House Price Crash Forum

James Brokenshire Trying To Defend The Tories Over Russia

3 hours ago, A.steve said:

The illustrations I gave were (almost exclusively) risks to the person who made the decision to engage in the activity - but... one could argue... these activities do put other people at some risk.  The Arctic and Antarctic explorers may fall ill as a consequence of the extreme environment, and... if taken to a hospital by someone well-meaning may spread secondary infections and may delay care being given to another patient.  Similarly, the sky-divers might fall on someone else who happens to be walking where the sky-diver plummets to their demise when their parachute fails to open.  Everything everyone does has some conceivable consequential risk for others... This is why sensible boundaries are important.  It simply isn't sensible to argue that individual freedom should be curtailed whenever there is any conceivable risk to others.

No-one was talking about racing cars - on public streets or otherwise - that's a silly non-sequitur.

I assume you are aware that it is (currently) illegal to require anyone to accept any medical procedure in the UK?  Do you think this statute should be changed?  I don't.

...and you are saying I am being silly :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 22/07/2020 at 14:06, byron78 said:

I may well end up leaving the Tories over this.

It won't matter a jot to them of course.

There are really two types of Tory voter: those of us with money, who know they'll look after us over and above those who don't; The very rabid Sun reading low-IQ prole types, who aren't able to join the dots in a children's colouring book, let alone think critically. All they care about is kicking out the blacks and giving the lazy Jeremy Kyle show guest types a smack as well.

We've always been the party of patriotism for me until now though. This is just INSANELY incompetent, or it's even more disturbing than that.

Either way, I think I'm out. 

No other party I could vote for at the moment mind.

Coming from working class stock and still having substantial interaction with that socioeconomic group, I can confirm this is what it boils down to for many, especially the latter.

51 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

...and you are saying I am being silly :D

The risk that a skydiver kills a random person who is just out for a walk is merely improbable, not intrinsically silly.  You dismiss it because you have assessed that the probability of this happening is very low.  This is a problem, however, as not everyone is capable of making an identical assessment.  Sure - most people would be able to brush off the risk... but it's not so obvious what we should assume the probability to be when you move to a less clear-cut, or more emotive, situation.

For example, what (relative) probability (of catching a serious illness) would you attribute to these two risky activities:

1. Going into an random office and standing in the same room, at a respectful distance, to office workers (not licking each other's eyeballs or engaging in recreational sex) and observing the kind of normal western protocol that has governed typical social interaction for decades.

2. Going into a random shop and standing in the same room, at a respectful distance, to shop assistants  (not licking each other's eyeballs or engaging in recreational sex) and observing the kind of normal western protocol that has governed typical social interaction for decades.

In both scenarios, please assume that the person engaging in these terrifyingly risky behaviours is not wearing a face-bra. full burka, motorcycle helmet, hazmat suit - or similar.

I'm reminded of a joke I liked in the Beano comic.  In it, Dennis The Menace said: "My teacher tells me that hard work hasn't killed anyone yet... So why should I take the risk of being the first?"  Dennis' logic is flawless.  Why should any of us subserviently accept other people's (flawed) assessment of risks?