House Price Crash Forum

Has Britain's house price crash been cancelled – or is it still coming this autumn?

HOLA441
On 22/07/2020 at 22:30, Martin_JD said:

Not true in my multinational. -a definite shift coming from the top.  They are relaxed about home working, and have been for a while.

maybe so, but have you figured in the costs(to the economy at large), of much less fuel petrol/diesel consumed(at 80% tax), the pretentious manget for lunch now substituted for beans on toast, a gallon of starbucks a day not being guzzled,

home working ,companies may be quite ok waith, but the spin offs from NOT home working are going to get pummelled...and with that,comes redundancies.

the last purchase someone will make with the sword of damcoles haning above their head will be is a house.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
On 23/07/2020 at 09:45, Bob8 said:

Certainly if you are based in the UK w/o an EU passport!

Greater constriction of opportunity, now got even more......does anyone feel ever more restricted and tied than could have been.......if things had only been different?;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA443
19 minutes ago, winkie said:

Greater constriction of opportunity, now got even more......does anyone feel ever more restricted and tied than could have been.......if things had only been different?;)

Goddam, you cool cat!

You are my new best friend. Come over to Copenhagen and hand with me bro'!

:D

HOLA444
On 23/07/2020 at 09:23, GregBowman said:

I was going to say Sales and Service are the two areas which worked remotely anyway. Service teams in IT for thirty years have been based at home. You seem to have had an office based sales team many sales teams have always been remote ran a seminar 20 years ago on how to manage effectively remote sales teams  - Missing presumed selling - ?

However bringing through youngsters in both worlds, coaching them, mentoring them- shadowing senior people on service/sales calls

Can't they just watch Glengarry Glen Ross?

HOLA445
4 hours ago, oracle said:

maybe so, but have you figured in the costs(to the economy at large), of much less fuel petrol/diesel consumed(at 80% tax), the pretentious manget for lunch now substituted for beans on toast, a gallon of starbucks a day not being guzzled,

home working ,companies may be quite ok waith, but the spin offs from NOT home working are going to get pummelled...and with that,comes redundancies.

the last purchase someone will make with the sword of damcoles haning above their head will be is a house.

You're looking at a few crap sandwhich shops going under, hardly the end of the world into the gains that come from less people commuting and less pollution.  The quality of life boost and also the up swing in productivity from people not being burnt out from a massive commute is enough to justify it in on itself

HOLA446
HOLA447
9 hours ago, Martin_JD said:

You're looking at a few crap sandwhich shops going under, hardly the end of the world into the gains that come from less people commuting and less pollution.  The quality of life boost and also the up swing in productivity from people not being burnt out from a massive commute is enough to justify it in on itself

+1. I've suddenly been speeding a lot on my house and garden instead of petrol and overpriced lunch. 

HOLA448

You are massively underestimating the impact of this, and your understanding of economics and corporations is very limited.

I have always worked from home, but as a field worker, pre-COVID I was expected to go out 3-4 days a week, now none, and in the future our company says it expects us to be doing most of our meetings by Zoom or teams. I will maybe go out one day a week. When I go out, I spend between 100-300 pounds. Coffees, 1st class train fares, lunches, taxis/ubers, parking, fuel, snacks etc. At home...nothing. Yes, I am more productive but the economy is worse off by 10,000 or more a year just because I will not be going out so much. That money will be saved. My company is a US company, that money won’t get spent elsewhere in the UK. An average commuter probably spends about 40 pounds a day on Coffees, parking, trains, lunch etc. If 2 million people stop commuting that is about 20 billion less being spent just by commuters In the service and transport sector. 

Then you say these are just crap jobs in sandwich stores. The person handing you the sandwich is just one person you see. There are the cleaners, the people who make the sandwhiches, the managers, their managers, the lawyers, accountants, HR etc who are needed for a large volume business. When that business shrinks you need less of those. Even if it is an independent sandwich shop, hundreds of those still need all the high paid service sector types to manage their finances. Sure there are maybe 1 of those for every 50 till operator, but if 2 million store workers lose their jobs, then 40,000 high paid lawyers and accountants lose their jobs.

Then there is the knock on from all these people not spending money as they can barely afford food...it becomes a cycle.

Lastly, you think that working from home is a Nirvana...since I have been forced to do everything by Zoom I have been working harder, and arguably more stressed. However, I am grateful that I am one of the lucky ones who is able to do his job just as well, if not better, in the “new normal”, or not so Great Reset.

Edited by HovelinHove

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, HovelinHove said:

You are massively underestimating the impact of this, and your understanding of economics and corporations is very limited.

I have always worked from home, but as a field worker, pre-COVID I was expected to go out 3-4 days a week, now none, and in the future our company says it expects us to be doing most of our meetings by Zoom or teams. I will maybe go out one day a week. When I go out, I spend between 100-300 pounds. Coffees, 1st class train fares, lunches, taxis/ubers, parking, fuel, snacks etc. At home...nothing. Yes, I am more productive but the economy is worse off by 10,000 or more a year just because I will not be going out so much. That money will be saved. My company is a US company, that money won’t get spent elsewhere in the UK. An average commuter probably spends about 40 pounds a day on Coffees, parking, trains, lunch etc. If 2 million people stop commuting that is about 20 billion less being spent just by commuters In the service and transport sector. 

