• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Actually, you have to claim within 5 years, so in my case it will be 3 x deposit x 5 contracts. so about £10k total, minus 35% solicitor fee.

Can't you do it yourself? Sounds cut and dried.

Although, thinking about it, as you've already involved a solicitor, you should probably continue with them. Fair's fair.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA446
HOLA447

Surely the tenant knew what they were signing - Its their business after all?

Being a residential tenant isn’t a business... there’s a huge difference in the respective positions and responsibilities of the landlord and tenant.

The tenant is a consumer, hence being protected by consumer rights legislation.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

nearly 2 wks since photos taken ... property still not listed ... i wonder if the landlord has discovered a problem with CGT or sommat?  after begging us to leave he'll be begging us to stay lol 

Interesting. Let us know if you get wind of the reason.

Maybe the agent hasn't valued it as high as he hoped, or maybe he has been advised to leave listing it till Jan/Feb in anticipation of that "spring bounce?

2 weeks is certainly a long time, as surely, to do a listing would only take a couple of hours work?

HOLA4415

Interesting. Let us know if you get wind of the reason.

Maybe the agent hasn't valued it as high as he hoped, or maybe he has been advised to leave listing it till Jan/Feb in anticipation of that "spring bounce?

2 weeks is certainly a long time, as surely, to do a listing would only take a couple of hours work?

Owner occupiers don’t tend to view houses if they know there is a tenant in. And investors expect a discount if they are viewing something with a tenant in...especially one who is leaving. 

I think he will need to be very lucky to sell like this. As a minimum I would be painting in the latest colours, new light fittings, fresh blinds and a good scrub.  Otherwise it is a 15/20% haircut. 

Ps get that deposit back or at least ensure it’s protected before you leave. 😉

HOLA4416

Yes, you are having a laugh. I mean the prisons are just heaving with EAs and LLs who have broken these regulations, and it's so brilliantly easy for tenants to take action through our wonderful, cheap and equitable legal system. Good one.

Also what meaningful protection do tenants have when since 1988 there have been fully-legal no fault evictions, now reinstated after a brief suspension? I'm hazarding a guess but where else in Europe does this exist? We top the league table for evictions in Europe: https://www.feantsa.org/download/housing-exclusion-in-europe-evictions-chapter7026448962775795966.pdf with only Luxembourg having a higher eviction rate per head of population.

Edited by nickb1

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

any of you LL's on here take out Tenant Default insurance?. eg

Tenant default (£6.77 per month)

• Up to £50,000 of cover for rental arrears
  • For 12 months
  • No matter how much your monthly rent
  • No excess to pay

We are continuing to pay rent arrears to Landlords whose Tenants are unable to pay due to COVID-19.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425