House Price Crash Forum

During this 'lockdown' period I've come to the realisation that I don't need very much more than I already have.

Other than running water, food (wine, beer, JD), rent, electricity and fast broadband, I can honestly say that I don't miss anything else that I thought I needed to be a "successful" person.

I know I'm lucky ('lazy' I.T guy) as I've been working from home since March, but I also know that many people on furlough are thinking the same.  Change is already here and I think it's as big a revolution as the industrial.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Consuming sh1t is quite literally rubbish. I did a run down to the tip ("recycling centre") the other day and its environmentally criminal. There's a massive skip I chucked a couple of TVs into that was full of flat screen tellys that have only been junked because they aint got internet in them. All those rare metals etc. goes on a barge on the river Thames and ends up somewhere, phuck knows. Human values need to change.

1 hour ago, smash said:

There's a massive skip I chucked a couple of TVs into that was full of flat screen tellys that have only been junked because they aint got internet in them. All those rare metals etc. goes on a barge on the river Thames and ends up somewhere, phuck knows. Human values need to change.

That's especially stupid when "dumb" relatively ancient LED television screens can access the internet if you plug in a Firestick or games console (my 10 year old LG has been granted an additional decade with perfectly serviceable 1080p images streamed through its Firestick).

Edited by Big Orange
10 minutes ago, Big Orange said:

That's especially stupid when "dumb" relatively ancient LED television screens can access the internet if you plug in a Firestick or games console (my 10 year old LG has been granted an additional decade with perfectly serviceable 1080p images streamed through its Firestick).

Yep, or an Android telly box. When we had CRT people would have the same TV for a couple of decades now its change them like underpants.

Good Lord. SJL posted something I can agree with.

Yeah, I've reached the point where everything I buy needs to serve a practical purpose, and I can't see that ever changing. No more buying stuff just because it's cool.

And if this becomes common, the economy is going to implode. So much of it is just based on convincing people to buy things they don't need because some advert told them it would make them feel better for five minutes.

8 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

During this 'lockdown' period I've come to the realisation that I don't need very much more than I already have.

Other than running water, food (wine, beer, JD), rent, electricity and fast broadband, I can honestly say that I don't miss anything else that I thought I needed to be a "successful" person.

I know I'm lucky ('lazy' I.T guy) as I've been working from home since March, but I also know that many people on furlough are thinking the same.  Change is already here and I think it's as big a revolution as the industrial.

When people realise this they can redirect consumer spending into pensions and retire X years earlier. It's a double-whammy. More pension investment. Less pension required to support more frugal lifestyle.

4 hours ago, MarkG said:

Good Lord. SJL posted something I can agree with.

Yeah, I've reached the point where everything I buy needs to serve a practical purpose, and I can't see that ever changing. No more buying stuff just because it's cool.

And if this becomes common, the economy is going to implode. So much of it is just based on convincing people to buy things they don't need because some advert told them it would make them feel better for five minutes.

No more buying stuff because told it is cool, when it is not cool and not necessary.?

Totally agree OP but still think it will only be people who can step back and look at their own consumption behaviour. Some people are so invested in parading their latest purchases across their vanity social media platforms that they will never cave into the consumption demise.

This did make me laugh a few weeks back, back to the norm....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-53048264

A few years ago I was asked to leave a rented property I had been in for about 8 years, the landlord wanted to move in himself, so gave me 6 weeks to leave, it was right over Christmas (nice)

A lot of rushing to find a new place to rent and my savings were at a low point, that made me feel financially insecure so after that I decided to save as much as I could, making my earnings as high as poss and living costs as low as poss. Just like the OP I realised I had everything I needed in life and I could just stop buying crap.

So far this year I think I have only bought a new kettle.

But I'm not living like a monk, I just have everything I need, including for my hobbies. 

It's kind of a revelation isn't it, I went a in BM Store before lockdown and saw so many people buying so much, I just thought you don't need all that crap, but at the same time you feel yourself looking at things wondering if you should buy anything before snapping yourself out of it. I very rarely would go in a big store these days.

I posted a while back that this COVID pause would break people of certain habits associated with coffee, breakfast dinner etc. Also browsing in charity shops will suffer.

What else is in a typical high street other than cafes and charity shops???? Betting shops? Well thats on line too!

It is this change in behavior that will cause some of the economic troubles that lie ahead.