Then you say these are just crap jobs in sandwich stores. The person handing you the sandwich is just one person you see. There are the cleaners, the people who make the sandwhiches, the managers, their managers, the lawyers, accountants, HR etc who are needed for a large volume business. When that business shrinks you need less of those. Even if it is an independent sandwich shop, hundreds of those still need all the high paid service sector types to manage their finances. Sure there are maybe 1 of those for every 50 till operator, but if 2 million store workers lose their jobs, then 40,000 high paid lawyers and accountants lose their jobs.

Then there is the knock on from all these people not spending money as they can barely afford food...it becomes a cycle.

Lastly, you think that working from home is a Nirvana...since I have been forced to do everything by Zoom I have been working harder, and arguably more stressed. However, I am grateful that I am one of the lucky ones who is able to do his job just as well, if not better, in the “new normal”, or not so Great Reset.

lol.  Thanks for the incredible insight there, captain obvious.  We shall see how much of an impact this has in the long run, there are far more pressing macro economic factors at play in terms of consumer behaviour and the death of the highstreet.     

Anyway working from home can be great, I enjoy it.  Maybe you need a new job if you're so stressed? 

HOLA4411
16 hours ago, Will! said:

Can't they just watch Glengarry Glen Ross?

? To be fair I used to tell my teams to watch Glengarry Glenross, TinMen and Boiler Room - A nice trio Boiler room being the latest and it references GG and Tin men - Tin Men my favourite 

Tin Men - Danny De Vito Richard Dreyfuss Barbara Hershey

Edited by GregBowman

HOLA4412
3 hours ago, Martin_JD said:

lol.  Thanks for the incredible insight there, captain obvious.  We shall see how much of an impact this has in the long run, there are far more pressing macro economic factors at play in terms of consumer behaviour and the death of the highstreet.     

Anyway working from home can be great, I enjoy it.  Maybe you need a new job if you're so stressed? 

Good for you -  best place for someone as rude as you maybe ?  - I am sure your name is in the I don't know who they are column perhaps we can ship their job to Mumbai list - unlike you I sit on a number of boards where we are now looking at those decisions and believe you me thats how they are made.

I am glad your enjoy working from home from going to see it a lot more of it....Working from home in a middling job is spelt Outsource next...?

5 hours ago, adarmo said:

+1. I've suddenly been speeding a lot on my house and garden instead of petrol and overpriced lunch. 

I hope there are no speed cameras......

Edited by GregBowman

HOLA4413
5 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Good for you -  best place for someone as rude as you maybe ?  - I am sure your name is in the I don't know who they are column perhaps we can ship their job to Mumbai list - unlike you I sit on a number of boards where we are now looking at those decisions and believe you me thats how they are made.

I am glad your enjoy working from home from going to see it a lot more of it....Working from home in a middling job is spelt Outsource next...?

You sit on a number of boards?  I'm impressed! You sound very important, even though you don't seem to know the difference between your and you're.

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

I sit on a number of boards where we are now looking at those decisions

Which firms?  Some of us might want to check our investment exposure if they have someone on the board which believes the average commuter spends £40 a day on travel, lunch & incidental!!

That's 1st class season ticket into London terminal & decent lunch territory, Barristers & C-Suite.

Most London commuters spend about £16 - Zone 1-4 cap + meal deal + 1 coffee.  Provinces half that.

It's a huge hit that doesn't need exaggeration.

Personal view- seeing the painful correction play out would be good for society in the long run.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

i do hope all these furloughed and soon to be unemployed have savings and a backup plan to see them through. if loads of offices do go loads of other business will be affected.  no cleaners needed no building services no IT guys less transport less food shopping at lunch time, less hospitality. 

lots of fun ahead

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
4 hours ago, GregBowman said:

That was pointlessly rude from him. I am enjoying your posts, even the ones I disagree with.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Another t1t to ignore.

HOLA4421
5 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Nothing like a wealthy Boomer scorned 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
8 hours ago, Martin_JD said:

You sit on a number of boards?  I'm impressed! You sound very important, even though you don't seem to know the difference between your and you're.

You understood what I was saying though ? and I have found the more senior the circles you mix in that’s all that matters unlikely you will find out though - don’t meet many pedants there it’s that old EQ thing again - Human high IQ robots two a penny 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
3 hours ago, btl_hater said:

Nothing like a wealthy Boomer scorned 

A technologist boomer who has seen this coming for a long time and thinks it’s long overdue - so your right nothing like a wealthy boomer who has been scorned 

Just pointing out that deals, sales and the decisions on your future aren’t made with a laptop on a kitchen table much as some people would like to think so