House Price Crash Forum

Advice, Starling Bank closed my account and kept the money

HOLA441

Dear Shlomo

Information has come to light which is of concern to Starling Bank, as such we are closing your account.

Under the terms and conditions of your account, we can withdraw banking facilities by giving you notice in writing, and in-line with company policy, we don't elaborate further on how we've reached this decision.

Your account has now been closed 

The remaining balance of £527.54 will be retained by Starling Bank,

We can’t provide any further information on this decision and unfortunately our customer service team will be unable to provide any further clarification on this matter.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Team Starling

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Starling App is now blank, no data at all

To get legal assistance would have costed £350 which i did not consider worthwhile

I sold food at a festival under "Kosher Foods" so that was the name that people put with my bank details.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
11 minutes ago, Freki said:

A little email to the guardian? they will be happy to dig out the dirt

I have sent them an email saying i want the money sent to a Children's Charity, lets see what happens. 

HOLA446

Just a word of advice against banking apps.

They have wiped my app, i have no balance, no account details, no information on money in, no information on money out, i have no past data at all.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

1. Start a complaint to them and demand a. return of all money, b. copy of all past transactions and details, c. an explanation.

When they refuse some/all of that, ignore any statements that you aren't entitled, their t+Cs say etc and escalate to FOS [ombudsman]. Starling will "discourage" this since it costs x00 that they have to pay FOS regardless.

FOS will rule and Starling will do what they're told.

Start here:

https://www.starlingbank.com/how-to-complain/

2. Use GDPR to demand all data that thatt Starling hold about you. First find out the correct letter templates/words to use. MSE is a good resource for that. Basically they have to give all info/detail they hold on you.

I would probably do both although there's crossover.

Good Luck and thanks for the heads up!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
24 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Bank believes you are up to something criminal.

Running a business in a personal bank account?

I was running a cottage business, but look at the number involved.

FYI I have no records of my banking with starling bank, no evidence that I have ever had a relationship with them they have deleted everything 

Apart from an email that says I opened a bank account and a starling debit card.

i have no proof that I have funds in starling bank as my app is blank of all information 

HOLA4412

Is that "wrong" as in Starling say it's against their T+Cs or "wrong" as in against the law in the UK?

From what he said, he's done nothing morally wrong IMO. It used to be the case an individual could legally trade calling themselves whatever they want but IANAL and it was long ago I was advised I could do that.

From info here he has at most broken a term in a contract [T+C] ewteen him and Staring. That can be overridden by UK law and general rules for banks.

Starling not only have to obey all laws but also whatever standards and procedures are agreed with regulators. The ombudsman is there to test this.

You certainly have the right to the info even if what you were doing is in every way "wrong" [which it wasn't IMO].

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
17 minutes ago, Martin_JD said:

Sounds like you broke the rules.  Are you going to declare these earnings to the tax man?  I can guess the answer.

All £527.54

i am now wary of all banking apps, and I am not a Luddite but will only use banks that have branches 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Go on Twitter and tweet about it including @starlingbank and then say stuff like #StealingBank #MagpieBank (Stealing my shiny coins). 

Get friend to Retweet.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

So what happened exactly, quite a few people transferred money to you under the name "Kosher Foods"? seems a bit harsh, although no doubt technical you must have done something wrong.

So what do Starling assume will happen?  That they keep the money and that is the end of the matter?

Do they offer any right of protest?

I find it quite scary that you have to "prove" that your possessions belong to you.

Edited by reddog

HOLA4421
29 minutes ago, reddog said:

So what happened exactly, quite a few people transferred money to you under the name "Kosher Foods"? seems a bit harsh, although no doubt technical you must have done something wrong.

So what do Starling assume will happen?  That they keep the money and that is the end of the matter?

Do they offer any right of protest?

I find it quite scary that you have to "prove" that your possessions belong to you.

Yes to the first 2 questions.

Do they offer any right of protest? no

I cannot prove my name is "kosher foods" because that is not my name or a T/A  (trading as)

They want verifiable documentation.

It was a pop up market stall so i do not know any of the people who paid me.

Really if Starling Bank was a Bricks and mortar bank then i would not be having these problems.

Edited by shlomo

HOLA4422

It says on their homepage "Changing banking for good"! Certainly they seem to be living up to their promise. Regardless of whether you used the personal account to receive money for a small business, it seems wrong that they've basically stolen your dosh and aren't even willing to discuss it. BTW if they're regulated under the FSA you should be able to prove your relationship with them via credit bureau or through GDPR. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425