House Price Crash Forum

Stamp Duty Holiday - Price Decreases

4 hours ago, Timbuk3 said:

Half a million quid to live in Stratford.  FFS.. no thanks. 

I was there earlier.

Westfield is a great place to catch COVID - almost no one wearing masks!

But for £500k you could buy a house out in Hornchurch with a garden 

Edited by MARTINX9
2 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

I was there earlier.

Westfield is a great place to catch COVID - almost no one wearing masks!

But for £500k you could buy a house out in Hornchurch with a garden 

Don’t go to Hornchurch it’s one of the places I am hoping to buy and I do not want the competition!

24 minutes ago, RomfordDon said:

Don’t go to Hornchurch it’s one of the places I am hoping to buy and I do not want the competition!

Try Elm Park or Dagenham East - they are nearer central London. Dagenham East in zone 5 and cheaper and will soon have a Hollywood style film studio!!

Edited by MARTINX9
45 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Try Elm Park or Dagenham East - they are nearer central London. Dagenham East in zone 5 and cheaper and will soon have a Hollywood style film studio!!

Those areas are not as nice as Hornchurch, Upminster and Gidea park

1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

image.png.648e54e62f034087898e6e5a89dae498.png

image.png.b7b0591daffc524ec67d5cd7c361d11d.png

One thing i've noticed a lot with the reductions I'm seeing is the new price often has a 'offers over' label where it did not previously. Property Log does not show any change to this vanity label (offers over/guide price/fixed price/in excess of/etc).

I wondered if the addition of the label is agent spin to get the owner to drop their price or a genuine belief that people will be inclined to offer 10% over the asking price. 

Another reason people drop their price and then put "offers over" is so that appear in tailored searches.  If you have £600,00 as your price then anyone with a cap of £500,000 won't see it.  If you change it to £500,000 then you appear to a whole new bunch of people, without actually dropping the price really.  It's a classic "have your cake and eat it" tactic that tells you so much about the seller.  Mentally I always discount any "offers over" advert because it tells me the seller is going to be a tiresome **** to deal with.

8 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Mentally I always discount any "offers over" advert because it tells me the seller is going to be a tiresome **** to deal with.

I felt the same until 2017 when an agent convinced me to market our last house at offers over £850k.  We had 26 viewings and 3 offers.  The 2nd highest offer was £810k but lo and behold it went quickly for £875k to someone who felt they had to offer over.  Other agents had said market around £875k in the usual way to expect offers in the usual way and that £875k would be top price.  Maybe "offers over" works?

15 minutes ago, JB1973 said:

I felt the same until 2017 when an agent convinced me to market our last house at offers over £850k.  We had 26 viewings and 3 offers.  The 2nd highest offer was £810k but lo and behold it went quickly for £875k to someone who felt they had to offer over.  Other agents had said market around £875k in the usual way to expect offers in the usual way and that £875k would be top price.  Maybe "offers over" works?

I would have expected anyone in a position to offer almost a million quid for a property to be able to see through agent spin.

55 minutes ago, JB1973 said:

Well played for cashing out like that.  Assuming you didnt double down on something even more expensive..

6 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Another reason people drop their price and then put "offers over" is so that appear in tailored searches.  If you have £600,00 as your price then anyone with a cap of £500,000 won't see it.  If you change it to £500,000 then you appear to a whole new bunch of people, without actually dropping the price really.  It's a classic "have your cake and eat it" tactic that tells you so much about the seller.  Mentally I always discount any "offers over" advert because it tells me the seller is going to be a tiresome **** to deal with.

I viewed a property recently with exactly this kind of owner. She was going on about how prices are rising again, and that the markets gone mad. Really liked the house, but way overpriced and I can tell she will not budge till she’s kicked out. Offers in excess of...steer clear of.

8 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Offers over £500,000 for example just means asking price is £500,000 doesn't it?