House Price Crash Forum

Has Britain's house price crash been cancelled – or is it still coming this autumn?

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I have a PhD in molecular microbial science. I have spent years working in vaccine development and later on vaccine facilities (amongst other biopharma). I am currently working on designing equipment to manufacture the vaccine.

I am one of the 99%.

There are two (well, three) possibilities:
- You understand the technology and science far better than me
- You have become cynical of the mass acceptance of "common sense" and conventional wisdom, which has made you vulnerable to russian propaganda and tabloid scare stories (though this is not one that people will accept)
- That I am lying and am a pharmacetical/EU/rugby union/EU shill (I have been accused of them all)

Great. You do you. You can have it, I won’t. I don’t think there’s a grand conspiracy, we have a enough data to see what happens when millions get exposed o the virus and I like my chances there. When we see how millions get on with the vaccine who knows, maybe I’ll get involved. We’re all free people. Aren’t we? 

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, qejunkie said:

Great. You do you. You can have it, I won’t. I don’t think there’s a grand conspiracy, we have a enough data to see what happens when millions get exposed o the virus and I like my chances there. When we see how millions get on with the vaccine who knows, maybe I’ll get involved. We’re all free people. Aren’t we? 

OK, I am free to be one of the ignorant masses and you know better.

As a science professional, we are often told we have to treat the public with respect. But, there is a point at which it is condescending not to call you out for being a fool.

You know nothing, bad a big claim, have nothing to back it up. The appropriate response was "oops, sorry!".

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

OK, I am free to be one of the ignorant masses and you know better.

As a science professional, we are often told we have to treat the public with respect. But, there is a point at which it is condescending not to call you out for being a fool.

You know nothing, bad a big claim, have nothing to back it up. The appropriate response was "oops, sorry!".

Sorry for what? You can have a vaccine and I won’t. I’m not compelling you to do anything. Why can’t I make my own choice? 

An example of madness.  Sold for 640k in May 2017.  New owner puts in a new kitchen and resurfaces the drive and expects a 500k profit, now for sale for 1,150k.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/rusko/field-broughton/grange-over-sands/la11-6hw/12607694

https://www.matthewsbenjamin.co.uk/property/rusko-field-broughton-near-cartmel-la11-6hw

28 minutes ago, qejunkie said:

Sorry for what? You can have a vaccine and I won’t. I’m not compelling you to do anything. Why can’t I make my own choice? 

F*** off.

You are a know nothing who claimed to be smarter than 99% of the population.

You claiming some great scientific knowledge. That is very rude matey. You were actively advising it and you know nothing.

You think you are clever for thinking for yourself, when it amounts to trusting a con-artist trying to sell a different vaccine and Russian propaganda. Yet, you think that makes you know more than the people working in the industry.

You are taking a step back, you should be embarrased.

20 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

F*** off.

You are a know nothing who claimed to be smarter than 99% of the population.

You claiming some great scientific knowledge. That is very rude matey. You were actively advising it and you know nothing.

You think you are clever for thinking for yourself, when it amounts to trusting a con-artist trying to sell a different vaccine and Russian propaganda. Yet, you think that makes you know more than the people working in the industry.

You are taking a step back, you should be embarrased.

You both should be, this is a property forum.

21 hours ago, dryrot said:

OP - Anecdotal, of course: 4 sellers close to me (London, SE, family, neighbours) sold quickly (STC) at asking price. I'm happy for them of course but not from an hpc-view.

Perhaps buyers see mad inflation ahead and need to get real estate...

That's exactly what I see, high inflation.

18 minutes ago, Speed1987 said:

That's exactly what I see, high inflation.

It's the big danger affecting us (and all other countries who are printing/borrowing like mad). If inflation does take off we will see a rush for assets.

It's almost as though all outcomes from here are bleak ones.

1 hour ago, Mancunian284 said:

An example of madness.  Sold for 640k in May 2017.  New owner puts in a new kitchen and resurfaces the drive and expects a 500k profit, now for sale for 1,150k.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/rusko/field-broughton/grange-over-sands/la11-6hw/12607694

https://www.matthewsbenjamin.co.uk/property/rusko-field-broughton-near-cartmel-la11-6hw

To be fair a proper refurb on a place that size would be well north of £250k 

Being cynical, there is no EPC info so hard to tell if it is a proper refurb or just a £50k redecoration. 

However, it might look pretty good value to someone now permanently able to work from home and currently sitting in their +£1m two bed flat.

9 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

It's the big danger affecting us (and all other countries who are printing/borrowing like mad). If inflation does take off we will see a rush for assets.

It's almost as though all outcomes from here are bleak ones.

Even if it does, I think there will still be a chance to buy at prices well below today in the next 12 months. Although, trying to second guess the bottom of the market could  be very risky. 

16 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

it might look pretty good value to someone now permanently able to work from home and currently sitting in their +£1m two bed flat

It might well do. The only problem they have is will some other sucker astute investor pay them £1m so they can move?

1 hour ago, Mancunian284 said:

I have lived in Scandinavia too long. I am struck by the tasteless and relatively cheap furnishing.

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I have lived in Scandinavia too long. I am struck by the tasteless and relatively cheap furnishing.

Its the 24.99 GBP Argos rug in the blue 'TV room' that also 'adorns' my children's bedroom that makes me think I have joined the rich&famous (at least in terms of my furnishings' style) ... except .... um ... no.

1 minute ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Its the 24.99 GBP Argos rug in the blue 'TV room' that also 'adorns' my children's bedroom that makes me think I have joined the rich&famous (at least in terms of my furnishings' style) ... except .... um ... no.

Ah! Not just me then. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Even if it does, I think there will still be a chance to buy at prices well below today in the next 12 months. Although, trying to second guess the bottom of the market could  be very risky. 

Need to see some meaningful price drops before we can start calling the bottom....here's hoping.

9 hours ago, Locke said:

Is there though?

They didn't actually print any real reserve notes; they simply adjusted the numbers on a digital balance book. What makes you think they can't, let alone wouldn't, adjust them the other way if they needed 

But it doesn't matter, it's just available money there is no real money the only control there is is a lending valve. Growth is money supply and velocity. 

People here are hoping to see massive, house price falls 20%+.

Yet if the goverment really wanted that, why Furlough, Stamp duty, QE, bounce back loans, self-employed grants...

Your wishes and reality, are distinctly different.

Logic says, house prices should fall, government intervention says, they are going up, up and up.

You are more likely to see inflation and an increase in house prices over the next 3 years.

Pointing out the odd flat overpriced in London, which isn't selling does not indicate a HPC.

Edited by Speed1987
5 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

However, it might look pretty good value to someone now permanently able to work from home and currently sitting in their +£1m two bed flat.

Depends whether the WFH 5 days a week actually happens long term.  Cartmel is a long way to commute to London (the only place that has £1 mil, 2 bed flats), if the WFH that everyone is envisaging ends up being more like WFH two days and office three days a week.  I think there will be a change but I don’t think the WFH will be 5 days a week longer term.  Especially if a vaccine happens this year.

Edited by Mancunian284

Interesting that some of the more seasoned house price crash regulars are also anti-vaxers.  Say's a lot really about the mind set which seems to be "i'm superior to all those sheep who bought property", when in reality most of them managed to price themselves out of the market years ago.  

Working from home, is a fantasy long term, it's not happening.

Companies are willing to go with it now, due to retaining the company structure and skill set, without measures in place to easily replace these staff.

Once, this is either under control or the envitable accepted, you'll be whipped back to work 5 days aweek.

Edited by Speed1987