic. Going forward, to ensure I don't become overloaded with junk again I have a 'one in - one out' policy, any new thing that comes into the house, something else has to go.

Life feels simpler with less stuff.

2 hours ago, Locke said:

Hypocritical?

How on Earth would you know that? Did you interview your fellow TV chuckers?

I install TVs for a living, I charge my clients to take the old stuff away and chuck it in the skip. TVs get skipped because the newer one looks nicer, thats all. If you want some TVs let me know, i'll send you some.  

i change stuff all the time, but then i sell it on to pay for the new one and usually getting newer = the same or only spending slightly more. 

changed from samsung 40" led 4k tv to 55" hisense 4k tv  = upgrade cost £70  

8th gen intel laptop to ryzen 7 4800u laptop = upgrade cost 150

overall it cost me nothing as i sell other krap i picked up. 

30 minutes ago, 12fixer said:

I did this too, had a purge while moving house, it is very therapeutic. Going forward, to ensure I don't become overloaded with junk again I have a 'one in - one out' policy, any new thing that comes into the house, something else has to go.

Life feels simpler with less stuff.

Less is best. Less cleaning, less bother. Full disclosure I did just buy a robot vacuum. :D 

2 hours ago, longgone said:

i change stuff all the time, but then i sell it on to pay for the new one and usually getting newer = the same or only spending slightly more. 

changed from samsung 40" led 4k tv to 55" hisense 4k tv  = upgrade cost £70  

8th gen intel laptop to ryzen 7 4800u laptop = upgrade cost 150

overall it cost me nothing as i sell other krap i picked up. 

I tend to furnish with vintage/used. A good vintage chair (Danish, leather, good maker) will outlast any off-gassing DFS number and retain value. 

We simply don’t need as much stuff as we get through. 

We have reached peak stuff. We are now in a post consumerism society.

I tend to buy very little waiting until things wear out. I prefer to spend more for something that will last. I'm happy to repair things but this is often made difficult due to the way things are built and the high cost off spares. 

There is a wonderful irony that the phrase peak stuff was coined by IKEA Director Of Sustainability 

If I'm honest, what this could well mean is that some of those pompous, big headed, up themselves, business megalomaniacs, may joyously go bust.

You've met them, the ones who refuse to even acknowledge the existence of their low earning peasants unless forced to.

There's a few senior employees where I'm based, who are now failing to hit targets, that quite simply deserve not an ounce of sympathy. 

On 23/07/2020 at 23:41, smash said:

full of flat screen tellys that have only been junked because they aint got internet in them. 

Unlikely to be the reason they are in there. Older LCD TVs that had florescent backlights almost always fail with invertor that drives the backlight burning out a component, usually 20p in parts to fix.

Newer LED backlit LCDs tend to fail with double/ghosted images or weird colours. Again pennies in parts to fix. The real issue is the throwaway society which says if it fails, you bin it and buy new instead of having it repaired, which then leads to nobody in business who can carry out the repairs because they would have no customers.

1 hour ago, winkie said:

Bring back the repairers, the spare parts to repair, the ability to repair......so many white goods and electronics are intentionally manufactured so that they cannot be repaired....time for change.?

Agree. My tumble dryer stopped working/heating for no apparent reason. A quick look on the internet revealed a reset switch behind the back panel. Now whether this is safe to activate or not, I have no idea. I just wish we had repair shops like the olden days. Perhaps now we will.

It's been apparent to me for a while that I don't really want for much as long as basic needs are met. I think that the mainstream media "economist" talking heads need to change their perspective. I think after this dies down people might start to appreciate things that they once took for granted such as walking out of their house without being watched and avoided like radioactive waste. 

2 hours ago, winkie said:

Bring back the repairers, the spare parts to repair, the ability to repair......so many white goods and electronics are intentionally manufactured so that they cannot be repaired....time for change.?

That never went away its just that its cheaper to replace than repair most of the time unless you know how to do it your self. 

i repair everything here. 

33 minutes ago, longgone said:

That never went away its just that its cheaper to replace than repair most of the time unless you know how to do it your self. 

i repair everything here. 

Disagree.....parts not available, soldered components made that way so hard or impossible to replace, batteries made difficult to change......billions of tons of washing machines, fridges freezers, dryers, computers, TVs phones, printers into landfill or fly tipped each year, many only a small repair or upgrade that could lengthen the life.;)

The answer to many if these problems might be unpopular (perceived negatively as being too collectivist) but instead of everyone buying their own washing machine, they could share one like our forefathers were used to. Launderettes are usually equipped with sturdy, long lasting industrial type machines and there are many of them so there's redundancy in case of faults. The same might apply to self driving cars, lawnmowers, all sorts of other expensive gadgets that are used infrequently. 

The service charge is many multiples of the cost of the hardware. I swapped out an aerial distribution amp the other day and charged the client 6 times the cost of the replacement unit. I could possibly fix the failed power supply/transformer but is it worth bothering?

11 minutes ago, Pindar said:

The answer to many if these problems might be unpopular (perceived negatively as being too collectivist) but instead of everyone buying their own washing machine, they could share one like our forefathers were used to. Launderettes are usually equipped with sturdy, long lasting industrial type machines and there are many of them so there's redundancy in case of faults. The same might apply to self driving cars, lawnmowers, all sorts of other expensive gadgets that are used infrequently. 

Many high streets would have both a launderette and a hire shop, that is one option if convenient to use......renting is not always the best option, looked at the cost of a wash and dry without detergent about £9......far too expensive, £40 min a month and very time consuming imo.

Domestic machines should be made to last far longer than they are timed to last......repair jobs are new jobs for local people, local garages mean local jobs.

Car sharing has to be encouraged, sharing resources....renting cars would be very expensive over time.....owning and sharing is better, sharing the costs.;)

19 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

That is crazy

Yeah, plus we had the sad death of plasma in the 2010s:

My 1080p Panasonic plasma tv set, which we got in 2014, is alright for another 4-5 years of use (until a decent 4K TV is dirt, dirt cheap by then) easy.

Edited by Big Orange

£9!? How things have changed since I last did this. In some countries apartment blocks have their own clothes washing facilities in the building, usually in the basement. I don't think it should cost £9 to do a wash if it's done on a non-profit basis. Modern technology creates more possibilities for a sharing economy. IMO it's legacy attitudes that hold it back. In Vietnam you can get your clothes laundered and ironed for a small fee. This is a true service economy and it provides employment for thousands. Whether  laundry robots and serviced accommodation and apartments become more normal in future depends on mindsets I think. 

As someone who gets to mend all sorts of stuff at our local Men In Sheds. I can tell you that people throw out stuff for the laziest of reasons. Most Dysons are just clogged up with crap. People think that because they are 'bagless' they need no maintenance. One Henry donated the other day was mechanically fine, it just stank to high heaven of dog poo. Some stuff is definitely made to break, like the electric tipping chairs which transmit 4000N through a 3mm shaft. I had an internal door latch replacement break in two weeks when the alloy casting disintegrated.

Here is a tip for saving a phone or tablet that has its battery glued in or a cracked screen. Do not use a hot air gun or hair dryer to soften the glue. Use a hot water bottle and a blanket, the glue softens well below 100 degrees allowing you to lever it apart. A hot air gun is just too hot and likely to damage the device. My HTC One is on its third battery.