3 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

It is this change in behavior that will cause some of the economic troubles that lie ahead.

Spot-on.  I assume it’s one of the reasons the Nasty Party are urging us to go back to the shops.

12 minutes ago, dougless said:

Spot-on.  I assume it’s one of the reasons the Nasty Party are urging us to go back to the shops.

Oh yes...I believe that is a political decision based on the lobbying of their sponsors. All carried out in indecent haste.

I have really enjoyed the reaction of the ownership class over the spring and summer.

53 minutes ago, 12fixer said:

Just like the OP I realised I had everything I needed in life and I could just stop buying crap.

So far this year I think I have only bought a new kettle.

Good to see another cohort of HPC'ers adopting a frugal lifestyle.

Competitive frugality has been a recurrent theme with some excellent threads and advice over the years.

BTW, there are often free kettles on freecycle and very cheap ones on Gumtree, since charity shops generally won't take electrical items.

The issue is that not spending on consumption drastically slows the velocity of money. And this is why we have no inflation and the central banks can get away with QE and eroding our savings. 

A new economic equilibrium will be needed if people drastically reduce consumption. 

8 hours ago, smash said:

Yep, or an Android telly box. When we had CRT people would have the same TV for a couple of decades now its change them like underpants.

Yeah, it's stupid wasteful you have many people who discard a perfectly fine Samsung/Sony/LG flatscreen TV set just because it's a couple of years old and doesn't go up to 12K.

It's a similar attitude to smartphones and people irrationally wanting to change them every year (when I doubled the life of my smartphone and got a dirt cheap contract after 4 years).

24 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

I have really enjoyed the reaction of the ownership class over the spring and summer.

..and the reaction of their toady's.  Hilarious seeing people become armchair virologists and talking about the 'freedom' to get a haircut.

10 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

10 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

Been decluttering for 3 years now & guess what?  Somehow as the collection of gadgets I'd been curating diminished, those 'roundtoit' jobs like photo scanning, photo & video editing, reading pile have magically started happening ?

Also furlough & financial difficulties of others are a Brill opportunity for cheap upgrades.  Just sold consumer grade Panasonic G5 & bought an Olympus EM-5 + 2 part battery grip to replace it. Net cost £67.  Beautifully made with many pro features like fully customisable controls, weather protection & 9fps shooting.  Would have been £700 new.

It's an I'll wind...

I agree, the only thing I spend my money on now is the odd video game, plants and food.

That chemical high you get from buying tat never lasts and you end up chasing the dragon. You may as well have a coke habit.

I've taken to less consumption by spending more time (and sometimes more money) on getting the initial purchase right in the first place. If done correctly the desire to change is dead years down the line.  

35 minutes ago, Postman said:

That chemical high you get from buying tat never lasts and you end up chasing the dragon. You may as well have a coke habit.

Indeed, hence BoJo's "get back to work plebs" calls.  As someone posted earlier, it is nice to see the owning class sweating it for once in their lives.

Edited by blackhole
1 hour ago, Freki said:

The issue is that not spending on consumption drastically slows the velocity of money. And this is why we have no inflation and the central banks can get away with QE and eroding our savings. 

A new economic equilibrium will be needed if people drastically reduce consumption. 

So would you not say the reduction in consumption compensates for the reduction of spending power of savings.... equilibrium.?

2 hours ago, blackhole said:

Indeed, hence BoJo's "get back to work plebs" calls.  As someone posted earlier, it is nice to see the owning class sweating it for once in their lives.

Absolutely. Having zero debt and a rapidly growing savings account beats the thrill of buying cheap Chinese plastic goods and t-shirts made by 10 year Bangladeshi kids any day. 

Doris and his band of merry men are missing a trick here, we have the opportunity to rearrange our economy and pivot back toward manufacturing. But instead we've blown hundreds of billions keeping the old debt driven consumer economy going. The last throes of broken system being pushed by a short sited populist government desperate to, 'get back to normal' so the corporations and keep farming us for profit.

Utter depressing. 

Agreed. Didn’t I get flak for saying something similar about minimalism a while back? :D

Not only do I not want more stuff, I want to get rid of the stuff I already have. Too many clothes I don’t wear. Too many ‘just in case’ items in the wardrobe. 

Proper cathartic it is. Streamlining.